Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > NBT Part III or Please don't make fun of me.

NBT Part III or Please don't make fun of me.

kpg

After several months I have slowly come to accept the
fact that I was going insane. It's the kind of insanity
that occurs when you and you alone know what the
Benevolent Aliens mean by 'Serving Man', but no one
will listen.

For months now I have been battling 'disappearing'
NetBios names. It all started with the 98 boxes, but
then I got really alarmed when it spread to the XP
boxes too. All I could do was create LMHost files
and hard code IP addresses.

That little blue box called a Linksys router, was acting
as the DHCP server (as I had planned all along) but
many months ago, I, for reasons unknown to me now,
set the IP lease time to 6 months! (259200 minutes to
be exact). As a direct result of that ill-fated decision
the DHCP server, alas, ran out of IP addresses.

So what did I do? No realizing at the time why I was
running out of IP addresses, I increased the number of
available address from 50 to 100! (actually I blamed
the stupid router) But then I found a machine with an
IP address of 192.168.1.197 that could not see the
network. Confused, because IP address really **** me
off, I lowered the range to 75 and performed a /release
/renew. It worked.

For a while.

Then in a moment of clarity, inspired when three machines
that I had previously 'fixed' refused to see the network and
were being assigned private IP addresses, I had an epiphany.

After careful inspection I noticed the 6 month lease time
and I set it back to the default 24 hours, did a /release
/renew on all computers and that solved all my problems.
Well, not all my problems, but this whole NetBios
/IPAddress thing anyway.

I still don't know what NetBios over TCP, running out
of IP addresses, Master Browsers and valid IP
address not seeing the network have to do with one
another, but it all works now, so I will stop trying to
understand it.

kp 'there is a moral in there somewhere' g

Ken Briscoe

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
kpg <(E-Mail Removed)> rambled:

> but it all works now, so I will stop trying to understand it.

This, my friends, is what IT is all about.

--

KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

Briscobar AT gmail DOT com

Neil

incase you missed it "kpg" <(E-Mail Removed)> said in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I still don't know what NetBios over TCP, running out
> of IP addresses, Master Browsers and valid IP
> address not seeing the network have to do with one
> another, but it all works now, so I will stop trying to
> understand it.

your training is complete...

--
Neil MCNGP #30

Doug Adams

nerd32768

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

i'm dealing with the same thing, except i'm having problems with novell,
which is stupid, worthless, unstable, and pointless. The 'professional'
computer guy at my school quit, and i was his assistant, so now i am the
head IT person at my school.

nerd'wtf'32768

kpg

"nerd32768" <nerd{nospam}(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:>
> The 'professional'
> computer guy at my school quit, and i was his assistant, so now i am the
> head IT person at my school.

Cool. Ask for Compensation.

kpg

=?Windows-1252?Q?Frisbee=AE?=

nerd32768 wrote:
> "kpg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> i'm dealing with the same thing, except i'm having problems with
> novell, which is stupid, worthless, unstable, and pointless. The
> 'professional' computer guy at my school quit, and i was his
> assistant, so now i am the head IT person at my school.
>
> nerd'wtf'32768

That's gonna look really good on a resume. 13-year-old head of IT.

Ken Briscoe

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
FrisbeeŽ <(E-Mail Removed)> rambled:

> nerd32768 wrote:
>> "kpg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> i'm dealing with the same thing, except i'm having problems with
>> novell, which is stupid, worthless, unstable, and pointless. The
>> 'professional' computer guy at my school quit, and i was his
>> assistant, so now i am the head IT person at my school.
>>
>> nerd'wtf'32768

> That's gonna look really good on a resume. 13-year-old head of IT.

I'm gonna go shuffle on back into my hole now. I'm feeling kinda inadequate
and underacheiving today.

Thanks Nerd. Really.

--

KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26

Briscobar AT gmail DOT com

Neil

did you hear "nerd32768" <nerd{nospam}(E-Mail Removed)> say in news:
#(E-Mail Removed):

> i am the
> head IT person at my school.

You've peaked WAAAAAAAYYYYY too early....

--
Neil MCNGP #30

Doug Adams

nerd32768

> > That's gonna look really good on a resume. 13-year-old head of IT.
>
> I'm gonna go shuffle on back into my hole now. I'm feeling kinda

inadequate
> and underacheiving today.
>
> Thanks Nerd. Really.
>
> --
>
> KB - MCNGP "silent thug" #26
>
> Briscobar AT gmail DOT com

unfortunately, the AP still has to order everything and approve spending,
and i don't get to be anyone's boss, I'm the only IT person. some things are
pathetic. there are 1800 people at my school, and i am in charge of ALL the
computers/terminals(but not the servers ). As soon as i work for a
little bit longer, i am hoping for pay and access to the servers, but that
hasn't happened yet.

Nerd"what's that teacher's password?"32768

kpg

> Nerd"what's that teacher's password?"32768

Geez. Here I am the ASM programmer and after all
this time I just figured out the significance of 32768.

The ginkgo is helping.

kp "now if I only knew what jtyc stood for..." g

3 PIX VPN questions - FUN FUN FUN frishack@gmail.com Cisco 3 03-16-2006 02:25 PM
NBT woes kpg MCSE 5 11-14-2004 12:48 AM
Nikon Coolscan III vs Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III Patrick B Cox Digital Photography 17 03-02-2004 07:15 PM
Fun fun fun Luke Computer Support 3 10-07-2003 03:45 PM

Advertisments