Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Problem in Table Width

Problem in Table Width

Rakesh Thakor

Hi all,
I want to scroll a dynamic table inside div. My code is as below,
************************************************** ************************************************** ******
<head>
charset=iso-8859-1" />
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<!--
body {
margin-left: 0px;
margin-top: 0px;
margin-right: 0px;
margin-bottom: 0px;
}
table {
border:#FF0000;
table-layout:auto;
width:auto;
}
div {
width:#px;
overflow:scroll;
}
-->

************************************************** ************************************************** ************
Can anyone guide me that where is the problem?

Regards,
Rakesh

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit Rakesh Thakor:

> I want to scroll a dynamic table inside div. My code is as below,

Post the URL, not code. Read the group for a week to understand why.

Thank you for the bogosity warning.

> <!--

More bogosity. Which browsers are you targeting? Netscape 1? And have you
any idea of what XHTML user agents are allowed to do with comments inside
style elements?

> width:#px;

Huh?

Bogosity overflow.

> Can anyone guide me that where is the problem?

In your design of a page. It simply makes no sense.

Why would you make a table scrollable when it is the sole content of a div
that is the sole content of the document? By doing exactly nothing for it,
you get scroll bars for the page if needed.

--
Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Rakesh Thakor

On Jun 5, 1:40 pm, "Jukka K. Korpela" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Scripsit Rakesh Thakor:
>
> > I want to scroll a dynamic table inside div. My code is as below,

> Post the URL, not code. Read the group for a week to understand why.

> Thank you for the bogosity warning.

> > <!--

> More bogosity. Which browsers are you targeting? Netscape 1? And have you
> any idea of what XHTML user agents are allowed to do with comments inside
> style elements?
>
> > width:#px;

> Huh?

> Bogosity overflow.
>
> > Can anyone guide me that where is the problem?

> In your design of a page. It simply makes no sense.
>
> Why would you make a table scrollable when it is the sole content of a div
> that is the sole content of the document? By doing exactly nothing for it,
> you get scroll bars for the page if needed.
>
> --
> Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

Hi Jukka,
I am creating one dynamic application actully Table is divide into
multiple column and those column will come from database so i do not
know that how many column will add by user so its dynamic table thats
why i require horizontal scrollbar.

CSS Comment is by mistake i think.

I am approaching IE 6+ browser.

Your Idea/Suggestion are most welcome.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
RK

rf

"Rakesh Thakor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi all,
> I want to scroll a dynamic table inside div.

A, er, dynamic table?

> My code is as below,

Don't post code. Post a URL.

> ************************************************** ************************************************** ******
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://
> www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

Use strict for new documents. and HTML 4.01 as well.

> <title>Untitled Document</title>

What generated this?

> <!--

<!-- has not been needed since last century.

> border:#FF0000;

You forgot border-style: border: solid 1px $f00;

> table-layout:auto;

table-layout?

> div {
> width:#px;

How many pixels? #? Ah, yes, a "number" of them

> -->

See above.

If you are going to use CSS then put ALL the presentational stuff in CSS.

width='1900'

px is for CSS, not for presentational stuff in [X]HTML.

> Can anyone guide me that where is the problem?

Probably the validator over at http://validator.w3.org/ - it would have
solved your problems. Well, many of them

However, this does not look like tabular data to me.

--
Richard.

Dan

On Jun 5, 5:14 am, Rakesh Thakor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am creating one dynamic application actully Table is divide into
> multiple column and those column will come from database so i do not
> know that how many column will add by user so its dynamic table thats
> why i require horizontal scrollbar.

....which the browser will provide all by itself if you don't interfere
with its normal operation. By the way, what's the deal with the 1900-
pixel-wide columns? Do you expect your users to have 10,000-pixel-
wide monitors?

> I am approaching IE 6+ browser.

Whenever an IE browser (any version) approaches, I run really fast
away from it.

Maybe some of your users will approach your site with a better
browser, such as Firefox, SeaMonkey, Opera, or Safari.

