Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Where to begin?

Where to begin?

=?Utf-8?B?Y2M=?=

I am older and am contemplating a career change in a couple of years, I
do not work in IT. Actually I am considering starting a computer business,
just repairs and networking.
I have an A+ Certification, I found it fairly easy, I did a little brush
up reading and just took the test. I passed. My hobby has been computers for
a very long time. Back to the Commodore 64.
The MCSE seems the way to go for me at this point if I am going to
implement my plan.
I am considering this self study course, I can take my time I am not in
a rush:
MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit: Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Core
Requirements, Exams 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294
by Dan Holme (Author), Orin Thomas (Author), Zacler. Craig, J.C. MacKin, Ian
McLean, Microsoft Corporation
Does this appear to be a logical way to go. Any suggestions would be
greatly appreciated.
Thank you;
Charlie

Argus

I would sugest using more then just the MS press books
e.g. syngress

catwalker63

"Argus" <(E-Mail Removed)> prattled ceaslessly in
news:98c401c4d21b$b5c89d30$(E-Mail Removed):

> I would sugest using more then just the MS press books
> e.g. syngress

or Sybex. You'll need some computers to practice on as well.

--
Catwalker
aka Pu$$y Feet

"I'm not bossy! I just know what you should be doing!"

>I am considering starting a computer business,
>just repairs and networking.

Nothing wrong with that, so long as you don't expect to make any money
out of it and don't expect the banks (or venture capital blood
suckers) to put up money to back you.

You only have to look the free ads section to see how many people are
[trying] doing this already.

>The MCSE seems the way to go for me at this point if I am going to
>implement my plan.

The problem here is the old chicken and egg situation; little chance
of a job (or establishing a client base) with no real world experience
, no real world experience without a job (or a client base). In other
words, an MCSE will not be of great value to you under your current
circumstances.

>MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit: Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Core
>Requirements, Exams 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294
>by Dan Holme (Author), Orin Thomas (Author), Zacler. Craig, J.C. MacKin, Ian
>McLean, Microsoft Corporation

I never found ms press 'training' books to be any good, maybe they've
changed since the last time I got hold of one. Best to do a search on
amazon and the other book sites for reviews, but even then take the
reviews with a pinch of salt.

Anyway, good luck anyway - btw I liked the C64 & C128.

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

Argus

true, good thinking Catwalker

Consultant

i hear there is a niche market for senior strippers. just a thought

"cc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am older and am contemplating a career change in a couple of years,
> do not work in IT. Actually I am considering starting a computer business,
> just repairs and networking.
> I have an A+ Certification, I found it fairly easy, I did a little
> brush
> up reading and just took the test. I passed. My hobby has been computers
> for
> a very long time. Back to the Commodore 64.
> The MCSE seems the way to go for me at this point if I am going to
> implement my plan.
> I am considering this self study course, I can take my time I am not in
> a rush:
> MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit: Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Core
> Requirements, Exams 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294
> by Dan Holme (Author), Orin Thomas (Author), Zacler. Craig, J.C. MacKin,
> Ian
> McLean, Microsoft Corporation
> Does this appear to be a logical way to go. Any suggestions would be
> greatly appreciated.
> Thank you;
> Charlie

Consultant

whats that sonny, whats a computer

news:Xns95AB27FA8861Acatwalker63athotmail@216.196. 97.136...
> "Argus" <(E-Mail Removed)> prattled ceaslessly in
> news:98c401c4d21b$b5c89d30$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I would sugest using more then just the MS press books
>> e.g. syngress
>>

> or Sybex. You'll need some computers to practice on as well.
>
> --
> Catwalker
> aka Pu$$y Feet
> BS, MCP
> MCNGP #43
>
> "I'm not bossy! I just know what you should be doing!"

>i hear there is a niche market for senior strippers. just a thought

how much an hour?

Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

Ken Briscoe

In news(E-Mail Removed),
The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere <.> rambled:

>> i hear there is a niche market for senior strippers. just a thought

> how much an hour?

They're free. We just gotta get Nerd to abduct them at gunpoint.

--

KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

Briscobar AT gmail DOT com

=?Utf-8?B?Um9uYXRob3NwaWNl?=

I was 52 when I decided on my third and final career....I set up a home
network with server and 3 workstations. Used the IDG book Windows 2000 MCSE
study system by Alan R. Carter, as well as on the job experience(happened to
luck in to working for a reseller that specializes in networking solutions).
I self studied the entire curriculum and finished NT4.0 MCSE in 1997 and
upgraded to W2K MCSE in 2001. Am now MIS for a medium sized company with a
W2K3 domain, 5 servers, 150 clients, three locations. It's NEVER too late!
And yes, I make a darned decent salary too. If you learn your stuff and can
demonstrate your proficiency on the firing line, you too can get a GOOD job
in IT. Too many Lusers get a paper cert and expect the IT world to hand them
a good paying job on a platter.