Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > Doubt with char* and char[]

Doubt with char* and char[]

Richard Heathfield

Darko said:

<snip>

> C99, C99, Don't cast, Don't cast, Don't cast, Don't cast, sizeof char
> <=> 1, sizeof char <=> 1, sizeof char <=> 1, sizeof char <=> 1, sizeof
> char <=> 1, .............

And *still* people ignore the advice. Incredible, isn't it?

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Christopher Benson-Manica

Darko <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> (I said, context restored

>> That would be malloc(l).

> Unbelievable how many people don't read other people's postings in the
> (snip)

My first inclination is to wonder exactly how your response follows
from mine (unless my newsreader incorrectly threaded your post), but
since you neglected to include any context in your post, it isn't
clear exactly what you were replying to.

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
Darko <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Unbelievable how many people don't read other people's postings in the
>same thread. In this thread, I think 90% of information is
>unnecessarily repeated from the posting just above that one. C99, C99,
>C99, C99, Don't cast, Don't cast, Don't cast, Don't cast, sizeof char
><=> 1, sizeof char <=> 1, sizeof char <=> 1, sizeof char <=> 1, sizeof
>char <=> 1, .............

Timestamps from the first four replies, in CDT (Central Daylight Time):

13:42:20 13:45:13 13:54:29 13:54:33 (yes, only 4 seconds later.)

The latter of those was a longer response, written by me -- so it
was in preparation starting even before that first timestamp, 13:42:20 .

After the initial burst of responses, there was another several hours
later, something like 21:12; it did repeat a couple of points,
but also made a couple of new points.

Chris Dollin

Darko wrote:

> Unbelievable how many people don't read other people's postings in the
> same thread. In this thread, I think 90% of information is
> unnecessarily repeated from the posting just above that one. C99, C99,
> C99, C99, Don't cast, Don't cast, Don't cast, Don't cast, sizeof char
> <=> 1, sizeof char <=> 1, sizeof char <=> 1, sizeof char <=> 1, sizeof

The price of no duplicate answers is no answers at all.

--
"Go not to the Drazi for counsel, Unsaid /Babylon 5/
for they will answer both 'green' and 'purple'."

Hewlett-Packard Limited registered no: