Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Barb's 2005 Article - Wireless Setup

Barb's 2005 Article - Wireless Setup

=?Utf-8?B?bXJpY2g=?=

Barb, I read your article with much interest. It talked about the DI-624S and
DNS-G120 and how easy it was to set them up. Question - As the article was
written in 2005, has D-Link upgraded or replaced these hardware items? I see
I can still buy them but are they the best today?

Barb Bowman

D-Link hasn't yet released updated devices to replace these (but
they are certainly starting to release Draft N gear on a regular
basis). Are you looking to use some existing (external) USB hard
drives you already own wirelessly? If yes, do you already have a
wireless router? If you already have a wireless G router, I'd
probably go the route of the DNS-G120.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

=?Utf-8?B?bXJpY2g=?=

I currently have a Linksys wireless router (WRT54GS) and I'm having trouble
setting it up - that's why your article caught my eye. The other hardware I
have are two Linksys Compact Wireless -G USB Adapters. My problem - when my
grandkids visit I set up computers for each (2 - 3 plus my personal one and
I'm tired of running wires all over the place. Also, I plan on getting a
laptop. What is your recommended solution so all these computers are
connected to the Internet at the same time. I have Comcast cable.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> D-Link hasn't yet released updated devices to replace these (but
> they are certainly starting to release Draft N gear on a regular
> basis). Are you looking to use some existing (external) USB hard
> drives you already own wirelessly? If yes, do you already have a
> wireless router? If you already have a wireless G router, I'd
> probably go the route of the DNS-G120.
>
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 10:40:02 -0700, mrich
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Barb, I read your article with much interest. It talked about the DI-624S and
> >DNS-G120 and how easy it was to set them up. Question - As the article was
> >written in 2005, has D-Link upgraded or replaced these hardware items? I see
> >I can still buy them but are they the best today?

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

would you like to try to resolve issues setting up your existing
equipment before buying all new equipment?

It sounds like you should setup the router for G (and not G
speedbooster) --

As for the computers, what operating system is on the 2-3 that you
setup with the compact wireless G adapters?

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 05:57:01 -0700, mrich
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I currently have a Linksys wireless router (WRT54GS) and I'm having trouble
>setting it up - that's why your article caught my eye. The other hardware I
>have are two Linksys Compact Wireless -G USB Adapters. My problem - when my
>grandkids visit I set up computers for each (2 - 3 plus my personal one and
>I'm tired of running wires all over the place. Also, I plan on getting a
>laptop. What is your recommended solution so all these computers are
>connected to the Internet at the same time. I have Comcast cable.
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> D-Link hasn't yet released updated devices to replace these (but
>> they are certainly starting to release Draft N gear on a regular
>> basis). Are you looking to use some existing (external) USB hard
>> drives you already own wirelessly? If yes, do you already have a
>> wireless router? If you already have a wireless G router, I'd
>> probably go the route of the DNS-G120.
>>
>> On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 10:40:02 -0700, mrich
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Barb, I read your article with much interest. It talked about the DI-624S and
>> >DNS-G120 and how easy it was to set them up. Question - As the article was
>> >written in 2005, has D-Link upgraded or replaced these hardware items? I see
>> >I can still buy them but are they the best today?

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP
>> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

=?Utf-8?B?bXJpY2g=?=

I can go either way - existing or new - whatever is easy.

My computer (Gateway, XP PRO) is hardwired. The other computers are Dell
433's (got them for nothing) and they each have XP Home. I increased the RAM
to 512. Currently I can get one at a time connected (good signal) but no
connection when more then one.

I don't know how to set the router up for G and not G speedbooster.

As you can tell, I'm just getting into wireless and have a lot to learn.

