Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > HTML form

Reply
Thread Tools

HTML form

 
 
hans.schmidt1@gmx.net
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-07-2007
I am trying to implement a shopping cart. When the user clicks the
checkout button, 2 things need to be done. 1)Saving the user's data
and 2) open the checkout webpage (3rd party).
the checkout webpage requires a HTTP POST, so I cannot load my page
first, then redirect.
But maybe I can do this in a Google way. When I write an e-mail in
gmail, it saves the draft automatically. how is it done? I guess it
silently submits a form in the background. anyone has more information?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Andy Dingley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-07-2007
On 7 Jun, 11:02, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> When I write an e-mail in
> gmail, it saves the draft automatically. how is it done?


Research "AJAX"

It's not (usually) background form submission, it's background use of
a XmlHttpRequest object to send and receive XML.

Useful techniques, but make sure there's some usable fallback for non-
JS customers.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Adrienne Boswell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-07-2007
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Andy Dingley
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in news:1181211080.603789.66930
@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

> On 7 Jun, 11:02, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> When I write an e-mail in
>> gmail, it saves the draft automatically. how is it done?

>
> Research "AJAX"
>
> It's not (usually) background form submission, it's background use of
> a XmlHttpRequest object to send and receive XML.
>
> Useful techniques, but make sure there's some usable fallback for non-
> JS customers.
>
>


I'm beginning to really hate AJAX. I don't mind a trip back to the
server, but I do mind the screen graying out, and then not coming back
correctly. Evite is a good example of that - it fails miserably in
Opera, and I have even had problems with IE. Firefox seems to be the only
one that works correctly with it.

To the OP, please consider how you do this - before AJAX was the
technique du jour, people were used to a trip to the server. If a form
is designed well, an extra trip is hardly noticable.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services
http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
Please respond to the group so others can share

 
Reply With Quote
 
Roy A.
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2007
On 7 Jun, 12:02, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I am trying to implement a shopping cart. When the user clicks the
> checkout button, 2 things need to be done. 1)Saving the user's data
> and 2) open the checkout webpage (3rd party).
> the checkout webpage requires a HTTP POST, so I cannot load my page
> first, then redirect.
> But maybe I can do this in a Google way. When I write an e-mail in
> gmail, it saves the draft automatically. how is it done? I guess it
> silently submits a form in the background. anyone has more information?


Can't you submit the user data and make the 3rd party HTTP POST from
the server?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HTML File Upload using enctype=multipart/form-data in form? Matt Java 8 05-26-2012 07:40 AM
How to retrieve form field value if form is EncType=multipart/form-dataForm? Li Zhang ASP .Net 4 02-27-2009 01:23 AM
HTML form inside a ASP.NET form: CMS Mark ASP .Net 2 03-15-2006 07:38 PM
<form>...</form> - how to supress blank space after </form> in IE? rob c Javascript 4 12-30-2005 06:10 PM
submit form data in multiple buttons on a html form Matt HTML 0 06-26-2004 08:04 PM



Advertisments