Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Q on MS Nerd (aka "word")

Q on MS Nerd (aka "word")

Robert Baer

I absolutely hate MS Nerd; it is so klunky, does not do what you tell
it to do, constantly un-does spell ignores, etc & etc.

Aggrivating problem #1: Insert a picture beneath a line of text
(makes no difference if empty lines exist below or not). Then Format and
tell it *beneath* text and centered. Move the picture some. Format is
now *in front" and "any" (or something like that). SO am *forced* to
format the damn picture !twice! every time.
Fixes? Work-arounds?

Aggrivating problem #2: Page numbering seems to be available only in
headers and footers, and there is *NO* way to change the type size or
the font; "format" does not allow you to format such attributes. I do
*not* want microprint page numbers (!!) i want something easily readable.
Fixes? Work-arounds?

babaloo

Word is a bloated elephant of a program but since the 2003 version is at
least more stable than prior versions. It is not any more functional than
Word 97, just more stable.
I do not love Word. I just use it all day almost every day.
You are right, it does "forget" to ignore some auto-spelling and capital
intructions, but how often does that come up really compared to mistyping?
I have no idea what you are referring to in problem one. Word has limits for
complex page formatting with graphics and text. Workarounds involve the use
of columns and other devices. You may need a desktop publishing program if
you have complex formatting requirements.
If I understand your rant you are just plain wrong-headed about problem 2.
Automatic paging is only available in headers and footers. The drop down
boxes are not always intuitively stuctured but it is not that hard to figure
out. The text and page numbers can be formatted to different fonts and type
sizes in headers and footers so I have no idea what you are talking about.
Maybe you should study the help files?

tony sayer

In article <wzs9i.12895$(E-Mail Removed) >, babaloo
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Word is a bloated elephant of a program but since the 2003 version is at
>least more stable than prior versions. It is not any more functional than
>Word 97, just more stable.
>I do not love Word. I just use it all day almost every day.
>You are right, it does "forget" to ignore some auto-spelling and capital
>intructions, but how often does that come up really compared to mistyping?
>I have no idea what you are referring to in problem one. Word has limits for
>complex page formatting with graphics and text. Workarounds involve the use
>of columns and other devices. You may need a desktop publishing program if
>you have complex formatting requirements.
>If I understand your rant you are just plain wrong-headed about problem 2.
>Automatic paging is only available in headers and footers. The drop down
>boxes are not always intuitively stuctured but it is not that hard to figure
>out. The text and page numbers can be formatted to different fonts and type
>sizes in headers and footers so I have no idea what you are talking about.
>Maybe you should study the help files?

Open office anyone?....
--
Tony Sayer

Robert Baer

babaloo wrote:
> Word is a bloated elephant of a program but since the 2003 version is at
> least more stable than prior versions. It is not any more functional than
> Word 97, just more stable.
> I do not love Word. I just use it all day almost every day.
> You are right, it does "forget" to ignore some auto-spelling and capital
> intructions, but how often does that come up really compared to mistyping?
> I have no idea what you are referring to in problem one. Word has limits for
> complex page formatting with graphics and text. Workarounds involve the use
> of columns and other devices. You may need a desktop publishing program if
> you have complex formatting requirements.
> If I understand your rant you are just plain wrong-headed about problem 2.
> Automatic paging is only available in headers and footers. The drop down
> boxes are not always intuitively stuctured but it is not that hard to figure
> out. The text and page numbers can be formatted to different fonts and type
> sizes in headers and footers so I have no idea what you are talking about.
> Maybe you should study the help files?

I have found absolutely NO WAY to change the font size for page numbers.
I was hoping that a work-around might be (automatic) page numbering
in the text area itself, but it seems the only auto page numbering is in
header or footer.
So, *how* does one change the font size of those "page numbers" that
are so small they can hardly be seen?

Robert Baer

tony sayer wrote:

> In article <wzs9i.12895$(E-Mail Removed) >, babaloo
> <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>
>>Word is a bloated elephant of a program but since the 2003 version is at
>>least more stable than prior versions. It is not any more functional than
>>Word 97, just more stable.
>>I do not love Word. I just use it all day almost every day.
>>You are right, it does "forget" to ignore some auto-spelling and capital
>>intructions, but how often does that come up really compared to mistyping?
>>I have no idea what you are referring to in problem one. Word has limits for
>>complex page formatting with graphics and text. Workarounds involve the use
>>of columns and other devices. You may need a desktop publishing program if
>>you have complex formatting requirements.
>>If I understand your rant you are just plain wrong-headed about problem 2.
>>Automatic paging is only available in headers and footers. The drop down
>>boxes are not always intuitively stuctured but it is not that hard to figure
>>out. The text and page numbers can be formatted to different fonts and type
>>sizes in headers and footers so I have no idea what you are talking about.
>>Maybe you should study the help files?
>>

> Open office anyone?....

Too late..document transfer is ugly.

