Ok so like I'm in a small dilemma here.
I've got 2 laptops setup with a cat5 crossover cable.
I've been able to set up a network between the 2.

#1 shows "limited or no connectivity".
#2 shows "connected, firewalled"

I can access #1 from #2 but can't copy/cut and paste files. Access
denied.
Either while connected to the internet or not.

In various instructions I have seen both on the web and in help and
support, you are supposed to setup the main computer as "host".
However, there is nowhere I can find that allows this. No matter what
I do, "guest" is for both.

I do not want to be connected to the internet as all I want to do is
transfer some files from #1, to #2.
Yet, in following the instructions, I see nowhere that allows this.

So I am asking again for some clear cut easy to understand step by
step instructions.
The site's given by Plato were of no help.
I am using windows xp home edition on both machines, not "pro" as it
appears there is a big difference between the two.

My next alternative would be to wifi the two but I would prefer not
going that way.

Thanks

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ok so like I'm in a small dilemma here.
>I've got 2 laptops setup with a cat5 crossover cable.
>I've been able to set up a network between the 2.
>
>#1 shows "limited or no connectivity".
>#2 shows "connected, firewalled"
>
>I can access #1 from #2 but can't copy/cut and paste files. Access
>denied.
>Either while connected to the internet or not.

Just a guess

Start | Run <type in>
services.msc
<enter>

Make sure ClipBook is started.
--

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/tsgtv/

WhzzKdd

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Ok so like I'm in a small dilemma here.
> I've got 2 laptops setup with a cat5 crossover cable.
> I've been able to set up a network between the 2.
>
> #1 shows "limited or no connectivity".
> #2 shows "connected, firewalled"
>
> I can access #1 from #2 but can't copy/cut and paste files. Access
> denied.
> Either while connected to the internet or not.
>
> In various instructions I have seen both on the web and in help and
> support, you are supposed to setup the main computer as "host".
> However, there is nowhere I can find that allows this. No matter what
> I do, "guest" is for both.
>
> I do not want to be connected to the internet as all I want to do is
> transfer some files from #1, to #2.
> Yet, in following the instructions, I see nowhere that allows this.
>
> So I am asking again for some clear cut easy to understand step by
> step instructions.
> The site's given by Plato were of no help.
> I am using windows xp home edition on both machines, not "pro" as it
> appears there is a big difference between the two.
>
> My next alternative would be to wifi the two but I would prefer not
> going that way.
>
> Thanks

Yes you could get a standard router and two (non crossover) cables, or a
WIFI router.

But before doing that, you should MANUALLY set the IP address on both
computers. Set one to 192.168.1.0 and set the other to 192.168.1.1.
Temporarily turn off the firewall on both computers. See if that works.

John Holmes

richard "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

> Ok so like I'm in a small dilemma here.
> I've got 2 laptops setup with a cat5 crossover cable.
> I've been able to set up a network between the 2.
>
> #1 shows "limited or no connectivity".
> #2 shows "connected, firewalled"
>
> I can access #1 from #2 but can't copy/cut and paste files. Access
> denied.
> Either while connected to the internet or not.
>
> In various instructions I have seen both on the web and in help and
> support, you are supposed to setup the main computer as "host".
> However, there is nowhere I can find that allows this. No matter what
> I do, "guest" is for both.
>
> I do not want to be connected to the internet as all I want to do is
> transfer some files from #1, to #2.
> Yet, in following the instructions, I see nowhere that allows this.
>
> So I am asking again for some clear cut easy to understand step by
> step instructions.
> The site's given by Plato were of no help.
> I am using windows xp home edition on both machines, not "pro" as it
> appears there is a big difference between the two.
>
> My next alternative would be to wifi the two but I would prefer not
> going that way.
>
> Thanks

As an addition to the ones who already replied: Make sure you have
created a user with same credentials on both machines, both username and
password need to match on both.

--
You inbred shovel-full of contaminated cow dung.

richard

On Jun 9, 11:31 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Ok so like I'm in a small dilemma here.
> >I've got 2 laptops setup with a cat5 crossover cable.
> >I've been able to set up a network between the 2.

> >#1 shows "limited or no connectivity".
> >#2 shows "connected, firewalled"

> >I can access #1 from #2 but can't copy/cut and paste files. Access
> >denied.
> >Either while connected to the internet or not.

