Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Canon--Trying to Understand

Canon--Trying to Understand

hpalencar@yahoo.com

I want to be able to contact the right people involved in cameras
under warranty. The situation I have has shown me that to contact the
Repair Department will be an exercise in futility. I also need to
understand what if anything I'm doing wrong.

I had the use of a PowerShot A620 for approximately six months. I
bought a PowerShot A710 IS in January through Amazon/Adorama. I did
not buy an extended warranty and received no response at all for
customer support or technical assistance from Adorama.

In the full year of using PowerShots, I shot consistently in Manual
Mode. I was never told--nor did I encounter--any shooting situation
that precluded or pre-empted the ability to use Manual Focus. Last
month, I used the A710 for a full day of shooting for the first time.
The camera had been practically untouched since its purchase.

I shot nearly 200 pictures of flowers at very close range at a
botanical garden in ideal light--overcast clear day. With each shot,
depending on the proximity of the flower(s), I segued the Manual Focus
from the "Feet-to-Infinity" focal measurement to the "Inches" focal
measurement with no difficulty. The day following my botanical garden
extravaganza, the camera froze when I attempted to do what I had done
the day before: take Manual Mode photographs very close-up--not in
Macro Mode--with the focus of my own choosing. (Some of these
photographs can be seen, and the EXIF data with them, under a search
of my name at www.shutterpoint.com.)

When I phoned Canon Technical Support to report that my Under Warranty
camera would not transition from "Feet-to-Infinity" to "Inches," I was
told that the camera clearly was broken. I was issued a RMA, and I
sent the camera back to the Repair Facility in Elk Grove, Illinois.
The camera lay there so long, I had to call the facility to see what
was wrong.

As I feared, I was told by someone (who was represented over the phone
as a repair supervisor) that the Canon technician "examining" my
PowerShot could not "duplicate" the problem. "Numerous tests" had
been done with the camera. I was asked why I didn't shoot in Macro
Mode. (I didn't want to shoot in Macro Mode.) I was told that the
camera cannot segue into "Inch" focal measurement when the object
being photographed is closer than 20 inches.

That this was patently untrue was manifest by the fact that with both
the PowerShot A620 and the PowerShot A710, I had taken countless
photographs where I was able to actually focus the camera... It
wasn't as if I were asking the camera to microwave a frozen dinner: in
Manual Mode, closer than twenty inches from my numerous subjects, I
had NEVER encountered a problem seguing/transitioning from "Feet-to-
Infinity" to "Inch" focal measurement IN A YEAR.

I received the camera back yesterday, and, as I suspected would be the
case, the problem was not repaired. The camera is useless. It is
under warranty but useless, and I don't know what to do.

I've been reading this group ever since the drawn-out problem began in
mid-May, and it seems enough digital camera enthusiasts are
knowledgeable enough to advise me how to address Canon's headquarters
on Monday. For me, the ability to purchase a relatively expensive
camera is not an everyday thing; and I feel as if this company could
care less that I have a $300 piece of junk.

Thank you for reading this. Email or posts gratefully accepted.

Charles

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> [...]
> Manual Mode, closer than twenty inches from my numerous subjects, I
> had NEVER encountered a problem seguing/transitioning from "Feet-to-
> Infinity" to "Inch" focal measurement IN A YEAR.
>
> I received the camera back yesterday, and, as I suspected would be the
> case, the problem was not repaired. The camera is useless. It is
> under warranty but useless, and I don't know what to do.
>
> I've been reading this group ever since the drawn-out problem began in
> mid-May, and it seems enough digital camera enthusiasts are
> knowledgeable enough to advise me how to address Canon's headquarters
> on Monday. For me, the ability to purchase a relatively expensive
> camera is not an everyday thing; and I feel as if this company could
> care less that I have a $300 piece of junk.
>
> Thank you for reading this. Email or posts gratefully accepted.

You certainly seem to know what you are doing and one can only wonder why
the camera was not repaired.

In cases of this type (I have had a few) I Google to find the correct CEO,
or manager, or whatever and write a snail mail letter. Takes weeks, but has
worked for me. Good luck.

hpalencar@yahoo.com

On Jun 9, 5:25 pm, "Charles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In cases of this type (I have had a few) I Google to find the correct CEO,
> or manager, or whatever and write a snail mail letter. Takes weeks, but has
> worked for me. Good luck.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I suspected I'd have
to do things the hard way, and I suppose I just needed someone to tell
me I was right. I'm glad patience worked for you. It's hard to be
patient at the height of picture-taking season.

Robert Coe

:
: When I phoned Canon Technical Support to report that my Under Warranty
: camera would not transition from "Feet-to-Infinity" to "Inches," I was
: told that the camera clearly was broken. I was issued a RMA, and I
: sent the camera back to the Repair Facility in Elk Grove, Illinois.
: The camera lay there so long, I had to call the facility to see what
: was wrong. ...