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> would you like to try to resolve issues setting up your existing
> equipment before buying all new equipment?
>
> It sounds like you should setup the router for G (and not G
> speedbooster) --
>
> As for the computers, what operating system is on the 2-3 that you
> setup with the compact wireless G adapters?
>

> On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 05:57:01 -0700, mrich
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I currently have a Linksys wireless router (WRT54GS) and I'm having trouble
> >setting it up - that's why your article caught my eye. The other hardware I
> >have are two Linksys Compact Wireless -G USB Adapters. My problem - when my
> >grandkids visit I set up computers for each (2 - 3 plus my personal one and
> >I'm tired of running wires all over the place. Also, I plan on getting a
> >laptop. What is your recommended solution so all these computers are
> >connected to the Internet at the same time. I have Comcast cable.
> >
> >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
> >
> >> D-Link hasn't yet released updated devices to replace these (but
> >> they are certainly starting to release Draft N gear on a regular
> >> basis). Are you looking to use some existing (external) USB hard
> >> drives you already own wirelessly? If yes, do you already have a
> >> wireless router? If you already have a wireless G router, I'd
> >> probably go the route of the DNS-G120.

> >> --
> >>
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> MS Windows-MVP
> >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
> >>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

Dell made several computers that had 433 in the model name. Any idea
of what the full model name is?

Let's forget about the g versus speedbooster for now. We can come
back to it.

By the way, can you tell me the brand and model modem you received
from Comcast?

First, power cycle the WRT54GS by unplugging the power cord and
plugging it back in again. Wait 60 seconds.

Verify you connect the wired desktop to a port on the Linksys
WRT54GS and the Linksys is connected to a cable modem via Ethernet.
With only this computer you have Internet connectivity, correct?

OK, so leaving the wired computer connected and working, you plug
one of the USB adapters into one of the 433's and both can surf,
correct?

You plug in the second adapter to the other 433 and it cannot surf,
but the desktop is still connected and can surf and so can the first
433, correct?

On the computer that cannot surf,
Start menu
run
cmd [enter]

type in the words

ipconfig /all [enter]

click the upper left corner and select all the text and then copy it
and paste into a notepad file. leave the cmd window up and running

shut down the first 433 (not the one that has no connection)

in the open cmd window type in

ipconfig /release [enter]

wait until it finishes (seconds) and then type in

ipconfg /renew [enter]

can you connect now?

let's see where we get from here..

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 12:17:01 -0700, mrich
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I can go either way - existing or new - whatever is easy.
>
>My computer (Gateway, XP PRO) is hardwired. The other computers are Dell
>433's (got them for nothing) and they each have XP Home. I increased the RAM
>to 512. Currently I can get one at a time connected (good signal) but no
>connection when more then one.
>
>I don't know how to set the router up for G and not G speedbooster.
>
>As you can tell, I'm just getting into wireless and have a lot to learn.
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> would you like to try to resolve issues setting up your existing
>> equipment before buying all new equipment?
>>
>> It sounds like you should setup the router for G (and not G
>> speedbooster) --
>>
>> As for the computers, what operating system is on the 2-3 that you
>> setup with the compact wireless G adapters?
>>

>> On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 05:57:01 -0700, mrich
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >I currently have a Linksys wireless router (WRT54GS) and I'm having trouble
>> >setting it up - that's why your article caught my eye. The other hardware I
>> >have are two Linksys Compact Wireless -G USB Adapters. My problem - when my
>> >grandkids visit I set up computers for each (2 - 3 plus my personal one and
>> >I'm tired of running wires all over the place. Also, I plan on getting a
>> >laptop. What is your recommended solution so all these computers are
>> >connected to the Internet at the same time. I have Comcast cable.

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP
>> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist

=?Utf-8?B?bXJpY2g=?=

Thank you, I have no idea why or what was done but it worked - I have 3
computers up and surfing.

The Dell computers are Dimension L433C (I have six of them but only use 2 or
3).

The Modem is a Linksys BEFCMU10 (I turned theirs in and bought one).

All your assumption were correct and your final solution worked.

I really appreciate the time you gave my problem - Thank you

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> Dell made several computers that had 433 in the model name. Any idea
> of what the full model name is?
>
> Let's forget about the g versus speedbooster for now. We can come
> back to it.
>
> By the way, can you tell me the brand and model modem you received
> from Comcast?
>
> First, power cycle the WRT54GS by unplugging the power cord and
> plugging it back in again. Wait 60 seconds.
>
> Verify you connect the wired desktop to a port on the Linksys
> WRT54GS and the Linksys is connected to a cable modem via Ethernet.
> With only this computer you have Internet connectivity, correct?
>
> OK, so leaving the wired computer connected and working, you plug
> one of the USB adapters into one of the 433's and both can surf,
> correct?
>
> You plug in the second adapter to the other 433 and it cannot surf,
> but the desktop is still connected and can surf and so can the first
> 433, correct?
>
> On the computer that cannot surf,
> Start menu
> run
> cmd [enter]
>
> type in the words
>
> ipconfig /all [enter]
>
> click the upper left corner and select all the text and then copy it
> and paste into a notepad file. leave the cmd window up and running
>
> shut down the first 433 (not the one that has no connection)
>
> in the open cmd window type in
>
> ipconfig /release [enter]
>
> wait until it finishes (seconds) and then type in
>
> ipconfg /renew [enter]
>
> can you connect now?
>
> let's see where we get from here..
>

