Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Shutdown Problem

Shutdown Problem

Carole & Phil Silverman

My Pentium 3, 98SE OS won't shut down properly(Start/Shut down/Shut
down/ok). I have to manually shut down in which case the screen shows a
large Windows icon and text "Windows is Shutting Down", but nothing happens.
When I manually reboot, the computer goes into scandisk mode. All programs
are closed before shutting down.

meerkat

"Carole & Phil Silverman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Smi9i.6546$(E-Mail Removed) t...
> My Pentium 3, 98SE OS won't shut down properly(Start/Shut down/Shut
> down/ok). I have to manually shut down in which case the screen shows a
> large Windows icon and text "Windows is Shutting Down", but nothing
> happens.
> When I manually reboot, the computer goes into scandisk mode. All programs
> are closed before shutting down.

Hi C&P try here...
http://www.aumha.org/win4/a/shtdwnse.php

why?

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 11:52:56 -0700, Carole & Phil Silverman wrote:

>My Pentium 3, 98SE OS won't shut down properly(Start/Shut down/Shut
>down/ok). I have to manually shut down in which case the screen shows a
>large Windows icon and text "Windows is Shutting Down", but nothing happens.
>When I manually reboot, the computer goes into scandisk mode. All programs
>are closed before shutting down.

98 / 98SE ?

Try,

www.google.com
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,430,000 for
windows 98 shutdown
.. (0.12 seconds)

http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/d...SE/Default.asp
Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement

http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/d.../corporate.asp
Windows 98 Second Edition Mapped Drives Shutdown Update
Posted 22 May 00
This update resolves a shutdown issue in Windows 98 Second Edition,
where Windows may stop responding if there are a significant number of
mapped network drives on your computer. The larger the number of drives
that are mapped, the more likely the problem may occur.

Problems Shutting Down Windows 98 Second Edition
For additional information about troubleshooting Windows 98 shutdown ...
Microsoft has released the Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement
that ...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/238096 - Similar pages

How to troubleshoot Windows 98 shutdown problems
This article describes how to troubleshoot problems that may occur when
you attempt to shut down and restart your computer. Note that this
information is ...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/202633 - Similar pages
[ More results from support.microsoft.com ]

Windows 98 Shutdown Home
Some DCI computers running Windows 98 have experienced shutdown
problems. This is not a "Dell" problem or a "DCI" problem, but a more
general Windows 98 ...
www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/dci/98shutdn.html - 15k - Cached - Similar
pages

Windows 98 Troubleshooting: Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown ...
Windows 98 Troubleshooting: Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Problems
- HelpWithWindows.com.
www.helpwithwindows.com/windows98/troub-51.shtml - 21k - Cached -
Similar pages

Windows 98 SE Shutdown Troubleshooter
There is a widespread shutdown bug with WINDOWS 98 SECOND EDITION. The
problem does not affect a majority, or even significant minority, ...
www.aumha.org/win4/a/shtdwnse.php - 29k - Cached - Similar pages

Smart Computing Article - Windows 98 Shutdown Problems
Smart Computing Article - Windows 98 Shutdown Problems.
http://www.smartcomputing.com/editor...8s11.asp&guid=
- 27k - Cached - Similar pages

Windows 95/98 Shutdown problem
c) Check Microsoft Knowledge base using "windows 98 shut down" as search
text. The following URL gives more specific information and instructions
on this ...
http://8help.osu.edu/33997.html - 12k - Cached - Similar pages

You get the idea.

Me