Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Vista printer will only run as Administrator

Vista printer will only run as Administrator

Eljayb

I have a Panasonic KX-P7100 for which Panasonic are not providing
Vista drivers. I can use it as a network printer, the two XP
computers which are networked to my Vista Desktop machine can print
with it without any problems but, the Vista machine cannot use it.
Permission is denied.

I can use the test print page facility in Vista if I run the printer
as an administrator, so I assume, if I could give the normal usage of
the printer Administrator rights then it would work fine.

If I turn off User Account Control, I can use the printer without
problems but I am loathe to do that.

I like Vista, I do not want to buy a new printer and I feel the
solution will probably be simple if only some one can find it for me,
or point me in the right direction.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Eljayb

Yehoshua

On Jun 7, 7:27 pm, Eljayb <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a Panasonic KX-P7100 for which Panasonic are not providing
> Vista drivers. I can use it as a network printer, the two XP
> computers which are networked to my Vista Desktop machine can print
> with it without any problems but, the Vista machine cannot use it.
> Permission is denied.
>
> I can use the test print page facility in Vista if I run the printer
> as an administrator, so I assume, if I could give the normal usage of
> the printer Administrator rights then it would work fine.
>
> If I turn off User Account Control, I can use the printer without
> problems but I am loathe to do that.
>
> I like Vista, I do not want to buy a new printer and I feel the
> solution will probably be simple if only some one can find it for me,
> or point me in the right direction.
>
> Thanks for any suggestions,
>
> Eljayb

Vista is designed in such a way that even if a user has adminstrative
previlidges the user really functions at the level of a standard user
to prevent malecious code from exacuting with administrative
privlidages without permission from UAC. I beleive that the issue most
likely has to do with the security permissions that you have set on
the printer.

If you are capeable of using the printer when you elevate your
funcionality to administrator you are capeable of printing. Check the
Security tab under the Printer's Properties page and verify that the
Everyone group has the "Allow" and that no "Deny" options are checked.
Also check to see if your username is listed in the dialogue and make
sure that you have permission to print.

Eljayb

On Jun 8, 1:13 pm, Yehoshua <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 7, 7:27 pm, Eljayb <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > I have a Panasonic KX-P7100 for which Panasonic are not providing
> > Vista drivers. I can use it as a network printer, the two XP
> > computers which are networked to my Vista Desktop machine can print
> > with it without any problems but, the Vista machine cannot use it.
> > Permission is denied.

> > I can use the test print page facility in Vista if I run the printer
> > as an administrator, so I assume, if I could give the normal usage of
> > the printer Administrator rights then it would work fine.

> > If I turn off User Account Control, I can use the printer without
> > problems but I am loathe to do that.

> > I like Vista, I do not want to buy a new printer and I feel the
> > solution will probably be simple if only some one can find it for me,
> > or point me in the right direction.

> > Thanks for any suggestions,

> > Eljayb

> Vista is designed in such a way that even if a user has adminstrative
> previlidges the user really functions at the level of a standard user
> to prevent malecious code from exacuting with administrative
> privlidages without permission from UAC. I beleive that the issue most
> likely has to do with the security permissions that you have set on
> the printer.
>
> If you are capeable of using the printer when you elevate your
> funcionality to administrator you are capeable of printing. Check the
> Security tab under the Printer's Properties page and verify that the
> Everyone group has the "Allow" and that no "Deny" options are checked.
> Also check to see if your username is listed in the dialogue and make
> sure that you have permission to print.

Thank you for your advice.

OK I have rechecked this and I do have permission to print and none of
the Group or user names are denied anything.

It has been suggested that "Some drivers will write temporary files
to areas normal users do not have
access. "

Problem is I cannot determine what this folder would be and how to
grant access.

Thank you for your advice.

Eljayb

Yehoshua

On Jun 7, 10:13 pm, Eljayb <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 8, 1:13 pm, Yehoshua <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > On Jun 7, 7:27 pm, Eljayb <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > I have a Panasonic KX-P7100 for which Panasonic are not providing
> > > Vista drivers. I can use it as a network printer, the two XP
> > > computers which are networked to my Vista Desktop machine can print
> > > with it without any problems but, the Vista machine cannot use it.
> > > Permission is denied.