> On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 12:17:01 -0700, mrich
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I can go either way - existing or new - whatever is easy.
> >
> >My computer (Gateway, XP PRO) is hardwired. The other computers are Dell
> >433's (got them for nothing) and they each have XP Home. I increased the RAM
> >to 512. Currently I can get one at a time connected (good signal) but no
> >connection when more then one.
> >
> >I don't know how to set the router up for G and not G speedbooster.
> >
> >As you can tell, I'm just getting into wireless and have a lot to learn.
> >
> >"Barb Bowman" wrote:
> >
> >> would you like to try to resolve issues setting up your existing
> >> equipment before buying all new equipment?
> >>
> >> It sounds like you should setup the router for G (and not G
> >> speedbooster) --
> >>
> >> As for the computers, what operating system is on the 2-3 that you
> >> setup with the compact wireless G adapters?

> >> --
> >>
> >> Barb Bowman
> >> MS Windows-MVP
> >> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ts/bowman.mspx
> >> http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/barb/
> >>

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

Glad this resolved things.

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 16:50:01 -0700, mrich
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thank you, I have no idea why or what was done but it worked - I have 3
>computers up and surfing.
>
>The Dell computers are Dimension L433C (I have six of them but only use 2 or
>3).
>
>The Modem is a Linksys BEFCMU10 (I turned theirs in and bought one).
>
>All your assumption were correct and your final solution worked.
>
>I really appreciate the time you gave my problem - Thank you
>
>"Barb Bowman" wrote:
>
>> Dell made several computers that had 433 in the model name. Any idea
>> of what the full model name is?
>>
>> Let's forget about the g versus speedbooster for now. We can come
>> back to it.
>>
>> By the way, can you tell me the brand and model modem you received
>> from Comcast?
>>
>> First, power cycle the WRT54GS by unplugging the power cord and
>> plugging it back in again. Wait 60 seconds.
>>
>> Verify you connect the wired desktop to a port on the Linksys
>> WRT54GS and the Linksys is connected to a cable modem via Ethernet.
>> With only this computer you have Internet connectivity, correct?
>>
>> OK, so leaving the wired computer connected and working, you plug
>> one of the USB adapters into one of the 433's and both can surf,
>> correct?
>>
>> You plug in the second adapter to the other 433 and it cannot surf,
>> but the desktop is still connected and can surf and so can the first
>> 433, correct?
>>
>> On the computer that cannot surf,
>> Start menu
>> run
>> cmd [enter]
>>
>> type in the words
>>
>> ipconfig /all [enter]
>>
>> click the upper left corner and select all the text and then copy it
>> and paste into a notepad file. leave the cmd window up and running
>>
>> shut down the first 433 (not the one that has no connection)
>>
>> in the open cmd window type in
>>
>> ipconfig /release [enter]
>>
>> wait until it finishes (seconds) and then type in
>>
>> ipconfg /renew [enter]
>>
>> can you connect now?
>>
>> let's see where we get from here..
>>

>> On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 12:17:01 -0700, mrich
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >I can go either way - existing or new - whatever is easy.
>> >
>> >My computer (Gateway, XP PRO) is hardwired. The other computers are Dell
>> >433's (got them for nothing) and they each have XP Home. I increased the RAM
>> >to 512. Currently I can get one at a time connected (good signal) but no
>> >connection when more then one.
>> >
>> >I don't know how to set the router up for G and not G speedbooster.
>> >
>> >As you can tell, I'm just getting into wireless and have a lot to learn.

>> --
>>
>> Barb Bowman
>> MS Windows-MVP
>> Expert Zone & Vista Community Columnist