Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > xp pro64 - backwards compatibility with 32bit laptop hardware driv

xp pro64 - backwards compatibility with 32bit laptop hardware driv

=?Utf-8?B?Y29uZnVzZWQ=?=

installing 64bit xp OS on a laptop and using 32bit drivers downloaded from
the manufacturer;s website to run the system hardware such as wi-fi,
ethernet, power settings, display etc. (as no xp 64bit drivers are available)
, will this work? is this possible? has anyone tried doing this?

secondly, the processor is a core 2 duo T7200 which according to information
on the net is 64bit. However, the manufacturer claims that the processor is
32bit - can ayone confirm this one way or the other?

thanks in advance for any advice!

Jane C

That processor is 64 bit.

In order to run XP x64 you must use only 64 bit drivers. 32 bit drivers
will not work.

What make/model notebook is it?

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
MVP Windows Shell/User

"confused" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> installing 64bit xp OS on a laptop and using 32bit drivers downloaded from
> the manufacturer;s website to run the system hardware such as wi-fi,
> ethernet, power settings, display etc. (as no xp 64bit drivers are
> available)
> , will this work? is this possible? has anyone tried doing this?
>
> secondly, the processor is a core 2 duo T7200 which according to
> information
> on the net is 64bit. However, the manufacturer claims that the processor
> is
> 32bit - can ayone confirm this one way or the other?
>
> thanks in advance for any advice!

Charlie Russel - MVP

no, you can't use 32-bit drivers for a 64-bit OS. It isn't possible, it
won't work, it can't be done.

For what the capabilities of the processor are, use the Intel Processor ID
utility:
http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/

The processor will certainly run fine as a 32-bit processor. And if the mfg
isn't providing drivers, it is your only choice in any case.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"confused" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> installing 64bit xp OS on a laptop and using 32bit drivers downloaded from
> the manufacturer;s website to run the system hardware such as wi-fi,
> ethernet, power settings, display etc. (as no xp 64bit drivers are
> available)
> , will this work? is this possible? has anyone tried doing this?
>
> secondly, the processor is a core 2 duo T7200 which according to
> information
> on the net is 64bit. However, the manufacturer claims that the processor
> is
> 32bit - can ayone confirm this one way or the other?
>
> thanks in advance for any advice!

=?Utf-8?B?Y29uZnVzZWQ=?=

It's a toshiba satellite u205-s5044

"Jane C" wrote:

> That processor is 64 bit.
>
> In order to run XP x64 you must use only 64 bit drivers. 32 bit drivers
> will not work.
>
> What make/model notebook is it?
>
> --
> Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled
> Batteries not included. Braincell on vacation
> MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> "confused" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > installing 64bit xp OS on a laptop and using 32bit drivers downloaded from
> > the manufacturer;s website to run the system hardware such as wi-fi,
> > ethernet, power settings, display etc. (as no xp 64bit drivers are
> > available)
> > , will this work? is this possible? has anyone tried doing this?
> >
> > secondly, the processor is a core 2 duo T7200 which according to
> > information
> > on the net is 64bit. However, the manufacturer claims that the processor
> > is
> > 32bit - can ayone confirm this one way or the other?
> >
> > thanks in advance for any advice!

=?Utf-8?B?Y29uZnVzZWQ=?=

How important are manufacturer-specific drivers? Might almost everything run
ok with just installing XP64? Or if not could there be some generic 64bit
drivers that might make it work?

I think I might just try installing the software on a separate partition for
now as a dual boot and watch what happens - could this potentially cause any
serious problems to the original OS? Unfortunately the recovery disk is lost
so recovery to original system state is not really an option at the moment

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> no, you can't use 32-bit drivers for a 64-bit OS. It isn't possible, it
> won't work, it can't be done.
>
> For what the capabilities of the processor are, use the Intel Processor ID
> utility:
> http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/
>
> The processor will certainly run fine as a 32-bit processor. And if the mfg
> isn't providing drivers, it is your only choice in any case.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "confused" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > installing 64bit xp OS on a laptop and using 32bit drivers downloaded from
> > the manufacturer;s website to run the system hardware such as wi-fi,
> > ethernet, power settings, display etc. (as no xp 64bit drivers are
> > available)
> > , will this work? is this possible? has anyone tried doing this?
> >
> > secondly, the processor is a core 2 duo T7200 which according to
> > information
> > on the net is 64bit. However, the manufacturer claims that the processor
> > is
> > 32bit - can ayone confirm this one way or the other?
> >
> > thanks in advance for any advice!

Charlie Russel - MVP

If there aren't drivers for your hardware, there's really no point. And what
is it you hope to gain? Honestly, there isn't a laptop out there that can
use more than 4GB of RAM. And while there are a few reasons to choose 64-bit
besides RAM, that's certainly the most compelling reason for most.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"confused" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How important are manufacturer-specific drivers? Might almost everything
> run
> ok with just installing XP64? Or if not could there be some generic 64bit
> drivers that might make it work?
>
> I think I might just try installing the software on a separate partition
> for
> now as a dual boot and watch what happens - could this potentially cause
> any
> serious problems to the original OS? Unfortunately the recovery disk is
> lost
> so recovery to original system state is not really an option at the moment
>

> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> no, you can't use 32-bit drivers for a 64-bit OS. It isn't possible, it
>> won't work, it can't be done.
>>
>> For what the capabilities of the processor are, use the Intel Processor
>> ID
>> utility:
>> http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/
>>
>> The processor will certainly run fine as a 32-bit processor. And if the
>> mfg
>> isn't providing drivers, it is your only choice in any case.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "confused" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > installing 64bit xp OS on a laptop and using 32bit drivers downloaded
>> > from
>> > the manufacturer;s website to run the system hardware such as wi-fi,
>> > ethernet, power settings, display etc. (as no xp 64bit drivers are
>> > available)
>> > , will this work? is this possible? has anyone tried doing this?
>> >
>> > secondly, the processor is a core 2 duo T7200 which according to
>> > information
>> > on the net is 64bit. However, the manufacturer claims that the
>> > processor
>> > is
>> > 32bit - can ayone confirm this one way or the other?
>> >
>> > thanks in advance for any advice!

