Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Where to "adjust" Avast?

Reply
Thread Tools

Where to "adjust" Avast?

 
 
Sigi Rindler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2007
I have been using Avast for a long time. Viruses that arrived at my computer
were eliminated as soon as they arrived, and I didn't even become aware of
it.

However, for the past 3 days a window pops up which tells me that I have
received a virus, trojan, worm... Then I have to click on "delete" whenever
the window pops up. Where does one tell the program to do that
automatically?

In "Program Settings" and "Confirmation" I unclicked the box for "Ask before
deleting files from Chest"... but this one makes no difference. I rebooted
the computer, but it didn't make any difference?

Thanks,
Murgi



----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
pcbutts1
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2007
It says it on the same window below the delete button.

--

Newsgroup Trolls. Read about mine here http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads
The list grows. Leythos the stalker http://www.leythosthestalker.com, David
H. Lipman, Max M Wachtell III aka What's in a Name?, Fitz,
Rhonda Lea Kirk, Meat Plow, F Kwatu F, George Orwell



"Sigi Rindler" <(E-Mail Removed)-net.ne.jp> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been using Avast for a long time. Viruses that arrived at my
>computer
> were eliminated as soon as they arrived, and I didn't even become aware of
> it.
>
> However, for the past 3 days a window pops up which tells me that I have
> received a virus, trojan, worm... Then I have to click on "delete"
> whenever
> the window pops up. Where does one tell the program to do that
> automatically?
>
> In "Program Settings" and "Confirmation" I unclicked the box for "Ask
> before
> deleting files from Chest"... but this one makes no difference. I rebooted
> the computer, but it didn't make any difference?
>
> Thanks,
> Murgi
>
>
> ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet
> News==----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
> Newsgroups
> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
> =----



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Sigi Rindler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2007

"pcbutts1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f454jb$52s$(E-Mail Removed)...
> It says it on the same window below the delete button.



Wow... and thanks! Your answer arrived in less than 1 minute...
Now I am waiting for the next popup... and getting ready for a visit to the
eye doctor!

Murgi



----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
 
Reply With Quote
 
Sigi Rindler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2007

"Sigi Rindler" <(E-Mail Removed)-net.ne.jp> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "pcbutts1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:f454jb$52s$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> It says it on the same window below the delete button.



Hmmm... tried it, but pressing the "Quarantine" button saves me only one
click, and the popups still need to be handled manually one by one.



----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
 
Reply With Quote
 
dadiOH
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2007
Sigi Rindler wrote:

> Hmmm... tried it, but pressing the "Quarantine" button saves me
> only one
> click, and the popups still need to be handled manually one by one.


Try right clicking the systray icon and poking around in "On-Access
Ptotection Control". When you get there, note there is a page for
each "shield" and that you get to controls for a particular shield via
the "customize" button. Once you are in the customizing applet, look
on the advanced tab...there are two boxes there that may bring joy to
your heart.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico



 
Reply With Quote
 
Vanguard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-06-2007
"Sigi Rindler" wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been using Avast for a long time. Viruses that arrived at my
>computer
> were eliminated as soon as they arrived, and I didn't even become
> aware of
> it.
>
> However, for the past 3 days a window pops up which tells me that I
> have
> received a virus, trojan, worm... Then I have to click on "delete"
> whenever
> the window pops up. Where does one tell the program to do that
> automatically?
>
> In "Program Settings" and "Confirmation" I unclicked the box for "Ask
> before
> deleting files from Chest"... but this one makes no difference. I
> rebooted the computer, but it didn't make any difference?



So do you save periodic disk/partition images or perform OS repair
installs when the AV program automatically deletes files that it
*thinks* are pests, including critical OS files? You should always have
the AV program notify you when it finds a pest and it should always be
your choice and your responsibility for determing what action to take
against the alleged pest. Else, you are letting the AV silently **** up
your OS or applications because of false positives, and they DO occur.
If you don't want all those popups against pests, stop downloading porn
or revisiting those infected sites. If you are gettings so many popups
that it is of great nuisance then YOU are doing something wrong and
doing it repeatedly.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Christopher Syn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-07-2007

"Sigi Rindler" <(E-Mail Removed)-net.ne.jp> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been using Avast for a long time. Viruses that arrived at my
>computer
> were eliminated as soon as they arrived, and I didn't even become aware of
> it.


how did you know then?


