Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > recent Netflix shipping delays

recent Netflix shipping delays

def456

Netflix has been remarkably good and reliable since I joined 6 months ago,
until just recently...

They've started delaying shipment of movies til the next day, after they
receive a movie back from me. In the past they've almost always shipped a
new movie the same day. Now most are delayed shipment til the next day.

Anybody else seeing this problem?

I asked them, and their response was that those movies were being shipped
from a different location, rather than my usual "hub" (presumably the
closest office location). I don't think that's logical nor a valid reason
for a shipping delay.

Phisherman

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 04:30:00 -0500, "def456" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Netflix has been remarkably good and reliable since I joined 6 months ago,
>until just recently...
>
>They've started delaying shipment of movies til the next day, after they
>receive a movie back from me. In the past they've almost always shipped a
>new movie the same day. Now most are delayed shipment til the next day.
>
>Anybody else seeing this problem?
>
>I asked them, and their response was that those movies were being shipped
>from a different location, rather than my usual "hub" (presumably the
>closest office location). I don't think that's logical nor a valid reason
>for a shipping delay.

It's called "throttling" and Blockbuster does it too. I've had delays
(without any movies) up to two weeks. I'm in E. TN and some DVDs were
being shipped from Seattle or Boston instead of Atlanta. It got worse
and I canceled Netflix. The service can be good for those having a
nearby distribution center, but not all DVDs are at all centers.
Shipping is stalled on weekends and holidays.

Derek Janssen

Phisherman wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 04:30:00 -0500, "def456" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Netflix has been remarkably good and reliable since I joined 6 months ago,
>>until just recently...
>>
>>They've started delaying shipment of movies til the next day, after they
>>receive a movie back from me. In the past they've almost always shipped a
>>new movie the same day. Now most are delayed shipment til the next day.
>>
>>Anybody else seeing this problem?
>>
>>I asked them, and their response was that those movies were being shipped

>>from a different location, rather than my usual "hub" (presumably the

>>closest office location). I don't think that's logical nor a valid reason
>>for a shipping delay.

> It's called "throttling" and Blockbuster does it too.

Or, in my area's case, it's called "The movie being processed at the
center after the last mail-out deadline that day."

Derek Janssen

Fred C. Dobbs

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 04:30:00 -0500, "def456" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Netflix has been remarkably good and reliable since I joined 6 months ago,
>until just recently...
>
>They've started delaying shipment of movies til the next day, after they
>receive a movie back from me. In the past they've almost always shipped a
>new movie the same day. Now most are delayed shipment til the next day.
>
>Anybody else seeing this problem?
>
>I asked them, and their response was that those movies were being shipped
>from a different location, rather than my usual "hub" (presumably the
>closest office location). I don't think that's logical nor a valid reason
>for a shipping delay.

If you are a heavy user, they lose money if you send one back right
away and they have to send you another one right away. The labor and
shipping costs more than your subscription, so they stall your next
order to slow you down. It is a common complaint.

dgates

On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 04:30:00 -0500, "def456" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Netflix has been remarkably good and reliable since I joined 6 months ago,
>until just recently...
>
>They've started delaying shipment of movies til the next day, after they
>receive a movie back from me. In the past they've almost always shipped a
>new movie the same day. Now most are delayed shipment til the next day.
>
>Anybody else seeing this problem?
>
>I asked them, and their response was that those movies were being shipped
>from a different location, rather than my usual "hub" (presumably the
>closest office location). I don't think that's logical nor a valid reason
>for a shipping delay.

Recently, I've received a couple emails from them saying "Hang on an
extra day, partner! We've gotta ship that movie to ya from some other
state." And I never used to receive those.

It's always been the case that, after I ship a movie back, the day
they ship the next one to me takes one day longer than it seems like
it has to. But I pay whatever it is I pay, and I'm not renting movies
to copy them real quick and turn them around, and it seems like it's
about a good enough deal.