> > > I can use the test print page facility in Vista if I run the printer
> > > as an administrator, so I assume, if I could give the normal usage of
> > > the printer Administrator rights then it would work fine.

> > > If I turn off User Account Control, I can use the printer without
> > > problems but I am loathe to do that.

> > > I like Vista, I do not want to buy a new printer and I feel the
> > > solution will probably be simple if only some one can find it for me,
> > > or point me in the right direction.

> > > Thanks for any suggestions,

> > > Eljayb

> > Vista is designed in such a way that even if a user has adminstrative
> > previlidges the user really functions at the level of a standard user
> > to prevent malecious code from exacuting with administrative
> > privlidages without permission from UAC. I beleive that the issue most
> > likely has to do with the security permissions that you have set on
> > the printer.

> > If you are capeable of using the printer when you elevate your
> > funcionality to administrator you are capeable of printing. Check the
> > Security tab under the Printer's Properties page and verify that the
> > Everyone group has the "Allow" and that no "Deny" options are checked.
> > Also check to see if your username is listed in the dialogue and make
> > sure that you have permission to print.

> Thank you for your advice.
>
> OK I have rechecked this and I do have permission to print and none of
> the Group or user names are denied anything.
>
> It has been suggested that "Some drivers will write temporary files
> to areas normal users do not have
> access. "
>
> Problem is I cannot determine what this folder would be and how to
> grant access.
>
> Thank you for your advice.
>
> Eljayb- Hide quoted text -

I appologize I missed the part where you said that you could not get
ahold of Vista drivers. This is definatly the issue. Applications and
drivers that where written for previous versions may require
administrative privlidages to access certian files. Unfortunatly until
a driver is provided for vista the only work around without disabeling
UAC completly is to set UAC to Automaticly Elevate Administrative
permissions for users that are administrators. To complete this follow
the directions below:

1. Select the Start Menu
2. In the "Start Search" dialogue type "secpol.msc" and press enter.
3. You will be prompted to approve the opening of the Microsoft
Management Console. Select Contine.
4. In the Local Security Policy Dialogue Expand "Local Policies" from
the navigation tree on the left.
5. Select "Securit Options" from the navigation tree.
6. Scroll the right window to the bottom to find the Policy Labeled
"User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation propt for
administrators in Admin Approval Mode". Double Click
7. Change Settings to elevate without prompting. Click OK.

WHen you need to have administrative access now your accout will
automatically allow the program to run in administrative mode without
a prompt. Be aware that this could open your computer to potential
security risk and that applications could launch in administrator mode
without prompting.

Once you get vista drivers you can set this control back to "Prompt
for consent".
-Yehoshua

Eljayb

On Jun 8, 3:16 pm, Yehoshua <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 7, 10:13 pm, Eljayb <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Vista is designed in such a way that even if a user has adminstrative
> > > previlidges the user really functions at the level of a standard user
> > > to prevent malecious code from exacuting with administrative
> > > privlidages without permission from UAC. I beleive that the issue most
> > > likely has to do with the security permissions that you have set on
> > > the printer.

> > > If you are capeable of using the printer when you elevate your
> > > funcionality to administrator you are capeable of printing. Check the
> > > Security tab under the Printer's Properties page and verify that the
> > > Everyone group has the "Allow" and that no "Deny" options are checked.
> > > Also check to see if your username is listed in the dialogue and make
> > > sure that you have permission to print.

> > Thank you for your advice.

> > OK I have rechecked this and I do have permission to print and none of
> > the Group or user names are denied anything.

> > It has been suggested that "Some drivers will write temporary files
> > to areas normal users do not have
> > access. "

> > Problem is I cannot determine what this folder would be and how to
> > grant access.

> > Thank you for your advice.

