Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > cat5 newtorking windows xp

cat5 newtorking windows xp

why?

Do you have to keep starting new threads?

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 09:16:09 -0700, richard wrote:

>Ok so like I'm in a small dilemma here.
>I've got 2 laptops setup with a cat5 crossover cable.
>I've been able to set up a network between the 2.
>
>#1 shows "limited or no connectivity".
>#2 shows "connected, firewalled"

Did you check the NIC speed settings / duplex. XP will say limited
connection for 100Mps at half duplex or from what I have seen any speed
at half duplex. Even a 1GB link plugged into 10/100 switch if the auto
detect doesn't work.

>I can access #1 from #2 but can't copy/cut and paste files. Access
>denied.

Also do as mentioned, the same account / password on both systems.

<snip>

>In various instructions I have seen both on the web and in help and
>support, you are supposed to setup the main computer as "host".

What URL reference? There is no point is saying this or that didn't work
if it's impossible to see what you are looking at.

>However, there is nowhere I can find that allows this. No matter what
>I do, "guest" is for both.
>
>I do not want to be connected to the internet as all I want to do is
>transfer some files from #1, to #2.
>Yet, in following the instructions, I see nowhere that allows this.

As mentioned you manually set each PC with a fixed IP address.
192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2
Both have the same subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and gateway. For 2 PCs on a
groccover the gateway could be left blank or just enter the PCs own IP
address i.e. for 192.168.0.1 the gateway is the same address.

>So I am asking again for some clear cut easy to understand step by
>step instructions.
>The site's given by Plato were of no help.

Why repeat that, you already said that. Again where / why wasn't there
any help. No one can guess what wasn't any help or what part of any
instructions you had problems with.

>I am using windows xp home edition on both machines, not "pro" as it
>appears there is a big difference between the two.

Pro on both is better.

There is, see list of differences.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/h...choosing2.mspx
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...p_home_pro.asp
http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...s/wxpdifs.html

>My next alternative would be to wifi the two but I would prefer not
>going that way.
>
>Thanks

Me

why?

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 11:50:52 -0700, richard wrote:

>On Jun 9, 11:31 am, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
>> "richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>>

>> > Ok so like I'm in a small dilemma here.
>> > I've got 2 laptops setup with a cat5 crossover cable.
>> > I've been able to set up a network between the 2.

>> > #1 shows "limited or no connectivity".
>> > #2 shows "connected, firewalled"

>> > I can access #1 from #2 but can't copy/cut and paste files. Access
>> > denied.
>> > Either while connected to the internet or not.

<snip>

>> > So I am asking again for some clear cut easy to understand step by
>> > step instructions.

Without knowing what instructions haven't worked , where you were
getting stuck hasn't helped, what tabs you said earlier were missing but
didn't name. What do you expect?

The most basic is -

- Create an account on both PCs with the same name and password.

- Install a network card, drivers and TCP/IP (as administrator)

- Connect via the crossover cable.

- Set 1 PC to IP address 192.168.0.1, mask 255.255.255.0, gateway
192.168.0.1

- Other PC to IP address 192.168.0.2, mask 255.255.255.0, gateway
192.168.0.2

- Enable sharing for a folder, set the correct permissions read / write.

- Don't bother about browsing from 1 PC to the other.

- Map a drive from PC1 to PC2 using this format
\\192.168.0.1\sharenameyoucreated

- With the FW turned off, as recommended.

<snip>

>> But before doing that, you should MANUALLY set the IP address on both
>> computers. Set one to 192.168.1.0 and set the other to 192.168.1.1.
>> Temporarily turn off the firewall on both computers. See if that works.

>done that still nothing happens.

Nothing isn't helpful.

On the PC with address 192.168.1.0 you can ping 192.168.1.0 and you
can/can't ping 192.168.1.1?

When you browse in network neighbour hood you can/can't see the other PC
or only the 1 your are on.

Me

WhzzKdd

news(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 09:31:47 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:
>
>>"richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
>>> Ok so like I'm in a small dilemma here.
>>> I've got 2 laptops setup with a cat5 crossover cable.
>>> I've been able to set up a network between the 2.
>>>
>>> #1 shows "limited or no connectivity".
>>> #2 shows "connected, firewalled"
>>>
>>> I can access #1 from #2 but can't copy/cut and paste files. Access
>>> denied.
>>> Either while connected to the internet or not.

> <snip>
>
>>Yes you could get a standard router and two (non crossover) cables, or a
>>WIFI router.
>>
>>But before doing that, you should MANUALLY set the IP address on both
>>computers. Set one to 192.168.1.0 and set the other to 192.168.1.1.

> That would be .1.1 and .1.2 , using x.0 may not always work.

True - my slip. I do this so often I always use 1 and 2. Don't know why I
wrote 0 and 1 <grin>