Derek Janssen

dgates wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 04:30:00 -0500, "def456" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Netflix has been remarkably good and reliable since I joined 6 months ago,
>>until just recently...
>>
>>They've started delaying shipment of movies til the next day, after they
>>receive a movie back from me. In the past they've almost always shipped a
>>new movie the same day. Now most are delayed shipment til the next day.
>>
>>Anybody else seeing this problem?
>>
>>I asked them, and their response was that those movies were being shipped
>>from a different location, rather than my usual "hub" (presumably the
>>closest office location). I don't think that's logical nor a valid reason
>>for a shipping delay.

Remember, every movie that's shipped out of state has to first be
*located* out of state--
And then the determination whether it's ready to ship out there, or
whether your #2 movie is local enough to send and spare the trouble.

> Recently, I've received a couple emails from them saying "Hang on an
> extra day, partner! We've gotta ship that movie to ya from some other
> state." And I never used to receive those.

Never received those either:
They've only recently had to add "For Friday: [Your movie] From Denver,
CO" (or wherever), on e-mails for any movies not sent from the local
region, when they had to import the title from out of state--

Simmply BECAUSE they'd been getting so many "No throttling!...Are you
throttling!--Well, don't throttle!" whiners who had no idea what that
word they'd heard about meant, but didn't know why one of their movies
was taking longer to arrive than another.

Derek Janssen (who can understand if a back-catalog movie takes longer
to arrive from Honolulu, HI than a new-release from Hartford, CT)
(E-Mail Removed)

gunner

I've used NetFlix for about 2 1/2 years now and have received just about 550
videos from them at a cost of just under $20/month. I couldn't be happier
with the service. Fortunately my hub is about 30 miles away. If I get my
discs in the mail by 5:00 PM they receive and ship them the next day and I
receive the new vids the day after that. They do not work weekends or
holidays so there are delays due to that. Probably 1 out of 25 of the
movies I request are shipped from other locations all over the US including
Honolulu on a couple of occasions. The delay in receiving is usually 2-3
Post Office days. I think once it was 4 on a movies coming from Portland,
Maine. I always return these to my local hub to get a quicker turn a round.

I really think that the majority of the complainers have very unreasonable
expections for the service. They will just have to deal the fact that
gratification is not always instantaneous.

Gunner
"Derek Janssen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> dgates wrote:
>> On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 04:30:00 -0500, "def456" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>Netflix has been remarkably good and reliable since I joined 6 months
>>>ago, until just recently...
>>>
>>>They've started delaying shipment of movies til the next day, after they
>>>receive a movie back from me. In the past they've almost always shipped a
>>>new movie the same day. Now most are delayed shipment til the next day.
>>>
>>>Anybody else seeing this problem?
>>>
>>>I asked them, and their response was that those movies were being shipped
>>>from a different location, rather than my usual "hub" (presumably the
>>>closest office location). I don't think that's logical nor a valid reason
>>>for a shipping delay.

> Remember, every movie that's shipped out of state has to first be
> *located* out of state--
> And then the determination whether it's ready to ship out there, or
> whether your #2 movie is local enough to send and spare the trouble.
>
>> Recently, I've received a couple emails from them saying "Hang on an
>> extra day, partner! We've gotta ship that movie to ya from some other
>> state." And I never used to receive those.

> Never received those either:
> They've only recently had to add "For Friday: [Your movie] From Denver,
> CO" (or wherever), on e-mails for any movies not sent from the local
> region, when they had to import the title from out of state--
>
> Simmply BECAUSE they'd been getting so many "No throttling!...Are you
> throttling!--Well, don't throttle!" whiners who had no idea what that word
> they'd heard about meant, but didn't know why one of their movies was
> taking longer to arrive than another.
>
> Derek Janssen (who can understand if a back-catalog movie takes longer to
> arrive from Honolulu, HI than a new-release from Hartford, CT)
> (E-Mail Removed)

