Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Duplicate name on network

Duplicate name on network

=?Utf-8?B?QnJvb2tseW5JdGFsaWFuR3V5?=

Hi,
I am receiving a message when I start Windows on my wireless desktop that
says: "A duplicate name exists on the network". I have googled this message
and everything I have been reading indicates that this is because both
computers have the same name. I have checked the names of both computers. The
hardwired XP pro computer says "Dads Computer" and the wireless XP home
computer says "Stevens Computer" (without the quotation marks).
Can anyone offer any other suggestions to fix this annoyance?
Thanks,
Steve

Richard Giagnacovo

BrooklynItalianGuy wrote:
> Hi,
> I am receiving a message when I start Windows on my wireless desktop that
> says: "A duplicate name exists on the network". I have googled this message
> and everything I have been reading indicates that this is because both
> computers have the same name. I have checked the names of both computers. The
> hardwired XP pro computer says "Dads Computer" and the wireless XP home
> computer says "Stevens Computer" (without the quotation marks).
> Can anyone offer any other suggestions to fix this annoyance?
> Thanks,
> Steve

Those two sound more like computer descriptions rather than the actual
machine names. Double check - to find the true machine name, Start >
Run > cmd and type 'hostname' and press enter.

=?Utf-8?B?QnJvb2tseW5JdGFsaWFuR3V5?=

Richard thanks for responding. When I check the hostname of each computer the
way you describe it says "steven" (without the quotation marks).

"Richard Giagnacovo" wrote:

> BrooklynItalianGuy wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am receiving a message when I start Windows on my wireless desktop that
> > says: "A duplicate name exists on the network". I have googled this message
> > and everything I have been reading indicates that this is because both
> > computers have the same name. I have checked the names of both computers. The
> > hardwired XP pro computer says "Dads Computer" and the wireless XP home
> > computer says "Stevens Computer" (without the quotation marks).
> > Can anyone offer any other suggestions to fix this annoyance?
> > Thanks,
> > Steve

> Those two sound more like computer descriptions rather than the actual
> machine names. Double check - to find the true machine name, Start >
> Run > cmd and type 'hostname' and press enter.

Lem

That seems to be your problem. Open System Properties (e.g.,
right-click on My Computer and click on Properties).
Click the Computer Name tab.
http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...me/Index.shtml

What you want to change is the "Full computer name" shown in the
screenshot as Logan (not the Computer description).

Click on the Change button and change it here:
http://screenshots.modemhelp.net/scr...rkgroup).shtml

--
Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

Lem

P.S.: The computer name is limited to fifteen characters and cannot
contain spaces or any of the following special characters:
; : " < > * + = \ | ? ,

BrooklynItalianGuy wrote:
> Richard thanks for responding. When I check the hostname of each computer the
> way you describe it says "steven" (without the quotation marks).
>
> "Richard Giagnacovo" wrote:
>
>> BrooklynItalianGuy wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I am receiving a message when I start Windows on my wireless desktop that
>>> says: "A duplicate name exists on the network". I have googled this message
>>> and everything I have been reading indicates that this is because both
>>> computers have the same name. I have checked the names of both computers. The
>>> hardwired XP pro computer says "Dads Computer" and the wireless XP home
>>> computer says "Stevens Computer" (without the quotation marks).
>>> Can anyone offer any other suggestions to fix this annoyance?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Steve

>> Those two sound more like computer descriptions rather than the actual
>> machine names. Double check - to find the true machine name, Start >
>> Run > cmd and type 'hostname' and press enter.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

=?Utf-8?B?QnJvb2tseW5JdGFsaWFuR3V5?=

Thanks so much. I kept changing the computer description. All is fine now.
Have an awesome weekend.