Robert Baer

babaloo wrote:

> Word is a bloated elephant of a program but since the 2003 version is at
> least more stable than prior versions. It is not any more functional than
> Word 97, just more stable.
> I do not love Word. I just use it all day almost every day.
> You are right, it does "forget" to ignore some auto-spelling and capital
> intructions, but how often does that come up really compared to mistyping?
> I have no idea what you are referring to in problem one. Word has limits for
> complex page formatting with graphics and text. Workarounds involve the use
> of columns and other devices. You may need a desktop publishing program if
> you have complex formatting requirements.
> If I understand your rant you are just plain wrong-headed about problem 2.
> Automatic paging is only available in headers and footers. The drop down
> boxes are not always intuitively stuctured but it is not that hard to figure
> out. The text and page numbers can be formatted to different fonts and type
> sizes in headers and footers so I have no idea what you are talking about.
> Maybe you should study the help files?

If one starts with a new document, and types in a short line with a
>CR> or "hard return", and inserts a picture below it, then uses Format

/ picture, there is a problem.
Selecting placement as behind text and "center" does *not* make it
so; you have to do it a second time before all is OK.
This ain't "fancy" by any means and the damn program should "follow"
instructions - else why the stupid options?

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

On 6 Jun, 04:32, Robert Baer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I absolutely hate MS Nerd; it is so klunky, does not do what you tell
> it to do, constantly un-does spell ignores, etc & etc.
>
> Aggrivating problem #1: Insert a picture beneath a line of text
> (makes no difference if empty lines exist below or not). Then Format and
> tell it *beneath* text and centered. Move the picture some. Format is
> now *in front" and "any" (or something like that). SO am *forced* to
> format the damn picture !twice! every time.
> Fixes? Work-arounds?
>
> Aggrivating problem #2: Page numbering seems to be available only in
> headers and footers, and there is *NO* way to change the type size or
> the font; "format" does not allow you to format such attributes. I do
> *not* want microprint page numbers (!!) i want something easily readable.
> Fixes? Work-arounds?

try an ms word newsgroup (search google groups for a newsgruop. It has
newsgroups/usenet, as well as the newer google groups)

I use Word 97. As somebody said, it has everything I need. Maybe Word
95 prob did too!!
Even word perfect , 7 i think, was quite good. Maybe even 6.

For page numbers
insert...page number
Then you get a header or footer with a page number in it. Glued on
each page. A bit like a template, but glued. Doesn't move around when
you push enter.

You've got that far.

Now double click the thing. The header, or the footer, depending on
whether the page number is in a header or a footer, (depends on
whether you set it to be top of page or bottom of page).

And you can change the font size.

Just highlight the page number, and up the font size. It seems to
change it on every page - every current page and every new page.

There is a useful option somewhere to add rollover key combinations or
whatever you call them. So I know changing the font size is also CTRL
+SHIFT+P . I tend to use that.

In short. Double click the page number and make the font bigger!!!!

Dunno how you didn't notice that in experimenting!

Robert Baer

> On 6 Jun, 04:32, Robert Baer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I absolutely hate MS Nerd; it is so klunky, does not do what you tell
>>it to do, constantly un-does spell ignores, etc & etc.
>>
>> Aggrivating problem #1: Insert a picture beneath a line of text
>>(makes no difference if empty lines exist below or not). Then Format and
>>tell it *beneath* text and centered. Move the picture some. Format is
>>now *in front" and "any" (or something like that). SO am *forced* to
>>format the damn picture !twice! every time.
>> Fixes? Work-arounds?
>>
>> Aggrivating problem #2: Page numbering seems to be available only in
>>headers and footers, and there is *NO* way to change the type size or
>>the font; "format" does not allow you to format such attributes. I do
>>*not* want microprint page numbers (!!) i want something easily readable.
>> Fixes? Work-arounds?

> try an ms word newsgroup (search google groups for a newsgruop. It has
> newsgroups/usenet, as well as the newer google groups)
>
> I use Word 97. As somebody said, it has everything I need. Maybe Word
> 95 prob did too!!
> Even word perfect , 7 i think, was quite good. Maybe even 6.
>
> For page numbers
> insert...page number
> Then you get a header or footer with a page number in it. Glued on
> each page. A bit like a template, but glued. Doesn't move around when
> you push enter.
>
> You've got that far.
>
> Now double click the thing. The header, or the footer, depending on
> whether the page number is in a header or a footer, (depends on
> whether you set it to be top of page or bottom of page).
>
> And you can change the font size.
>
> Just highlight the page number, and up the font size. It seems to
> change it on every page - every current page and every new page.
>
> There is a useful option somewhere to add rollover key combinations or
> whatever you call them. So I know changing the font size is also CTRL
> +SHIFT+P . I tend to use that.
>

> In short. Double click the page number and make the font bigger!!!!
>
> Dunno how you didn't notice that in experimenting!

Thanks; i will try that.
"Nerd" is so crappy that i am afraid of experimenting, for fear of
totaly ruining the document.