Charlie Russel - MVP

btw, you might find this whitepaper of use.

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"confused" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How important are manufacturer-specific drivers? Might almost everything
> run
> ok with just installing XP64? Or if not could there be some generic 64bit
> drivers that might make it work?
>
> I think I might just try installing the software on a separate partition
> for
> now as a dual boot and watch what happens - could this potentially cause
> any
> serious problems to the original OS? Unfortunately the recovery disk is
> lost
> so recovery to original system state is not really an option at the moment
>

> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> no, you can't use 32-bit drivers for a 64-bit OS. It isn't possible, it
>> won't work, it can't be done.
>>
>> For what the capabilities of the processor are, use the Intel Processor
>> ID
>> utility:
>> http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/
>>
>> The processor will certainly run fine as a 32-bit processor. And if the
>> mfg
>> isn't providing drivers, it is your only choice in any case.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>

>> "confused" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > installing 64bit xp OS on a laptop and using 32bit drivers downloaded
>> > from
>> > the manufacturer;s website to run the system hardware such as wi-fi,
>> > ethernet, power settings, display etc. (as no xp 64bit drivers are
>> > available)
>> > , will this work? is this possible? has anyone tried doing this?
>> >
>> > secondly, the processor is a core 2 duo T7200 which according to
>> > information
>> > on the net is 64bit. However, the manufacturer claims that the
>> > processor
>> > is
>> > 32bit - can ayone confirm this one way or the other?
>> >
>> > thanks in advance for any advice!

=?Utf-8?B?Y29uZnVzZWQ=?=

Thanks for posting the very informative link. I noticed the following passage:
"64-bit driver requirement
As I explained earlier, all hardware needs a 64-bit driver to work in 64-bit
editions of Windows. Because drivers run in kernel mode, they can’t run in
the WOW64 subsystem, meaning that all drivers need to be rewritten for x64.
The responsibility for writing drivers is, ultimately, with the manufacturer
of the device. This has been an uneven process at best so far, but the
situation is improving and should improve more substantially with the release
of Windows Vista."

This may be a very stupid question, if so forgive my ignorance, but we live
always in hope: Is there any possibility of using vista drivers in xp64,
seeing as these do exist for the hardware in question?

Also, can I at least try installng xp64 on a different partition without any
risk of compromising system stablility on the original 32bit partition?

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> btw, you might find this whitepaper of use.
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...ght_for_Me.doc
>

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "confused" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > How important are manufacturer-specific drivers? Might almost everything
> > run
> > ok with just installing XP64? Or if not could there be some generic 64bit
> > drivers that might make it work?
> >
> > I think I might just try installing the software on a separate partition
> > for
> > now as a dual boot and watch what happens - could this potentially cause
> > any
> > serious problems to the original OS? Unfortunately the recovery disk is
> > lost
> > so recovery to original system state is not really an option at the moment
> >

> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> no, you can't use 32-bit drivers for a 64-bit OS. It isn't possible, it
> >> won't work, it can't be done.
> >>
> >> For what the capabilities of the processor are, use the Intel Processor
> >> ID
> >> utility:
> >> http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/
> >>
> >> The processor will certainly run fine as a 32-bit processor. And if the
> >> mfg
> >> isn't providing drivers, it is your only choice in any case.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> >>

> >> "confused" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?Y29uZnVzZWQ=?=

To be completely honest I bought xp64 as a replacement for my lost recovery
disk with a view to a clean installation. Assuming as I had a core 2 duo
processor everything would be fine but obviously without having gone into
checking out all the issues properly first, doh!!

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> If there aren't drivers for your hardware, there's really no point. And what
> is it you hope to gain? Honestly, there isn't a laptop out there that can
> use more than 4GB of RAM. And while there are a few reasons to choose 64-bit
> besides RAM, that's certainly the most compelling reason for most.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>
> "confused" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > How important are manufacturer-specific drivers? Might almost everything
> > run
> > ok with just installing XP64? Or if not could there be some generic 64bit
> > drivers that might make it work?
> >
> > I think I might just try installing the software on a separate partition
> > for
> > now as a dual boot and watch what happens - could this potentially cause
> > any
> > serious problems to the original OS? Unfortunately the recovery disk is
> > lost
> > so recovery to original system state is not really an option at the moment
> >

> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> no, you can't use 32-bit drivers for a 64-bit OS. It isn't possible, it
> >> won't work, it can't be done.
> >>
> >> For what the capabilities of the processor are, use the Intel Processor
> >> ID
> >> utility:
> >> http://support.intel.com/support/processors/tools/piu/
> >>
> >> The processor will certainly run fine as a 32-bit processor. And if the
> >> mfg
> >> isn't providing drivers, it is your only choice in any case.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Charlie.
> >> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> >>

> >> "confused" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

S.SubZero

On Jun 9, 12:23 pm, confused <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> This may be a very stupid question, if so forgive my ignorance, but we live
> always in hope: Is there any possibility of using vista drivers in xp64,
> seeing as these do exist for the hardware in question?

They would need to be Vista x64 drivers, but you can try. The worst
that can happen is they won't install. I'd assume less complex
drivers like printers will have a better chance than say, video
drivers (which I'm fairly certain you need the OS-specific drivers
for).

> Also, can I at least try installng xp64 on a different partition without any
> risk of compromising system stablility on the original 32bit partition?

Absolutely.