skip

dgates <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 04:30:00 -0500, "def456" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Netflix has been remarkably good and reliable since I joined 6 months
>>ago, until just recently...
>>
>>They've started delaying shipment of movies til the next day, after
>>they receive a movie back from me. In the past they've almost always
>>shipped a new movie the same day. Now most are delayed shipment til
>>the next day.
>>
>>Anybody else seeing this problem?
>>
>>I asked them, and their response was that those movies were being
>>shipped from a different location, rather than my usual "hub"
>>(presumably the closest office location). I don't think that's logical
>>nor a valid reason for a shipping delay.

> Recently, I've received a couple emails from them saying "Hang on an
> extra day, partner! We've gotta ship that movie to ya from some other
> state." And I never used to receive those.
>
> It's always been the case that, after I ship a movie back, the day
> they ship the next one to me takes one day longer than it seems like
> it has to. But I pay whatever it is I pay, and I'm not renting movies
> to copy them real quick and turn them around, and it seems like it's
> about a good enough deal.

The mailman gets mine I receive them open then re taped with scothch tape
3 days late

def456

"skip" <skip[@nospam.com> wrote in message
> dgates <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 04:30:00 -0500, "def456" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Netflix has been remarkably good and reliable since I joined 6 months
>>>ago, until just recently...
>>>
>>>They've started delaying shipment of movies til the next day, after
>>>they receive a movie back from me. In the past they've almost always
>>>shipped a new movie the same day. Now most are delayed shipment til
>>>the next day.
>>>
>>>Anybody else seeing this problem?
>>>
>>>I asked them, and their response was that those movies were being
>>>shipped from a different location, rather than my usual "hub"
>>>(presumably the closest office location). I don't think that's logical
>>>nor a valid reason for a shipping delay.

>> Recently, I've received a couple emails from them saying "Hang on an
>> extra day, partner! We've gotta ship that movie to ya from some other
>> state." And I never used to receive those.
>>
>> It's always been the case that, after I ship a movie back, the day
>> they ship the next one to me takes one day longer than it seems like
>> it has to. But I pay whatever it is I pay, and I'm not renting movies
>> to copy them real quick and turn them around, and it seems like it's
>> about a good enough deal.
>>

> The mailman gets mine I receive them open then re taped with scothch tape
> 3 days late

I receive them opened occasionally, but never taped back together, and
haven't notice any associated delivery delays. My mailman seems fairly
honest, so I expect it's probably the postal sorting machinery mangling the
envelope. They need to redesign their envelope so it won't open
accidentally. Blockbuster has a better one.

def456

"def456" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uquai.11757$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> Netflix has been remarkably good and reliable since I joined 6 months ago,
> until just recently...
>
> They've started delaying shipment of movies til the next day, after they
> receive a movie back from me. In the past they've almost always shipped a
> new movie the same day. Now most are delayed shipment til the next day.
>
> Anybody else seeing this problem?
>
> I asked them, and their response was that those movies were being shipped
> from a different location, rather than my usual "hub" (presumably the
> closest office location). I don't think that's logical nor a valid reason
> for a shipping delay.

After communicating with them and reading their TOS, I believe their
software is buggy. To make it work right, you should move titles to the top
of your queue which are available "NOW". If a movie isn't available "NOW",
move it lower in your queue, and only move it to the top when it becomes
available "NOW". Their software shouldn't require this but I believe it
does. So when it encounters a movie at the top of your queue which says
there's any kind of delay or wait involved, it should skip over it to the
next available movie, which shouldn't affect the shipping date - but it
does!?

The other factor is the number of movies rented at once. Their TOS clearly
says that they give highest priority to those who rent the fewest movies. So
the only way to fix that would be to reduce the number of movies you rent.
For example if you're renting 8 out at a time, cut back to 3-4 at a time,
etc. I'm renting 6 at a time, and may cut back to 3-4 also.