Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Installing SATA drives on Windows ME

Installing SATA drives on Windows ME

TJ

My 'SATA saga' to clean install WIN ME on a new drive, and run it
with an PATA IDE drive has finally ended successfully.

By way of record this is the bottom line how to do it.

Providing you motherboard has SATA slots, or you have a PCI card - and
your BIOS recognises the SATA drive, you can clean install WIN ME on
the drive in the usual way.

What you will then NOT be able to do when Windows restarts for the 2nd
last time (before setting up the last lot of hardware) is open Windows
in anything but SAFE MODE. Which won't allow you to access the CD ROM.

Windows ME (or 9 doesn't have SCSI SATA or RAID drivers. So you
need to load the SATA driver off your motherboard CD into WIN ME
during setup so it can open Windows in full mode.

Your PATA HDD will recognise the SATA drive, but even the PATA drive
will only open in SAFE mode with the SATA drive connected.

So first you load the SATA driver onto your PATA drive Windows ME. (so
later you can run both drives together if you want in full Windows
mode.

Then on the PATA drive open the modo driver CD and copy the SATA
driver onto a folder on the PATA drive.

Restart in Safe Mode with both drives connected. Copy the SATA drivers
from the PATA drive to a folder in the SATA drive.

Restart the SATA drive alone in Safe Mode, open and install the SATA
drivers. Retart and bingo!, Windows will immediately compelete the
last hartdware recognition/ installation phase in full mode.

And you can run both drives together as master or slave by changing
the setup sequence on bootup.

Hope this is useful

TJ

Christopher Syn

who the hell wants to use ME on anything let alone SATA?

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...