Robert Baer

Robert Baer wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> On 6 Jun, 04:32, Robert Baer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I absolutely hate MS Nerd; it is so klunky, does not do what you tell
>>> it to do, constantly un-does spell ignores, etc & etc.
>>>
>>> Aggrivating problem #1: Insert a picture beneath a line of text
>>> (makes no difference if empty lines exist below or not). Then Format and
>>> tell it *beneath* text and centered. Move the picture some. Format is
>>> now *in front" and "any" (or something like that). SO am *forced* to
>>> format the damn picture !twice! every time.
>>> Fixes? Work-arounds?
>>>
>>> Aggrivating problem #2: Page numbering seems to be available only in
>>> headers and footers, and there is *NO* way to change the type size or
>>> the font; "format" does not allow you to format such attributes. I do
>>> *not* want microprint page numbers (!!) i want something easily
>>> readable.
>>> Fixes? Work-arounds?

>> try an ms word newsgroup (search google groups for a newsgruop. It has
>> newsgroups/usenet, as well as the newer google groups)
>>
>> I use Word 97. As somebody said, it has everything I need. Maybe Word
>> 95 prob did too!!
>> Even word perfect , 7 i think, was quite good. Maybe even 6.
>>
>> For page numbers
>> insert...page number
>> Then you get a header or footer with a page number in it. Glued on
>> each page. A bit like a template, but glued. Doesn't move around when
>> you push enter.
>>
>> You've got that far.
>>
>> Now double click the thing. The header, or the footer, depending on
>> whether the page number is in a header or a footer, (depends on
>> whether you set it to be top of page or bottom of page).
>>
>> And you can change the font size.
>>
>> Just highlight the page number, and up the font size. It seems to
>> change it on every page - every current page and every new page.
>>
>> There is a useful option somewhere to add rollover key combinations or
>> whatever you call them. So I know changing the font size is also CTRL
>> +SHIFT+P . I tend to use that.
>>

>> In short. Double click the page number and make the font bigger!!!!
>>
>> Dunno how you didn't notice that in experimenting!
>>

> Thanks; i will try that.
> "Nerd" is so crappy that i am afraid of experimenting, for fear of
> totaly ruining the document.

THANKS!! That worked (btw, i am using Nerd 2000).

jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk

On 13 Jun, 17:45, Robert Baer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Robert Baer wrote:
> > (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> >> try an ms word newsgroup (search google groups for a newsgruop. It has
> >> newsgroups/usenet, as well as the newer google groups)

> >> I use Word 97. As somebody said, it has everything I need. Maybe Word
> >> 95 prob did too!!
> >> Even word perfect , 7 i think, was quite good. Maybe even 6.

> >> For page numbers
> >> insert...page number
> >> Then you get a header or footer with a page number in it. Glued on
> >> each page. A bit like a template, but glued. Doesn't move around when
> >> you push enter.

> >> You've got that far.

> >> Now double click the thing. The header, or the footer, depending on
> >> whether the page number is in a header or a footer, (depends on
> >> whether you set it to be top of page or bottom of page).

> >> And you can change the font size.

> >> Just highlight the page number, and up the font size. It seems to
> >> change it on every page - every current page and every new page.

> >> There is a useful option somewhere to add rollover key combinations or
> >> whatever you call them. So I know changing the font size is also CTRL
> >> +SHIFT+P . I tend to use that.

> >> In short. Double click the page number and make the font bigger!!!!

> >> Dunno how you didn't notice that in experimenting!

> > Thanks; i will try that.
> > "Nerd" is so crappy that i am afraid of experimenting, for fear of
> > totaly ruining the document.

> THANKS!! That worked (btw, i am using Nerd 2000).

You shouldn't call it Ms Nerd. Considering that you are talking to
nerds, and people that value being a nerd. Obviously if you were more
of a nerd, you wouldn't have this problem. And fortunately for you,
you're nerdy enough to be able to ask your question in a newsgroup.

Ms Word is no more 'nerdy' than any other piece of GUI software.
Except that it works well. And that's why you and others use it. And
that's why Open Office "cloned" it.

Most people are fortunate enough not to be doing the GIRLY job of
writing "documents" full of pictures, inserting pictures in there.

Regarding your spelling ignore.. If word is for some reason undoing
it.. Then why not instead of right clicking the word and choosing
ignore. Choose ADD. Then the word is added to the dictionary, and word
won't put a red squiggly line under it, and it'll still spell check
your document as you write it.

PLAY with Word. Don't be afraid to "ruin a document".
You open a new document and run tests in it. As with LEARNING
ANYTHING. Be it a new programming language, a piece of software, a new
skill, e.t.c. You don't experiment with your word. You experiment on
something that doesn't matter - something that can get screwed up.

Your issues are philosophical.

Nerd Vittles "Asteridex" Robodialler Jono UK VOIP 3 12-01-2005 12:55 AM
OT: Ping Nerd Keyboard Cowboy MCSE 4 02-01-2005 02:09 PM
OT: Nerd designed a Keyboard... =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?= MCSE 12 01-07-2005 07:55 PM
[OT] Office/Computer/Nerd/Geek gifts and clothing Rogue Chameleon Java 0 10-22-2004 07:00 PM
I want to be a hacker/nerd b4 I die. Ghost issues (now and after I die) O.Phooey Computer Support 4 07-05-2003 08:35 PM

Advertisments