Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can you save just Headers

Can you save just Headers

deet@sorry.me

I have been trying to find a way to just save Headers to a file in my
Win 98SE Document File, but can't figure out how to. I can save
Messages to the Document file, but not a just a Header.

I would appreciate your advice.

TIA
--
deet

Vanguard

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have been trying to find a way to just save Headers to a file in my
> Win 98SE Document File, but can't figure out how to. I can save
> Messages to the Document file, but not a just a Header.

We're supposed to guess at why type of "documents" you are asking about?
We are not there looking over your shoulder to figure out what you
aren't telling us.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

What's in a Name?

On 6/4/2007 8:25 PM, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) after much thought,came up with this
jewel:
> I have been trying to find a way to just save Headers to a file in my
> Win 98SE Document File, but can't figure out how to. I can save
> Messages to the Document file, but not a just a Header.
>
> I would appreciate your advice.

I don't know what program you use for your mail. Look for something like
"message source".

max
--
My Pages:
Virus Removal Instructions:

deet@sorry.me

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 22:17:52 -0500, "Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>We're supposed to guess at why type of "documents" you are asking about?
>We are not there looking over your shoulder to figure out what you
>aren't telling us.
>
>http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.

The document I was referring to where my launched downloads are
automatically saved, was the My Documents file that is part of Win
98SE. The items that are saved in the My Document "Attachment"
sub-folder are the MP3 sound programs I have downloaded and launched
to see if they were worth saving If they are I click the command
"save all" and Agent 4.0 automatically sends them to "My Documents".
However, if I merely want to save the Header which describes the
message and attachment, I cannot do so. Agent says I must download
the message and save that--Headers alone can't be saved.

But I think there is probably a way to just save the Headers, if there
is a way to configure Agent to accept a save command for only headers.

I hope that explains what I am trying to do
..
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post.

--
deet

deet@sorry.me

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 22:17:52 -0500, "Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I have been trying to find a way to just save Headers to a file in my
>> Win 98SE Document File, but can't figure out how to. I can save
>> Messages to the Document file, but not a just a Header.

>We're supposed to guess at why type of "documents" you are asking about?
>We are not there looking over your shoulder to figure out what you
>aren't telling us.
>
>http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.html

Vanguard

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 22:17:52 -0500, "Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>We're supposed to guess at why type of "documents" you are asking
>>about?
>>We are not there looking over your shoulder to figure out what you
>>aren't telling us.
>>
>>http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>http://users.tpg.com.au/bzyhjr/liszt.

> The document I was referring to where my launched downloads are
> automatically saved, was the My Documents file that is part of Win
> 98SE. The items that are saved in the My Document "Attachment"
> sub-folder are the MP3 sound programs I have downloaded and launched
> to see if they were worth saving If they are I click the command
> "save all" and Agent 4.0 automatically sends them to "My Documents".
> However, if I merely want to save the Header which describes the
> message and attachment, I cannot do so. Agent says I must download
> the message and save that--Headers alone can't be saved.
>
> But I think there is probably a way to just save the Headers, if there
> is a way to configure Agent to accept a save command for only headers.
>
> I hope that explains what I am trying to do

I only trialed FreeAgent (which used to be the full Agent but degraded
to FreeAgent after something like 30 days when the trial period
expired). The FreeAgent was too crippled and (until recently) could
only handle one NNTP server at a time unless you opened multiple
instances of FreeAgent with a different config file that pointed at a
different NNTP server. Since I was also trying to find an NNTP client
that far better regular expressions for searching anywhere within a
message, Agent looked good until I realize that only in the saved
searches were they available which meant you had to manually select the
search, manually select from this list of matching items, and then
manually delete or commit whatever action you intended. Xnews was far
better for regular expressions but has defects in its GUI.

Anyway, it sounds like you have Agent configured to automatically
extract attachments from selected messages and put them into the
"Attachments" subfolder under your My Documents folders (which is
normally under your %userprofile% but can be moved elsewhere). I don't
know why you want to save the headers of the messages. Headers are the
routing information and do not describe much, if anything, about the
contents or body of the message. At most, the headers may indicate what
encoding was used within the body of the messages, like whether a
plain-text or print-quotable MIME format was used (but any attachment
within the body of the message still has its own MIME part). Then
there's yEnc with its flaky scheme of using the Subject header but
saving the "headers" of a message would only get you the Subject with
them. Agent probably support yEnc. Doesn't it save the attachment
under a filename specified in the parameter in the Subject header?
Perhaps the source that provided the post didn't pick very intelligent
naming for their attachment. Maybe Agent can use more of the Subject
header to name the file for the saved attachment.