> > Eljayb- Hide quoted text -

> I appologize I missed the part where you said that you could not get
> ahold of Vista drivers. This is definatly the issue. Applications and
> drivers that where written for previous versions may require
> administrative privlidages to access certian files. Unfortunatly until
> a driver is provided for vista the only work around without disabeling
> UAC completly is to set UAC to Automaticly Elevate Administrative
> permissions for users that are administrators. To complete this follow
> the directions below:
>
> 1. Select the Start Menu
> 2. In the "Start Search" dialogue type "secpol.msc" and press enter.
> 3. You will be prompted to approve the opening of the Microsoft
> Management Console. Select Contine.
> 4. In the Local Security Policy Dialogue Expand "Local Policies" from
> the navigation tree on the left.
> 5. Select "Securit Options" from the navigation tree.
> 6. Scroll the right window to the bottom to find the Policy Labeled
> "User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation propt for
> administrators in Admin Approval Mode". Double Click
> 7. Change Settings to elevate without prompting. Click OK.
>
> WHen you need to have administrative access now your accout will
> automatically allow the program to run in administrative mode without
> a prompt. Be aware that this could open your computer to potential
> security risk and that applications could launch in administrator mode
> without prompting.
>
> Once you get vista drivers you can set this control back to "Prompt
> for consent".
> -Yehoshua

This is so tantalising, the answer is in your reply BUT I cannot run
secpol.msc. I understand it is not available in Vista Home Premium,
which is the version I have.

old man

You might have a look here
http://help.lockergnome.com/vista/er...pict33531.html

"Eljayb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Jun 8, 3:16 pm, Yehoshua <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

print

printer

of

me,

adminstrative

user

most

the

checked.

make

> > > Thank you for your advice.

> > > OK I have rechecked this and I do have permission to print and none of
> > > the Group or user names are denied anything.

> > > It has been suggested that "Some drivers will write temporary files
> > > to areas normal users do not have
> > > access. "

> > > Problem is I cannot determine what this folder would be and how to
> > > grant access.

> > > Thank you for your advice.

> > > Eljayb- Hide quoted text -

> > I appologize I missed the part where you said that you could not get
> > ahold of Vista drivers. This is definatly the issue. Applications and
> > drivers that where written for previous versions may require
> > administrative privlidages to access certian files. Unfortunatly until
> > a driver is provided for vista the only work around without disabeling
> > UAC completly is to set UAC to Automaticly Elevate Administrative
> > permissions for users that are administrators. To complete this follow
> > the directions below:
> >
> > 1. Select the Start Menu
> > 2. In the "Start Search" dialogue type "secpol.msc" and press enter.
> > 3. You will be prompted to approve the opening of the Microsoft
> > Management Console. Select Contine.
> > 4. In the Local Security Policy Dialogue Expand "Local Policies" from
> > the navigation tree on the left.
> > 5. Select "Securit Options" from the navigation tree.
> > 6. Scroll the right window to the bottom to find the Policy Labeled
> > "User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation propt for
> > administrators in Admin Approval Mode". Double Click
> > 7. Change Settings to elevate without prompting. Click OK.
> >
> > WHen you need to have administrative access now your accout will
> > automatically allow the program to run in administrative mode without
> > a prompt. Be aware that this could open your computer to potential
> > security risk and that applications could launch in administrator mode
> > without prompting.
> >
> > Once you get vista drivers you can set this control back to "Prompt
> > for consent".
> > -Yehoshua

> This is so tantalising, the answer is in your reply BUT I cannot run
> secpol.msc. I understand it is not available in Vista Home Premium,
> which is the version I have.

Yehoshua

On Jun 8, 4:14 am, "old man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> You might have a look herehttp://help.lockergnome.com/vista/er-Problem-Panasonic-KX-P7100-ftopi...
>
> "Eljayb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> print

> printer

> of

> me,

> adminstrative

> user

> most

> the

> checked.

> make

> > > I appologize I missed the part where you said that you could not get
> > > ahold of Vista drivers. This is definatly the issue. Applications and
> > > drivers that where written for previous versions may require
> > > administrative privlidages to access certian files. Unfortunatly until
> > > a driver is provided for vista the only work around without disabeling
> > > UAC completly is to set UAC to Automaticly Elevate Administrative
> > > permissions for users that are administrators. To complete this follow
> > > the directions below:

> > > 1. Select the Start Menu
> > > 2. In the "Start Search" dialogue type "secpol.msc" and press enter.
> > > 3. You will be prompted to approve the opening of the Microsoft
> > > Management Console. Select Contine.
> > > 4. In the Local Security Policy Dialogue Expand "Local Policies" from
> > > the navigation tree on the left.
> > > 5. Select "Securit Options" from the navigation tree.
> > > 6. Scroll the right window to the bottom to find the Policy Labeled
> > > "User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation propt for
> > > administrators in Admin Approval Mode". Double Click
> > > 7. Change Settings to elevate without prompting. Click OK.

