Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Pan's Labyrinth

Pan's Labyrinth

Derek Janssen

dgates wrote:

> Perhaps I'm too left-brained in this way, but words printed at the
> bottom of the screen always seem "important" to me in a way with which
> the the visuals have a hard time competing.

Perhaps you are:
Being an anime watcher, I've noticed that the effect of watching
subtitles works like that darn left-vs.-right-brain computer game where
they flash the word "Red" in blue and "Yellow" in green and ask you to
click the right color--

Ie., you remember the dialogue later, but thinking back, your memory
keeps switching back and forth between the two languages, and you HEAR
the foreign actors saying them in English with their own inflections...

Derek Janssen

JackShephard

On Thu, 07 Jun 2007 21:42:52 -0400, Derek Janssen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>dgates wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps I'm too left-brained in this way, but words printed at the
>> bottom of the screen always seem "important" to me in a way with which
>> the the visuals have a hard time competing.

>Perhaps you are:
>Being an anime watcher, I've noticed that the effect of watching
>subtitles works like that darn left-vs.-right-brain computer game where
>they flash the word "Red" in blue and "Yellow" in green and ask you to
>click the right color--
>
>Ie., you remember the dialogue later, but thinking back, your memory
>keeps switching back and forth between the two languages, and you HEAR
>the foreign actors saying them in English with their own inflections...

Go, Speed Racer! Bwuahahahahahah! Yeah... right!

Jonathan Brisby

Generally I like it when both are on a DVD/LD. Although I normally
just watch a movie in it's original language with subtitles first and
then watch it in original language without any subs since I know
what's going on and recall what the characters have said to a point.
Although sometimes I'm just too tired (to remember the entire movie or
to bother reading) so I click on the English audio track.

Some people like it one way, other's like it another, best just to
offer both so everyone can be happy IMO.

Jordan

On Jun 6, 7:01 pm, Phisherman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The Pan's Labyrinth DVD that is at our local Blockbuster is in Spanish
> with English subtitles. Can't see how a movie that is in Spanish is
> in high demand (there may be less than 500 Spanish speaking folks in
> out town) or movie watchers don't mind reading English captions? Has
> anyone seen Pan's Labyrinth dubbed in English?

I own the DVD and there is no dubbed version. My experience with dubs
has been spotty. Some of the Miyazaki flicks are acceptably dubbed
because Disney went out of their way to find talented actors to do the
dub (Spirited Away comes to mind). Others (Brotherhood of the Wolf,
District B-13), the dub is just god-awful because it was done as an
after-thought.

In the case of Pan's Labyrinth, it was set in Spain, and filmed in
Spanish by a Mexican director. It doesn't surprise me that there's no
dubbed version.

As to the appeal, well, if you're interested in good movies it
shouldn't matter what language they're in. None of my very favorite
films are in English:

Seven Samurai - Japanese
M - German
Wings of Desire - German

- Jordan

- Jordan

elrous0@pop.uky.edu

On Jun 6, 10:01 pm, Phisherman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The Pan's Labyrinth DVD that is at our local Blockbuster is in Spanish
> with English subtitles. Can't see how a movie that is in Spanish is
> in high demand (there may be less than 500 Spanish speaking folks in
> out town) or movie watchers don't mind reading English captions? Has
> anyone seen Pan's Labyrinth dubbed in English?

Just do what everyone else does. Go down to you local Home Depot some
morning and grab a Mexican to translate for you. It will cost you $20,
but trust me, it's worth every penny.

skip

(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:1182350838.544714.258850
@w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

> On Jun 6, 10:01 pm, Phisherman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> The Pan's Labyrinth DVD that is at our local Blockbuster is in Spanish
>> with English subtitles. Can't see how a movie that is in Spanish is
>> in high demand (there may be less than 500 Spanish speaking folks in
>> out town) or movie watchers don't mind reading English captions? Has
>> anyone seen Pan's Labyrinth dubbed in English?

here in los angeles there are less that 500 english speaking people

New releases: Hannibal Rising, Can't Hurry Love & Pan's Labyrinth: Updated complete downloadable R1 DVD DB & info lists Doug MacLean DVD Video 0 03-20-2007 04:55 AM
Labyrinth DVD rrinyai DVD Video 2 09-13-2006 09:47 PM
Labyrinth DVD - Remastered? Dennis Kuhn DVD Video 12 02-29-2004 07:59 AM

Advertisments