>
> However, for the past 3 days a window pops up which tells me that I have
> received a virus, trojan, worm... Then I have to click on "delete"
> whenever
> the window pops up.


contradicts what you said above.

Where does one tell the program to do that
> automatically?
>
> In "Program Settings" and "Confirmation" I unclicked the box for "Ask
> before
> deleting files from Chest"... but this one makes no difference. I rebooted
> the computer, but it didn't make any difference?


thats the viri that avast cant do anything with....



>
> Thanks,
> Murgi
>
>
> ----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet
> News==----
> http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
> Newsgroups
> ----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
> =----



 
Reply With Quote
 
Sigi Rindler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2007
Here is a part of the AVAST FAQ I just found:
The automatic delete function exists only in the professional version of
AVAST. I am not really interested in knowing who sends me between 20 and 30
infected emails every day which I need to delete or send unto quarantaine
one by one. Never mind if a legitimate email gets lost...
PCCillin did have the same handy function as I remember.

Q: Is it possible to setup avast! HOME to automatically delete
infected attachments from incoming e-mail messages?

A: Yes, itīs possible, but in PROFESSIONAL edition only. This feature
is not available in the HOME version.

So, if youīre using the PROFESSIONAL edition, follow these steps:

1.. Start avast! in enhanced interface.
2.. In left panel, click on TASKS.
3.. In right panel, right-click on the task RESIDENT PROTECTION and
select PROPERTIES.
4.. Below check the ADVANCED CONFIGURATION checkbox.
5.. In left panel, under OUTLOOK/EXCHANGE or INTERNET MAIL provider,
click on VIRUS.
6.. Click on REMOVE LAST WORD button and then click on DELETE
button.
7.. Click OK to save the changes.




----== Posted via Newsfeeds.Com - Unlimited-Unrestricted-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----
 
Reply With Quote
 
Vanguard
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-08-2007
"Sigi Rindler" <(E-Mail Removed)-net.ne.jp> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here is a part of the AVAST FAQ I just found:
> The automatic delete function exists only in the professional version
> of AVAST. I am not really interested in knowing who sends me between
> 20 and 30 infected emails every day which I need to delete or send
> unto quarantaine one by one. Never mind if a legitimate email gets
> lost...
> PCCillin did have the same handy function as I remember.
>
> Q: Is it possible to setup avast! HOME to automatically delete
> infected attachments from incoming e-mail messages?
>
> A: Yes, itīs possible, but in PROFESSIONAL edition only. This
> feature is not available in the HOME version.


Anti-virus scanning of e-mail is superfluous and too often interferes
with the operation of the e-mail client, usually by introducing extended
delays to deliver the traffic to the e-mail client after it requests new
messages from the mail server. The traffic gets intercepted by the AV
program to interrogate it before it then passes it on to the e-mail
client. This causes timeouts in the e-mail client. Some AV programs
will periodically send a bogus header to the e-mail client during this
interrogation (but for those that have this feature there are some that
require the user to enable it).

E-mail scanning is redundant because the same realtime scanner used to
interrogate the mail traffic is the same one used to check when you
create or update a file on the drive, like when you try to save the
attachment from the e-mail. All e-mail gets sent as plain-text so
attachments are harmless within them. The attachments are encoded into
a text block in the body of the e-mail. Text doesn't execute. When you
attempt to decode the text encoded attachment back into an executable
binary file is when the AV's realtime scanner will catch it.

The real problem is that you have no decent anti-spam filtering in
place. I don't get infected e-mails because they originate from spam
sources. There are lots of free anti-spam solutions. I happen to use
SpamPal along with its Bayesian, RegEx, and HTML-Modify plugins
(although I've disabled quite a bit of the HTML-Modify plug-in since its
detection methods are too old but it does afford striping out nasty HTML
code by renaming tags so they are invalid and don't get rendered).

Infected e-mail from non-spam sources usually means they come from the
same few sources. Anti-spam software or even your e-mail client can use
blacklisting to eliminate those pests.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Advertisments