Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C Programming > PLEASE HELP ME ! PLEASE

PLEASE HELP ME ! PLEASE

Chris Hills

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Chris Hills <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>>Is this a new record?

>> No
>>
>>>14 posts.
>>>9 of them are discourteous warnings about posting style, homework and
>>>things being off topic.

>> What has happened is we are getting far more posts of the "PLS DO MY
>> HOMEWORK URGENT" type.

>The why dont "we" agree that only ONE reply is enough. Why is there the
>constant feeding frenzy. Leave it alone to see if someone else replies
>or ignore it.

Then please don't post. Leave it to the others.

Also you will find that most of us regard anyone who ignores netiquette
and starts off inappropriately is fair game.

As you point out there is a "constant feeding ferenzy" so anyone with
any intelligence who looks around the NG before positing should know
not to post homework questions...

The problem is it has got a LOT worse over the last 2-3 years. It is
getting like spam.

They don't research either the problem or the NG they are posting to.
They are fair game on a quiet afternoon. If you don't like the way this
NG works go somewhere else.

/\/\/ http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

Richard Heathfield

Martin Ambuhl said:

> Guru Jois wrote:
>
>> a^=b^=a; // could be still better than 3 statements.

> No, it is horrid. The OP poster asked about swapping two number
> [sic].
> The '^' operator requires operands of an integer type. And that's
> not
> all that's wrong with it. This question has been beaten to death
> before. If you really are committed to the silly XOR trick, check the
> FAQ and the newsgroup archives to find out why you shouldn't be. You
> might also find out why, even when the silly XOR trick works, writing
> it as a single statement is a bad idea.

And if he must do this really stupid thing, he ought at least to do this
really stupid thing properly. The above is broken in more than the
usual number of ways.

Martin, I note from your reply and from another in this thread that both
Umesh and Guru Jois have started dispensing idiotic C advice. I guess
it's time for them to come *out* of my killfile. Things have come to a
pretty pass when one actually feels obliged to unplonk people for being
even more stupid than normal.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

Richard Heathfield

Richard said:

<snip>

> The why dont "we" agree that only ONE reply is enough.

Didn't you hear? Usenet's gone all asynchronous.

> Why is there the constant feeding frenzy.

What makes you think any one person who replies has seen any of the
other replies? Maybe you get to see them as they come in - maybe you
have a great newsfeed - but not everyone is that lucky.

> Leave it alone to see if someone else replies or ignore it.

Why should we pay you the slightest bit of attention? I don't recall
seeing you giving any C help whatsoever, and if you do give any that
I've missed, it's completely swamped out by your constant whining. Give
it a rest, or balance it with some clueful help.

--
Richard Heathfield
"Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999
http://www.cpax.org.uk
email: rjh at the above domain, - www.

Chris Dollin

Guru Jois wrote:

> On Jun 5, 1:17 am, Umesh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> //swapping
>>
>> #include"stdio.h"
>> int main()
>> {
>> int a,b;
>> printf("Enter values of a & b : ");
>> scanf("%d%d",&a,&b);
>> a=a+b; //if a=4,b=2 now a=a+b=6
>> b=a-b; //now b=a-b=6-2=4
>> a=a-b;//now a=6-4=2
>> printf("After swapping\n a=%d \t b=%d",a,b);
>> return 0;
>>
>> }

> a^=b^=a; // could be still better than 3 statements.

The statements above smell of undefined behaviour; your replacement
is doomed to it.

--
The shortcuts are all full of people using them.

Hewlett-Packard Limited registered no:

Chris Hills

In article <f43ls7$6og$(E-Mail Removed)>, Chris Dollin
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Guru Jois wrote:
>
>> On Jun 5, 1:17 am, Umesh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> //swapping
>>>
>>> #include"stdio.h"
>>> int main()
>>> {
>>> int a,b;
>>> printf("Enter values of a & b : ");
>>> scanf("%d%d",&a,&b);
>>> a=a+b; //if a=4,b=2 now a=a+b=6
>>> b=a-b; //now b=a-b=6-2=4
>>> a=a-b;//now a=6-4=2
>>> printf("After swapping\n a=%d \t b=%d",a,b);
>>> return 0;
>>>
>>> }

>> a^=b^=a; // could be still better than 3 statements.

>The statements above smell of undefined behaviour; your replacement
>is doomed to it.

"Solutions" on here usually require more work from the student than the
original homework task.

/\/\/ (E-Mail Removed) www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

borkhuis@gmail.com

On Jun 5, 2:21 pm, Chris Hills <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> The problem is it has got a LOT worse over the last 2-3 years. It is
> getting like spam.
>
> They don't research either the problem or the NG they are posting to.
> They are fair game on a quiet afternoon. If you don't like the way this
> NG works go somewhere else.

Why not create a NG comp.lang.c.homework? We can point the posters to
this newsgroups (and hopefully get rid of them) and maybe some of them
will post there directly, and people who like to show off can post
solutions in there. The best would be that those "students" start
helping each other out (I know, the chance of this happening are
almost NULL).

Others (who don't like these threads) can just ignore this group (or
link it to /dev/null).

Kind regards,
Johan

Chris Hills

In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
(E-Mail Removed) writes
>On Jun 5, 2:21 pm, Chris Hills <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> The problem is it has got a LOT worse over the last 2-3 years. It is
>> getting like spam.
>>
>> They don't research either the problem or the NG they are posting to.
>> They are fair game on a quiet afternoon. If you don't like the way this
>> NG works go somewhere else.

>Why not create a NG comp.lang.c.homework?

Go on then.

