Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Networking with Cat-5 Cable

Networking with Cat-5 Cable

fleemo17@comcast.net

I'm going to network my old Mac by running about 75 feet of Ethernet
cable through the walls. (The attempt at wireless networking was less
than successful.) Unless I'm mistaken, I need Cat-5 cable to do so,
but does Cat-5 cable come with different connector ends to specify
when ordering, or does Cat-5 cable come with one standard connector
end? Any suggestions on where to order?

Thanks.

-Fleemo

PeeCee

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I'm going to network my old Mac by running about 75 feet of Ethernet
> cable through the walls. (The attempt at wireless networking was less
> than successful.) Unless I'm mistaken, I need Cat-5 cable to do so,
> but does Cat-5 cable come with different connector ends to specify
> when ordering, or does Cat-5 cable come with one standard connector
> end? Any suggestions on where to order?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Fleemo

Fleemo

Cat 5 cable comes in two basic types.

1. Solid conductor
For routing through walls as a permanent installation. This type is usually
sold as a 305M reel, or as a cut length if bought from a retailer. The usual
way to 'connect' this type of Cat 5 is to mount a wall plate at each end and
to 'punch' the wires into an RJ45 wall plate socket.

2. Multi Strand conductor.
Known as a 'Patch' cable the wire is multi stranded to handle the flexing of
the cable in daily use. This type of cable usually comes in standard lengths
1M, 2M, 5M etc up to 100M (Cat 5's maximum length) with a standard RJ45 plug
on each end.

Whole lot of websites here to get detailed info from
http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=

Best
Paul.

Herb Stein

news:f4a0q1$70i$(E-Mail Removed)...

Or, try http://www.herbstein.com/rj-45.html

--
Herb

why?

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 15:03:53 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I'm going to network my old Mac by running about 75 feet of Ethernet
>cable through the walls. (The attempt at wireless networking was less
>than successful.) Unless I'm mistaken, I need Cat-5 cable to do so,

Or Cat5e, Cat6 , you might not find Cat5 nowdays.

>but does Cat-5 cable come with different connector ends to specify
>when ordering, or does Cat-5 cable come with one standard connector

The plugs are 8P8C type, commomly called RJ-45, because it looks the
same - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RJ-45

For Ethernet it's a standard connector.

As PeeCee said, abou the cable types, if you run through walls etc you
use solid core cable to wallboxe. From the wallbox to the kit is
stranded cable.

For 75 feet, you can simply get a long enough patch cable. The only
issue is any holes you have to make have to be big enough to get the
plugs through.

>end? Any suggestions on where to order?

Just about any computer store / dealer whould have the right bits for
you.

It shouldn't matter if you are doing the going through wall thing and
need wallboxes, solid core cable + a couple of patch cables or buy a
premade cable the right length. For the 2nd option you would most likely
want a wallbox anyway just to keep it neat anyway, getting 1 with a
cutout instead of a RJ-45 sockrt or a blank faceplate to make your own
cutout.

Your comcast email sugests a US location. So I won't mention any UK
stores

>Thanks.
>
>-Fleemo

Me

WhzzKdd

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> For 75 feet, you can simply get a long enough patch cable. The only
> issue is any holes you have to make have to be big enough to get the
> plugs through.

Yeah - I did that. 100 foot cable, big holes in the floor <grin>! Used the
hot glue gun to fill the holes back around the cable. This was at home - not
at work. I'd never be that sloppy at the office

Which reminds me: I've maxed out my AC at the wall outlet at the office
(remember the vacuum cleaner?) so now I have to have the plant electricians
(finally) run a dedicated 30A line. We'll put a much larger capacity UPS
there, and should really elimate several problems at one time. We're looking
at a Tripplite Smart3000net, since I already have an additional battery
(from my current unit) that will plug in and increase the runtime. That will
give us room for one or two more servers when we need to as well. (The boss
is thinking ahead for once!)