--
Dan

asdf

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Jun 5, 5:14 am, Rakesh Thakor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I am creating one dynamic application actully Table is divide into
>> multiple column and those column will come from database so i do not
>> know that how many column will add by user so its dynamic table thats
>> why i require horizontal scrollbar.

> ...which the browser will provide all by itself if you don't interfere
> with its normal operation. By the way, what's the deal with the 1900-
> pixel-wide columns? Do you expect your users to have 10,000-pixel-
> wide monitors?
>
>> I am approaching IE 6+ browser.

> Whenever an IE browser (any version) approaches, I run really fast
> away from it.

[snip]

Me too, but the reality is that most web browsing is still done with IE. No
choice... you *have* to at least make pages usable/readable in IE, sadly,
unless you have the luxury of a non-commercial project where the client
doesn't care if it works for most people or not.

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "asdf" <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:46662a61$0$22460$(E-Mail Removed):

> Me too, but the reality is that most web browsing is still done with
> IE. No choice... you *have* to at least make pages usable/readable in
> IE, sadly, unless you have the luxury of a non-commercial project
> where the client doesn't care if it works for most people or not.

I am beginning to see liqht at the end of the tunnel, there is hope. Mind
you, it's a small web site <http://www.realtybenefitsystems.com/>, whose
users are coming from Craig's list looking at apartments for rent - but the
stats for May were 65% IE, 15% Firefox, 15% Safari, and 5% other. These
are real numbers (not something out of a "web stats" script) from page
views, not hits.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

asdf

"Adrienne Boswell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9946D9699FED1arbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121. ..
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "asdf" <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
> news:46662a61$0$22460$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Me too, but the reality is that most web browsing is still done with
>> IE. No choice... you *have* to at least make pages usable/readable in
>> IE, sadly, unless you have the luxury of a non-commercial project
>> where the client doesn't care if it works for most people or not.
>>

> I am beginning to see liqht at the end of the tunnel, there is hope. Mind
> you, it's a small web site <http://www.realtybenefitsystems.com/>, whose
> users are coming from Craig's list looking at apartments for rent - but
> the
> stats for May were 65% IE, 15% Firefox, 15% Safari, and 5% other. These
> are real numbers (not something out of a "web stats" script) from page
> views, not hits.

Yup, and even with those (may I suggest) conservative numbers, 65% is still
"most". ...sadly.

dorayme

In article <Xns9946D9699FED1arbpenyahoocom@69.28.186.121>,
Adrienne Boswell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "asdf" <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
> news:46662a61$0$22460$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Me too, but the reality is that most web browsing is still done with
> > IE. No choice... you *have* to at least make pages usable/readable in
> > IE, sadly, unless you have the luxury of a non-commercial project
> > where the client doesn't care if it works for most people or not.
> >

> I am beginning to see liqht at the end of the tunnel, there is hope. Mind
> you, it's a small web site <http://www.realtybenefitsystems.com/>, whose
> users are coming from Craig's list looking at apartments for rent - but the
> stats for May were 65% IE, 15% Firefox, 15% Safari, and 5% other. These
> are real numbers (not something out of a "web stats" script) from page
> views, not hits.

15% Safari? I am starting to feel less like I am in an exclusive
club now. I do not know if this is good or bad. Who knows how to
deal with such existential questions? Not me.

--
dorayme

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed dorayme
<(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>> stats for May were 65% IE, 15% Firefox, 15% Safari, and 5% other.
>> These are real numbers (not something out of a "web stats" script)
>> from page views, not hits.

> 15% Safari? I am starting to feel less like I am in an exclusive
> club now. I do not know if this is good or bad. Who knows how to
> deal with such existential questions? Not me.

The other interesting thing about these statistics is that the properties
are in Glendale, all above Glenoaks, which is the higher priced area of
the city. Glendale is a city bordering Los Angeles, between Burbank and
Pasadena. People who work at the studios often rent in that area. I
live in the "slummy" area below Colorado, where the largest concentration
of Armenians are, and I like it a lot better because it's more European.