Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > PowerPoint and Asp.net

PowerPoint and Asp.net

Stan SR

Hi,
How to generate a powerpoint document using asp.net ?
The best would be to merge a ppt template with datas that I generate

Thanks for your help.
Stan

Alexey Smirnov

On Jun 9, 1:00 pm, "Stan SR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
> How to generate a powerpoint document using asp.net ?
> The best would be to merge a ppt template with datas that I generate
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Stan

This can help you to start, I guess

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303717/
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303718/

For PowerPoint 2007 you would need to look into Office Open XML file
format

Mark Rae

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> On Jun 9, 1:00 pm, "Stan SR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> How to generate a powerpoint document using asp.net ?
>> The best would be to merge a ppt template with datas that I generate
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>> Stan

> This can help you to start, I guess
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303717/
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303718/

These links demonstrate Office Automation. Microsoft does not support
server-side Office Automation because it doesn't work:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...US;q257757#kb2

Please don't advise people to use it...

--
http://www.markrae.net

Mark Rae

"Stan SR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> How to generate a powerpoint document using asp.net ?
> The best would be to merge a ppt template with datas that I generate

http://www.aspose.com/Products/Aspos...s/Default.aspx

Don't even consider using server-side Office automation - Microsoft don't
support it because it doesn't work:

On Jun 9, 3:59 pm, "Mark Rae" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Alexey Smirnov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
> > On Jun 9, 1:00 pm, "Stan SR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> How to generate a powerpoint document using asp.net ?
> >> The best would be to merge a ppt template with datas that I generate

> >> Thanks for your help.
> >> Stan

> > This can help you to start, I guess

> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303717/
> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303718/

> These links demonstrate Office Automation. Microsoft does not support
> server-side Office Automation because it doesn't work:http://support.microsoft.com/default...US;q257757#kb2
>
> Please don't advise people to use it...
>
> --http://www.markrae.net

It's true, they do not recommend and do not support server-side Office
Automation, however as far as I can see in other threads, Automation
works in a certain conditions. For example, it doesn't work under
default ASP.NET account and has to be run under fixed account from the
local Administrators group, which is again, not recommended by
Microsoft.

Mark Rae

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> It's true, they do not recommend and do not support server-side Office
> Automation, however as far as I can see in other threads, Automation
> works in a certain conditions. For example, it doesn't work under
> default ASP.NET account and has to be run under fixed account from the
> local Administrators group, which is again, not recommended by
> Microsoft.

Even more of a reason not to recommend it:

Note specifically:

Caution Automation of any Office application from an unattended,
non-interactive user account is risky and unstable. A single error in code
or configuration can result in a dialog box that can cause the client
process to stop responding (hang), that can corrupt data, or that can even
crash the calling process (which could bring down your Web server if the
client is ASP).

Warning Office was not designed, and is not safe, for unattended execution
on a server. Developers who use Office in this manner do so at their own
risk.

--
http://www.markrae.net

If your needs are simple you may be able to use my free ExportPanel control:
http://SteveOrr.net/articles/ExportPanel.aspx

If your needs are more complex then you probably want to use a 3rd party
tool to help ease things along:
http://SteveOrr.net/reviews/AsposePowerPoint.aspx

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr,

ASP.NET and Powerpoint MattC ASP .Net 9 01-09-2006 10:35 AM
ASP.Net and powerpoint C Williams ASP .Net 3 05-17-2005 11:47 PM
Java Powerpoint Search and Replace API Domenick Java 0 02-16-2005 02:53 PM
PowerPoint 10.0 Object library access and Office instalation. Aleksandar Panov ASP .Net 0 12-03-2003 06:16 PM
Please! Need tips on getting started with Index Server and ASP.NET (including Powerpoint indexing) Kent P. Iler ASP .Net 2 09-18-2003 04:06 PM

Advertisments