Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Converting Corded Phone To Cordless

Converting Corded Phone To Cordless

Martin

Hello,

I have a corded phone (Aastra/Nortel Meridian 9417 - CW) that I need to
convert to cordless.

I have been to Best Buy but without success in finding a conversion kit.

I suspect that, if conversion is possible, I will need to locate a specialty
electronics shop.

Before I start searching for one, does anyone know if conversion from corded
to cordless is possible and, if so, can you "point" me in the right
direction to locate a kit or specialty shop?

Thanks.

Martin

JANA

What you want is not practical. Your corded phone is based on a different
design to begin with. cordless phones are actually complex internally. They
appear simple, because the complexity is all inside of the chip technology
used.

Go and get yourself a proper cordless phone.

--

JANA
_____

"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2Spai.38518$(E-Mail Removed). ..
Hello,

I have a corded phone (Aastra/Nortel Meridian 9417 - CW) that I need to
convert to cordless.

I have been to Best Buy but without success in finding a conversion kit.

I suspect that, if conversion is possible, I will need to locate a specialty
electronics shop.

Before I start searching for one, does anyone know if conversion from corded
to cordless is possible and, if so, can you "point" me in the right
direction to locate a kit or specialty shop?

Thanks.

Martin

Doug

"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2Spai.38518$(E-Mail Removed). ..
| Hello,
|
| I have a corded phone (Aastra/Nortel Meridian 9417 - CW) that I need to
| convert to cordless.
|
| I have been to Best Buy but without success in finding a conversion kit.
|
| I suspect that, if conversion is possible, I will need to locate a
specialty
| electronics shop.
|
| Before I start searching for one, does anyone know if conversion from
corded
| to cordless is possible and, if so, can you "point" me in the right
| direction to locate a kit or specialty shop?
|
| Thanks.
|
| Martin

http://www.hsn.com/cnt/prod/zoom/lar...ebp_id=2031121

Doug

"Doug" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:466a89d5$0$11798$(E-Mail Removed)...
| "Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| news:2Spai.38518$(E-Mail Removed). ..
|| Hello,
|| I have a corded phone (Aastra/Nortel Meridian 9417 - CW) that I need to
|| convert to cordless.
|| I have been to Best Buy but without success in finding a conversion kit.
|| I suspect that, if conversion is possible, I will need to locate a
| specialty
|| electronics shop.
|| Before I start searching for one, does anyone know if conversion from
| corded
|| to cordless is possible and, if so, can you "point" me in the right
|| direction to locate a kit or specialty shop?
|| Thanks.
|| Martin

Sorry.

Seriously though try
http://www.hellodirect.com/hellodire...:5:15:150:1040

Martin

That's taking things literally, isn't it? LOL!

I asked how to convert a corded phone to a cordless one, and you provided me
with a time-tested method!!

Seriously though, I clicked the second link, but didn't see any conversion
kits. I presume it was intended to show me a selection of cordless phones.
If that wasn't your intention, where exactly, by way of hyperlink, is the
kit?

In any case, thanks for the laugh on a Saturday morning.

Who knows, but, if I become frustrated enough, I may use what was depicted
in the JPG. LOL!

Regards,

Martin

"Doug" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
||| Hello,
||| I have a corded phone (Aastra/Nortel Meridian 9417 - CW) that I need to
||| convert to cordless.
||| I have been to Best Buy but without success in finding a conversion kit.
||| I suspect that, if conversion is possible, I will need to locate a
|| specialty
||| electronics shop.
||| Before I start searching for one, does anyone know if conversion from
|| corded
||| to cordless is possible and, if so, can you "point" me in the right
||| direction to locate a kit or specialty shop?
||| Thanks.
||| Martin
|

| Sorry.
|
| Seriously though try

http://www.hellodirect.com/hellodire...:5:15:150:1040

Doug

kit.
||| specialty
||| corded
|| Sorry.
|| Seriously though try

http://www.hellodirect.com/hellodire...:5:15:150:1040

"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Vzwai.147724$(E-Mail Removed) ...
| That's taking things literally, isn't it? LOL!
|
| I asked how to convert a corded phone to a cordless one, and you provided
me
| with a time-tested method!!
|
| Seriously though, I clicked the second link, but didn't see any conversion
| kits. I presume it was intended to show me a selection of cordless phones.
| If that wasn't your intention, where exactly, by way of hyperlink, is the
| kit?
|
| In any case, thanks for the laugh on a Saturday morning.
|
| Who knows, but, if I become frustrated enough, I may use what was depicted
| in the JPG. LOL!
|
| Regards,
|
| Martin

"Doug" wrote:

No these are wireless headsets designed to use with corded desk phones such
as your Aastra/Nortel Meridian. Look again.

Martin

Hi Doug,

Allow me to explain the situation regarding my wish to convert my corded
phone to cordless.

I connect to the Internet via a Siemens Speedstream 6520 DSL modem/router. I
don't use the wireless option that it provides. Instead, I have a regular
telephone cord running from the modem/router to a duplex coupler which is
inserted in the wall jack. Running from the other half of the coupler is a
telephone cord that plugs into the phone.