/\/\/ (E-Mail Removed) www.phaedsys.org \/\/\

Richard

> Richard said:
>
> <snip>
>
>> The why dont "we" agree that only ONE reply is enough.

> Didn't you hear? Usenet's gone all asynchronous.

You don't say. Then assume that and dont bother posting yet another
reproach assuming (certainly for sure) that someone else will have
beaten you to the punch.

>> Why is there the constant feeding frenzy.

> What makes you think any one person who replies has seen any of the
> other replies? Maybe you get to see them as they come in - maybe you
> have a great newsfeed - but not everyone is that lucky.
>
>> Leave it alone to see if someone else replies or ignore it.

> Why should we pay you the slightest bit of attention? I don't recall

Because, smartypants, maybe I am following the threads to see the
*answer* to the question too? And am sick to death of reading repeated
"off topic" "no homework done here" "wrong platform" "we dont help
people who dont speak english" etc etc etc - time, after time after
time. I await with glee the answer "then we dont need to help you go
somewhere else".

> seeing you giving any C help whatsoever, and if you do give any that

I recall you preening and strutting a lot. I have also given help here -
just not recently and not necessarily from this account. Although what
that has to do with you I don't know. Even assuming a lack of posts, I
fail to see what that has to do with polluting the threads with
*repeated* warning on language, homework and topicality. I am well aware
that you think you are deserving of hero worship because of your
longevity and I also admit you are very knowledgeable - when it suits
you. It strikes me that you in particular are more interested in
swamping the nOOb and proving how clever you are rather than actually
walking a nOOb through the parts which can give them a springboard onto
further understanding.

> I've missed, it's completely swamped out by your constant whining. Give
> it a rest, or balance it with some clueful help.

You're a twit.

Richard

Chris Hills <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>Chris Hills <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>
>>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> writes

>>> No

>>> What has happened is we are getting far more posts of the "PLS DO MY
>>> HOMEWORK URGENT" type.

>>The why dont "we" agree that only ONE reply is enough. Why is there the
>>constant feeding frenzy. Leave it alone to see if someone else replies
>>or ignore it.

> Then please don't post. Leave it to the others.

I'm not sure that makes sense when I am suggesting people IGNORE posts
they deem unsuitable - they can leave the reply to people who might be
able to constructively help.

It is no joke reading a thread to find 9 pompous rejoinders and only one
reply of substance. The point about "asynchronous" is about as valid as
saying we all use 386s. Sure, for some it might be ... very, very few.

> Also you will find that most of us regard anyone who ignores
> netiquette and starts off inappropriately is fair game.

No, its not most. Its a loud minority. I see a lot of regulars who do
reply with pointers and suggestions despite the "shove off" replies from
the loud minority.

> As you point out there is a "constant feeding ferenzy" so anyone with
> any intelligence who looks around the NG before positing should know
> not to post homework questions...
>
> The problem is it has got a LOT worse over the last 2-3 years. It is
> getting like spam.

I would suggest it is just that - people pulling strings to see the
regulars dance.

> They don't research either the problem or the NG they are posting
> to. They are fair game on a quiet afternoon. If you don't like the
> way this NG works go somewhere else.

No. Because this NG can help people regardless of the petty jobs worths
who patrol the corridoors. No other NG that I am aware of has the same
level of "feeding frenzy". I find it dispiriting and inappropriate that
skilled qualified people like yourselves should deem it appropriate
behaviour in a public help news group.

I know I'm not the first to mention this and am sure I wont be the last.

I am also equally sure that the loud minority are so full of themselves
that this plea is akin to trying to squeeze blood from a stone.

Chris Hills

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Richard Heathfield <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> Richard said:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>>> The why dont "we" agree that only ONE reply is enough.

>> Didn't you hear? Usenet's gone all asynchronous.

>You don't say. Then assume that and dont bother posting yet another
>reproach assuming (certainly for sure) that someone else will have
>beaten you to the punch.

He keeps going on: saying we shouldn't post.....

>>> Why is there the constant feeding frenzy.

>> What makes you think any one person who replies has seen any of the
>> other replies? Maybe you get to see them as they come in - maybe you
>> have a great newsfeed - but not everyone is that lucky.
>>
>>> Leave it alone to see if someone else replies or ignore it.

>> Why should we pay you the slightest bit of attention? I don't recall

>Because, smartypants, maybe I am following the threads to see the
>*answer* to the question too?

So are the rest of us and when no one else replies we do so that there
is at least one answer...

> And am sick to death of reading repeated
>"off topic"

That I agree with.

> "no homework done here"

No that one needs to be put up in lights... In fact I think it is in the
FAQ's and I know my notes on a "model home work question" that has been
posted here several times made it onto a couple of FAQ's and the like.

If you trample over the rules of the club you will be treated
accordingly.

This is not an NG for homework. However people will try to help anyone
who has made an effort.

If any of the "homework" posters had even bothered to look at the NG
before posting would have discovered what not to do.

> "wrong platform" "we dont help
>people who dont speak english" etc etc etc - time, after time after
>time. I await with glee the answer "then we dont need to help you go
>somewhere else".

The vast majority on here only read/write English. There is nothing
wrong with posting in Spanish, latin German, French or American but it
will limit the number of people who can read, let alone understand the
question.

>> seeing you giving any C help whatsoever, and if you do give any that

>I recall you preening and strutting a lot. I have also given help here -
>just not recently and not necessarily from this account.

Actually he does help a lot. .

>> I've missed, it's completely swamped out by your constant whining. Give
>> it a rest, or balance it with some clueful help.

>You're a twit.

Can we have a vote on that?

/\/\/ (E-Mail Removed) www.phaedsys.org \/\/\