Plato

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I'm going to network my old Mac by running about 75 feet of Ethernet
> cable through the walls. (The attempt at wireless networking was less
> than successful.) Unless I'm mistaken, I need Cat-5 cable to do so,
> but does Cat-5 cable come with different connector ends to specify
> when ordering, or does Cat-5 cable come with one standard connector
> end? Any suggestions on where to order?

Networking

http://www.howstuffworks.com/home-network.htm
http://www.homenethelp.com/home-network.asp
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/category04
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...g/default.mspx
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/w...Windows_XP.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813936
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...d/default.mspx

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

why?

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 21:08:21 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:

>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>> For 75 feet, you can simply get a long enough patch cable. The only
>> issue is any holes you have to make have to be big enough to get the
>> plugs through.
>>

>Yeah - I did that. 100 foot cable, big holes in the floor <grin>! Used the
>hot glue gun to fill the holes back around the cable. This was at home - not
>at work. I'd never be that sloppy at the office

We used to have some wiring done by the local site management, power
phones etc. They treated UTP the same as phone cables

>Which reminds me: I've maxed out my AC at the wall outlet at the office
>(remember the vacuum cleaner?) so now I have to have the plant electricians

Yes.

>(finally) run a dedicated 30A line. We'll put a much larger capacity UPS
>there, and should really elimate several problems at one time. We're looking
>at a Tripplite Smart3000net, since I already have an additional battery

Small stuff , although still small scale ours is
http://www.mgeups.com/products/pdt23...axy/galapw.htm
+ 4 battery cabinets.

>(from my current unit) that will plug in and increase the runtime. That will
>give us room for one or two more servers when we need to as well. (The boss
>is thinking ahead for once!)

That's a shocker!

Me

WhzzKdd

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 21:08:21 -0700, WhzzKdd wrote:
>
>>"why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>>
>>> For 75 feet, you can simply get a long enough patch cable. The only
>>> issue is any holes you have to make have to be big enough to get the
>>> plugs through.
>>>

>>Yeah - I did that. 100 foot cable, big holes in the floor <grin>! Used the
>>hot glue gun to fill the holes back around the cable. This was at home -
>>not
>>at work. I'd never be that sloppy at the office

> We used to have some wiring done by the local site management, power
> phones etc. They treated UTP the same as phone cables

Yeah - I had the plant maintenance crew string one line of CAT5e for a
connection from a PC to a CNC machine less than 100 feet away. They buggered
it. Direct line of sight. Out the office wall, up to the rafters, over to
the machine, drop down. Buggered. I guess they figure they can tug on it and
pull it around tight corners like their 8 gauge AC lines <g>

>>Which reminds me: I've maxed out my AC at the wall outlet at the office
>>(remember the vacuum cleaner?) so now I have to have the plant
>>electricians
>>(finally) run a dedicated 30A line. We'll put a much larger capacity UPS
>>there, and should really elimate several problems at one time. We're
>>looking
>>at a Tripplite Smart3000net, since I already have an additional battery

> Small stuff , although still small scale ours is
> http://www.mgeups.com/products/pdt23...axy/galapw.htm
> + 4 battery cabinets.

Major. That would be a bit overkill for us - we have 2 small servers and are
planning on adding two more. That's because we are planning on moving away
from the AS/400 we currently have (different location, different operator -
"not my problem") and into more contemporary software.

>>(from my current unit) that will plug in and increase the runtime. That
>>will
>>give us room for one or two more servers when we need to as well. (The
>>boss
>>is thinking ahead for once!)

> That's a shocker!

For sure <g>! And the same with the Windows server software - skipping the
SBS edition and going with the Standard so we don't have issues with growth
and exceeding the SBS limits. I've still got to sell them on the MS Software
Assurance so we get the Server 2008 when it comes out (this is MS - maybe I
should say IF it comes out.)

fleemo17@comcast.net

Just wanted to say a quick "Thanks!" to everyone for all the info
here. Much appreciated.

-Fleemo