Here's the problem. The static on the line is so severe that I lose
connectivity with the Internet several times per hour. I do not have any
filters on the modem/router cord, and I have one on the telephone cord to
lessen the sound of static. My landline telco cannot find where the problem
is. The best theory is that the line running from outside the building to
the phone box in the basement is so old that water is seeping into it, thus
causing the constant static and loss of connection.

The static is sometimes so severe when I'm using the phone that I find it
necessary to turn off my modem/router, which eliminates about 99% of the
static.

Due to my *previous* (no longer the case!) lack of understanding of the
technology that Vonage uses, I explained my situation about static when I
called Vonage the first time. The rep told me that Vonage bypasses my ISP
and that static would not be a factor. Believing what he said, I became a
Vonage customer, thinking that static would become an immediate thing of the
past as far as static when using the phone was concerned.

So....it turned out that the rep was poorly trained or lied. Now that I
understand the technology, I realize that I need to use my ISP to connect to
the Vonage network. The consequence is that the severe static causes me to
lose my Vonage connection several times per hour. Additionally, when I am
able to use it, my calls suffer from "dropped" words and periods of silence
due to poor connectivity.

In speaking with ATS (Advanced Tech Support), a rep suggested that I get a
5.8 GHZ cordless phone that should be plugged directly into my Vonage
device, thus avoiding the telephone jack and the problems with
static/connectivity.

Having used the Meridian phone for a number of years, and especially its
speakerphone, I'm reluctant to buy a cordless phone due to cost, but most
importantly based on principle. The Vonage rep was either poorly trained or
outright lied, but Vonage won't allow me to terminate my service without
having to pay disconnect/termination fees.

Consequently, if there's an inexpensive way to convert my corded phone to a
cordless one, then the static problem should be rectified.

If an inexpensive "fix" doesn't exist, then I need to take pay Vonage to
terminate my service or pursue a more aggressive approach in having the
company take responsibility for what the sales rep said about static not
being a problem.

That's it as far as the reason for conversion!

Thanks for your posts (including the scissors) and to anyone else who can
think of a fix, even if it doesn't entail converting a corded phone to a
cordless one.

Best regards,

Martin

Whiskers

On 2007-06-09, Martin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[...]

> That's it as far as the reason for conversion!
>
> Thanks for your posts (including the scissors) and to anyone else who can
> think of a fix, even if it doesn't entail converting a corded phone to a
> cordless one.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Martin

Using a cordless phone instead of a corded one will make no difference at
all to the problem you are having with the telephone line itself. That is
what needs to be sorted out before any of the things that rely on it will
work properly. The telephone company will have to send an engineer to
your house to test the line from end to end, locate the fault, and repair
it. Don't waste any more money or effort on things that have nothing to
do with the problem and will never 'fix' it.

If you have a broken leg, then no amount of money spent on hats or jackets
will improve your mobility one bit. Attend to the leg.

Converting a 'corded' phone to a 'cordless' one is not possible; the
closest you can get is either to rip the insides out of the corded phone
and replace them with the working parts of a cordless phone - so you end
up with a brand new entirely different phone that looks rather like the
old one - or you could create a wireless relay system between the fixed
telephone socket and wherever you want the corded phone to be plugged in -
which is rather pointless and probably very expensive and not provided
for by any off-the-shelf gadgets I've ever heard of (what with telephone
extension wire being so cheap and reliable).

Cordless telephones often have a 'speakerphone' function built in to the
handsets, so you won't have to lose that facility if ever you do decide
to get a cordless phone - but get one for the right reasons )

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Martin

Hello,

Thank you for your post and advice.

Regards,

Martin

"Whiskers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| On 2007-06-09, Martin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
|
| [...]
|
| > That's it as far as the reason for conversion!
| >
| > Thanks for your posts (including the scissors) and to anyone else who
can
| > think of a fix, even if it doesn't entail converting a corded phone to a
| > cordless one.
| >
| > Best regards,
| >
| > Martin
|
| Using a cordless phone instead of a corded one will make no difference at
| all to the problem you are having with the telephone line itself. That is
| what needs to be sorted out before any of the things that rely on it will
| work properly. The telephone company will have to send an engineer to
| your house to test the line from end to end, locate the fault, and repair
| it. Don't waste any more money or effort on things that have nothing to
| do with the problem and will never 'fix' it.
|
| If you have a broken leg, then no amount of money spent on hats or jackets
| will improve your mobility one bit. Attend to the leg.
|
| Converting a 'corded' phone to a 'cordless' one is not possible; the
| closest you can get is either to rip the insides out of the corded phone
| and replace them with the working parts of a cordless phone - so you end
| up with a brand new entirely different phone that looks rather like the
| old one - or you could create a wireless relay system between the fixed
| telephone socket and wherever you want the corded phone to be plugged in -
| which is rather pointless and probably very expensive and not provided
| for by any off-the-shelf gadgets I've ever heard of (what with telephone
| extension wire being so cheap and reliable).
|
| Cordless telephones often have a 'speakerphone' function built in to the
| handsets, so you won't have to lose that facility if ever you do decide
| to get a cordless phone - but get one for the right reasons )
|
| --
| -- ^^^^^^^^^^
| -- Whiskers
| -- ~~~~~~~~~~

Whiskers

On 2007-06-10, Martin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thank you for your post and advice.
>
> Regards,
>
> Martin