> > > WHen you need to have administrative access now your accout will
> > > automatically allow the program to run in administrative mode without
> > > a prompt. Be aware that this could open your computer to potential
> > > security risk and that applications could launch in administrator mode
> > > without prompting.

> > > Once you get vista drivers you can set this control back to "Prompt
> > > for consent".
> > > -Yehoshua

> > This is so tantalising, the answer is in your reply BUT I cannot run
> > secpol.msc. I understand it is not available in Vista Home Premium,
> > which is the version I have.- Hide quoted text -

Okay.... well then.... you can upgrade to Vista Buisness or Ultimate.
Or just shut off the UAC.

Eljayb

On Jun 8, 11:49 pm, Yehoshua <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jun 8, 4:14 am, "old man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > You might have a look herehttp://help.lockergnome.com/vista/er-Problem-Panasonic-KX-P7100-ftopi...

> > "Eljayb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...

> > print

> > printer

> > of

> > me,

> > adminstrative

> > user

> > most

> > the

> > checked.

> > make

> > > This is so tantalising, the answer is in your reply BUT I cannot run
> > > secpol.msc. I understand it is not available in Vista Home Premium,
> > > which is the version I have.- Hide quoted text -

> Okay.... well then.... you can upgrade to Vista Buisness or Ultimate.
> Or just shut off the UAC.

Between a rock and a hard place

Thank you all for your interest and assistance with my problem. Even
if we were not successful, it is nice not to be on one's own when
dealing with these things.

Eljayb

Eljayb

On Jun 8, 8:14 pm, "old man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> You might have a look herehttp://help.lockergnome.com/vista/er-Problem-Panasonic-KX-P7100-ftopi...
>
> "Eljayb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> print

> printer

> of

> me,

> adminstrative

> user

> most

> the

> checked.

> make

> > > I appologize I missed the part where you said that you could not get
> > > ahold of Vista drivers. This is definatly the issue. Applications and
> > > drivers that where written for previous versions may require
> > > administrative privlidages to access certian files. Unfortunatly until
> > > a driver is provided for vista the only work around without disabeling
> > > UAC completly is to set UAC to Automaticly Elevate Administrative
> > > permissions for users that are administrators. To complete this follow
> > > the directions below:

> > > 1. Select the Start Menu
> > > 2. In the "Start Search" dialogue type "secpol.msc" and press enter.
> > > 3. You will be prompted to approve the opening of the Microsoft
> > > Management Console. Select Contine.
> > > 4. In the Local Security Policy Dialogue Expand "Local Policies" from
> > > the navigation tree on the left.
> > > 5. Select "Securit Options" from the navigation tree.
> > > 6. Scroll the right window to the bottom to find the Policy Labeled
> > > "User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation propt for
> > > administrators in Admin Approval Mode". Double Click
> > > 7. Change Settings to elevate without prompting. Click OK.

> > > WHen you need to have administrative access now your accout will
> > > automatically allow the program to run in administrative mode without
> > > a prompt. Be aware that this could open your computer to potential
> > > security risk and that applications could launch in administrator mode
> > > without prompting.

> > > Once you get vista drivers you can set this control back to "Prompt
> > > for consent".
> > > -Yehoshua

> > This is so tantalising, the answer is in your reply BUT I cannot run
> > secpol.msc. I understand it is not available in Vista Home Premium,
> > which is the version I have.

Yes, thank you for this. I had turned it up in my quest and tried it
but I could not get it to work.

WhzzKdd

"Eljayb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...

> Between a rock and a hard place
>
> Thank you all for your interest and assistance with my problem. Even
> if we were not successful, it is nice not to be on one's own when
> dealing with these things.
>
> Eljayb

Don't feel bad: Canon did that to multitudes of people between Windows 2000
and XP. I got stuck with 4 printers at work which cost about $300 each that
Canon supplied no support for. They were only two years old at the time.
They printed on 11x17 paper, so I really hated to lose the option to use
them. (One is actually still in use on a Win98 system, just because we still
once in a while need the 11x17 paper. Otherwise, I'd toss the PC and the
printer both! But hey: we still have a 486 running DOS 6.22 because we have
an application that won't run in Windows. Why rewrite the program when the
PC still works, huh?)