Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Manual Auto?

Manual Auto?

Becca

Looking for an easy route here, please forgive me all purists...
Most image processing software from the simplest digicam
manufacturer's CD contents to PhotoShop offers 'auto fixes' of
contrast, color etc, which I often find ALMOST right. Is there any
software which can fix my pics automagically, but then allow me to
tweak the amount of applied effect without having to start manually
setting all curves, balances etc, or even bother about what the effect
actually did? I AM aware of the 'fade effect' option often found, but
I want to be able to increase the effect as well as decrease it.
Thanks!

Shawn Hirn

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
Becca <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Looking for an easy route here, please forgive me all purists...
> Most image processing software from the simplest digicam
> manufacturer's CD contents to PhotoShop offers 'auto fixes' of
> contrast, color etc, which I often find ALMOST right. Is there any
> software which can fix my pics automagically, but then allow me to
> tweak the amount of applied effect without having to start manually
> setting all curves, balances etc, or even bother about what the effect
> actually did? I AM aware of the 'fade effect' option often found, but
> I want to be able to increase the effect as well as decrease it.
> Thanks!

You could probably set up a Photoshop workflow to do what you want. Post
your question on a Photoshop forum to see what they say.

acl

On Jun 6, 1:12 pm, Becca <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Looking for an easy route here, please forgive me all purists...
> Most image processing software from the simplest digicam
> manufacturer's CD contents to PhotoShop offers 'auto fixes' of
> contrast, color etc, which I often find ALMOST right. Is there any
> software which can fix my pics automagically, but then allow me to
> tweak the amount of applied effect without having to start manually
> setting all curves, balances etc, or even bother about what the effect
> actually did? I AM aware of the 'fade effect' option often found, but
> I want to be able to increase the effect as well as decrease it.
> Thanks!

DXO probably does what you want. Could be expensive, though (it
depends on the camera).

Becca

On Jun 6, 12:34 pm, Shawn Hirn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> You could probably set up a Photoshop workflow to do what you want. Post
> your question on a Photoshop forum to see what they say.

No I can't, really.. If I KNEW exactly what I technically wanted to do
I could, but I want the 'magic' automatic effects of an image
processing program (not necessarily PS, although I use that too).. I
just want to be able to control the amount of magic, as I tried to
explain in my original post.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

Becca

On Jun 6, 12:44 pm, acl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> DXO probably does what you want. Could be expensive, though (it
> depends on the camera).

DXO seems exciting, but expensive... True to my nature, I was hoping
to get something for a smile and a song. And I toy with images
from lots of different sources (usually in JPG format to begin with),
so I'm not sure if DXO's manufacturer-adapted processing would help me
any. I was hoping for something simpler... but thanks so much for
tipping me off about it!

gowanoh

Sorry to be a purist but what you want does not exist without understanding
how to use basic features of a program like Photoshop/Elements.
If you are using jpegs of who knows what quality and are satisfied with the
auto fix features of whatever imaging programs you use, and you understand
the fade control in PS or Elements then simply learning to use simple
layers will probably do what you want.
Using Elements simply create a duplicate layer, label it with whatever fix
you are applying and apply different fixes to different layers. For example
the color fix on one layer, the contrast fix on another, etc.
You can flatten the final image and resave in whatever format you like or
save as a psd with the non-destructive layers intact.

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "Becca" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Jun 6, 12:44 pm, acl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > DXO probably does what you want. Could be expensive, though (it
> > depends on the camera).

> DXO seems exciting, but expensive... True to my nature, I was hoping
> to get something for a smile and a song. And I toy with images
> from lots of different sources (usually in JPG format to begin with),
> so I'm not sure if DXO's manufacturer-adapted processing would help me
> any. I was hoping for something simpler... but thanks so much for
> tipping me off about it!

I have Ulead Photo explorer 8.0 that came with my nytech camera from Lidl
(www.nytech.de) I don't know if you can get it separately and how.It's quite
good for a snapshot P&S guy like me...I also have Ulead Video studio 8.0 for
my camcorder videos which is also satisfactory (came with the firewire
card)...

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

Becca

On Jun 6, 7:46 pm, "gowanoh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Sorry to be a purist but what you want does not exist without understanding
> how to use basic features of a program like Photoshop/Elements.

Oh I think I do...

> If you are using jpegs of who knows what quality and are satisfied with the
> auto fix features of whatever imaging programs you use, ...

No, the point is I'm not. Quite. But what they do is often quite
complex to emulate manually, for me anyway.. and I would simply like
the opportunity of them doing less or _more_ of what they do.

>and you understand
> the fade control in PS or Elements then simply learning to use simple
> layers will probably do what you want.
> Using Elements simply create a duplicate layer, label it with whatever fix
> you are applying and apply different fixes to different layers. For example
> the color fix on one layer, the contrast fix on another, etc.
> You can flatten the final image and resave in whatever format you like or
> save as a psd with the non-destructive layers intact.

Well, that would allow me to fade effects in tandem, on different
layers, but again, effect fading is only at most half of what I'm
looking for. (Technically, applying a certain 'auto fix' effect to a
lesser degree is not necessarily the same as fading it, you know.) But
thanks for the suggestion anyway. I am very familiar with it.

Becca

On Jun 6, 7:47 pm, "Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ? "Becca" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????news:(E-Mail Removed) oglegroups.com...> On Jun 6, 12:44 pm, acl <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > > DXO probably does what you want. Could be expensive, though (it
> > > depends on the camera).

> > DXO seems exciting, but expensive... True to my nature, I was hoping
> > to get something for a smile and a song. And I toy with images
> > from lots of different sources (usually in JPG format to begin with),
> > so I'm not sure if DXO's manufacturer-adapted processing would help me
> > any. I was hoping for something simpler... but thanks so much for
> > tipping me off about it!

> I have Ulead Photo explorer 8.0 that came with my nytech camera from Lidl
> (www.nytech.de) I don't know if you can get it separately and how.It's quite
> good for a snapshot P&S guy like me...I also have Ulead Video studio 8.0 for
> my camcorder videos which is also satisfactory (came with the firewire
> card)...
>
> --
> Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
> major in electrical engineering
> mechanized infantry reservist
> dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

Mmm.. are you saying that it has anything of the possibilities I am
looking for? Or are you simply giving me a tip of an image processing
program you like? That's nice too... but if Ulead has what I'm
looking for I'd love to hear more about it.

ben brugman

Take a look at Picasa, this has a lot of 'tweaks' were you can adjust the
amount to you own likings. This is aimed at users not having the knowledge
and not wanting to have that knowledge needed for photoshop. So there is a
lot of adjustment, and you do not need to know what the program actually
does, you also do not have the control as you would have using photoshop
with knowledge.

ben

"Becca" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...