What is that repair facility in Illinois? Is it a "Canon Factory Service
Center"? On the Canon Web site I'm able to find only two two such facilities:
in Jamesburg NJ and in Irvine CA. Is the Illinois facility a recent addition?
Or is it something less than a Factory Service Center?

Bob

Bruce.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> When I phoned Canon Technical Support to report that my Under Warranty
> camera would not transition from "Feet-to-Infinity" to "Inches," I was
> told that the camera clearly was broken. I was issued a RMA, and I
> sent the camera back to the Repair Facility in Elk Grove, Illinois.
> The camera lay there so long, I had to call the facility to see what
> was wrong.
>
> As I feared, I was told by someone (who was represented over the phone
> as a repair supervisor) that the Canon technician "examining" my
> PowerShot could not "duplicate" the problem. "Numerous tests" had
> been done with the camera. I was asked why I didn't shoot in Macro
> Mode. (I didn't want to shoot in Macro Mode.) I was told that the
> camera cannot segue into "Inch" focal measurement when the object
> being photographed is closer than 20 inches.
>
> That this was patently untrue was manifest by the fact that with both
> the PowerShot A620 and the PowerShot A710, I had taken countless
> photographs where I was able to actually focus the camera... It
> wasn't as if I were asking the camera to microwave a frozen dinner: in
> Manual Mode, closer than twenty inches from my numerous subjects, I
> had NEVER encountered a problem seguing/transitioning from "Feet-to-
> Infinity" to "Inch" focal measurement IN A YEAR.

I don't know if this will help, but I spent some time playing with my A-710
IS. In manual, in almost all cases, I was able to slide the focus from feet
to inches. I tried a bunch of different settings, exposure, f-stop, etc.,
and it almost always switched from feet to inches just as you noted.

I found only one case were it wouldn't. If zoomed the lens towards the
telephoto end, at some point it would stop switching to inches. It would
only reliably switch at the wide angle end of the zoom.

Bruce.

hpalencar@yahoo.com

On Jun 9, 7:16 pm, Robert Coe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> What is that repair facility in Illinois? Is it a "Canon Factory Service
> Center"? On the Canon Web site I'm able to find only two two such facilities:
> in Jamesburg NJ and in Irvine CA. Is the Illinois facility a recent addition?
> Or is it something less than a Factory Service Center?
>
> Bob

Elk Grove, Illinois. Canon USA Inc.'s Factory Service Center, 1440
Chase Avenue, Elk Grove, IL 60007

hpalencar@yahoo.com

On Jun 9, 7:19 pm, "Bruce." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I don't know if this will help, but I spent some time playing with my A-710
> IS. In manual, in almost all cases, I was able to slide the focus from feet
> to inches. I tried a bunch of different settings, exposure, f-stop, etc.,
> and it almost always switched from feet to inches just as you noted.
>
> I found only one case were it wouldn't. If zoomed the lens towards the
> telephoto end, at some point it would stop switching to inches. It would
> only reliably switch at the wide angle end of the zoom.

Thanks, Bruce. I'm going to see what I come up with, but I'm fairly
certain my 710 won't switch to inches even at the telephoto end. Glad
yours is operating normally.

Bruce.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Elk Grove, Illinois. Canon USA Inc.'s Factory Service Center, 1440
> Chase Avenue, Elk Grove, IL 60007

Yes, that's been located there nearly forever. I used to drive by it every
day.

Bruce.

hpalencar@yahoo.com

On Jun 9, 9:34 pm, "Bruce." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > Elk Grove, Illinois. Canon USA Inc.'s Factory Service Center, 1440
> > Chase Avenue, Elk Grove, IL 60007

> Yes, that's been located there nearly forever. I used to drive by it every
> day.

Would you have any idea where the most germane administrative office
is located? I have correspondence with Lake Success, NY, on
letterhead regarding this problem. I don't really know where to
escalate this problem.

hpalencar@yahoo.com

I reread my original post and realized I omitted something important.

When I received the "repaired" A710 back, in the package was a
photocopy of the User Manual Pages dealing with Manual Focus. The
weird, really weird, thing is that nowhere on the photocopy was any
warning that "Inches" Focus can't be used when you are within 20
inches of an object.

My decision not to countermand the Canon Repair foreman on this absurd
point seemed wise, but, I mean, what do you do when a "foreman"
suddenly gets creative with his company's user manuals? What if my
Image Display broke, for example, and a "foreman" said You Can't
Overheat It.

Every (female) phone operator who answered the Elk Grove number
referred to this man as "the tops." The fact he phoned me at least
six times to tell me the camera was being "examined," "tested,"
"compared with other A710s"--this only made me less confident the
problem would be detected let alone solved.

Maybe I should just ask: When do you ask a company you've given solid
business over the course of a year to just replace a defective unit?
(I *did* ask for a replacement; instead I got back an unrepaired
camera...with a very noisy "motor.")