> Just a guess
>
> Start | Run <type in>
> services.msc
> <enter>
>
> Make sure ClipBook is started.
> --
>
> http://www.thesmokinggun.com/tsgtv/

Then do what? I get a zillion choices so which do I pick?

richard

On Jun 9, 11:31 am, "WhzzKdd" <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:
> "richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>

> > Ok so like I'm in a small dilemma here.
> > I've got 2 laptops setup with a cat5 crossover cable.
> > I've been able to set up a network between the 2.

> > #1 shows "limited or no connectivity".
> > #2 shows "connected, firewalled"

> > I can access #1 from #2 but can't copy/cut and paste files. Access
> > denied.
> > Either while connected to the internet or not.

> > In various instructions I have seen both on the web and in help and
> > support, you are supposed to setup the main computer as "host".
> > However, there is nowhere I can find that allows this. No matter what
> > I do, "guest" is for both.

> > I do not want to be connected to the internet as all I want to do is
> > transfer some files from #1, to #2.
> > Yet, in following the instructions, I see nowhere that allows this.

> > So I am asking again for some clear cut easy to understand step by
> > step instructions.
> > The site's given by Plato were of no help.
> > I am using windows xp home edition on both machines, not "pro" as it
> > appears there is a big difference between the two.

> > My next alternative would be to wifi the two but I would prefer not
> > going that way.

> > Thanks

> Yes you could get a standard router and two (non crossover) cables, or a
> WIFI router.
>
> But before doing that, you should MANUALLY set the IP address on both
> computers. Set one to 192.168.1.0 and set the other to 192.168.1.1.
> Temporarily turn off the firewall on both computers. See if that works.

done that still nothing happens.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Jun 9, 11:31 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> richard <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >Ok so like I'm in a small dilemma here.
>> >I've got 2 laptops setup with a cat5 crossover cable.
>> >I've been able to set up a network between the 2.

>> >#1 shows "limited or no connectivity".
>> >#2 shows "connected, firewalled"

>> >I can access #1 from #2 but can't copy/cut and paste files. Access
>> >denied.
>> >Either while connected to the internet or not.

>> Just a guess
>>
>> Start | Run <type in>
>> services.msc
>> <enter>
>>
>> Make sure ClipBook is started.

>Then do what? I get a zillion choices so which do I pick?

I'd do a recount...

The services are in alphabetical order look at the Clipbook status,
make sure it's enabled,

http://www.jasonn.com/turning_off_un..._on_windows_xp

--

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/tsgtv/

Ace Hung

richard wrote:

> Ok so like I'm in a small dilemma here.
> I've got 2 laptops setup with a cat5 crossover cable.
> I've been able to set up a network between the 2.
>
> #1 shows "limited or no connectivity".
> #2 shows "connected, firewalled"
>
> I can access #1 from #2 but can't copy/cut and paste files. Access
> denied.
> Either while connected to the internet or not.

Is there a firewall (windows or others). Disable it and see whar happens.

-hung

Plato

richard wrote:

> Ok so like I'm in a small dilemma here.
> I've got 2 laptops setup with a cat5 crossover cable.
> I've been able to set up a network between the 2.
>
> #1 shows "limited or no connectivity".
> #2 shows "connected, firewalled"
>
> I can access #1 from #2 but can't copy/cut and paste files. Access
> denied.
> Either while connected to the internet or not.

Networking

http://www.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm
http://www.homenethelp.com/home-network.asp
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/category04
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...g/default.mspx
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/w...Windows_XP.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813936
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...d/default.mspx

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

why?

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 09:31:47 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:

>"richard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Ok so like I'm in a small dilemma here.
>> I've got 2 laptops setup with a cat5 crossover cable.
>> I've been able to set up a network between the 2.
>>
>> #1 shows "limited or no connectivity".
>> #2 shows "connected, firewalled"
>>
>> I can access #1 from #2 but can't copy/cut and paste files. Access
>> denied.
>> Either while connected to the internet or not.

<snip>

>Yes you could get a standard router and two (non crossover) cables, or a
>WIFI router.
>
>But before doing that, you should MANUALLY set the IP address on both
>computers. Set one to 192.168.1.0 and set the other to 192.168.1.1.

That would be .1.1 and .1.2 , using x.0 may not always work.

>Temporarily turn off the firewall on both computers. See if that works.

Me