Doesn't Agent let you save messages externally from its local message
store? Even if it does, I don't know Agent well enough to know if its
auto-extraction of any attachments means the original message gets pared
down to just retain the rest of the message (including headers) or if
the extraction creates a separate file and the message is left with its
original content (which means it still contains the attachment so, for
example, you could extract from it again later).

I didn't see a support forums page at their web site. They also did not
mention newsgroup names to get help. Disappointing that they can't
manage to provide community-based support or even point to it,
especially since they provide a freebie version that they probably won't
support themself. When looking through the newsgroups, I see some for
*agent* and *forte* so you might want to go lurking there to see which
ones are active and discuss Forte Agent for a more focused community of
users, or wait here and hope an Agent user chimes in.

Robb

Vanguard wrote:
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

<snip>

>> The document I was referring to where my launched downloads are
>> automatically saved, was the My Documents file that is part of Win
>> 98SE. The items that are saved in the My Document "Attachment"
>> sub-folder are the MP3 sound programs I have downloaded and launched
>> to see if they were worth saving If they are I click the command
>> "save all" and Agent 4.0 automatically sends them to "My Documents".
>> However, if I merely want to save the Header which describes the
>> message and attachment, I cannot do so.

Saving headers outside the newsreaders datafiles is pointless. If you're not
sub'd to 1000 newsgroups, set the days to live to 30 - 60 if you decide you're
ever going to download the stuff all you have to do is go get it. Set it to
Purge and Compact on closing, you can save all the articles in text groups for
100 years if you have the space, but why anyone would want a tarball of old
posts is beyond me. Read the massive help files, and MAXimize the read
window. Learn to drive it by keyboard to save time and pointless clicking.

<snip>
>I only trialed FreeAgent (which used to be the full Agent but degraded
>to FreeAgent after something like 30 days when the trial period
>expired). The FreeAgent was too crippled and (until recently) could
>only handle one NNTP server at a time unless you opened multiple
>instances of FreeAgent with a different config file that pointed at a
>different NNTP server. Since I was also trying to find an NNTP client
>that far better regular expressions for searching anywhere within a
>message, Agent looked good until I realize that only in the saved
>searches were they available which meant you had to manually select the
>search, manually select from this list of matching items, and then
>manually delete or commit whatever action you intended. Xnews was far
>better for regular expressions but has defects in its GUI.

FA is a POS. The full newsreader has more options than most people
will ever use. The "global search" is worth it's weight if you want to
look for things (and I'm getting out of my depth) the string 'User-Agent: pan
0.119 Karma Hunters' appears in 77 posts, 8 of those are not yours - "their"
is inside 853 articles, 17 are yours, poem is in 15, in four topics, two are
yours: "Which poem was voted the UK's favourite in 2005?", three seconds
burned.

Here's some of the (short) info in Agents help on regular expressions:

"Spam", is the cyber-term for unwanted messages of all sorts, from
"get-rich-quick" schemes to offensive or sensitive subjects. Spam infiltrates
daily without your permission, cluttering your folders and posing a potential
problem for parents who don't want their children exposed to certain types of
material. Below are several examples of expressions used to "kill" spam:

Example 1: To improve performance, you might want to combine a number
of types of spam you wish to eliminate in one filter. As other key words that
offend you pop up, you can always add them to the expression. Note that in
the example below, the vertical bars are equivalent to the operator "or".

subject: ($ | $$ | $$$* | $money* | sex* | porn*| xxx*)

Example 2: To prevent Agent from retrieving message headers that start
with odd characters such as !, $, <, -, etc. (usually spam)

subject: ={^[^a-z"].*}

Note: Regular expressions in Agent are case-insensitive unless preceded by
the % operator. So, this will not filter out subjects that start with upper
case letters, or those that start with lower case letters, or those that start
with a quotation mark. Also, this filter will match subjects such as "[Q] How
do I fix…" and "(fwd) Answers to…". So, you should use it with caution.

Red part: This "^" character says, "Match if the string is at the beginning of
a line".

Blue part: This "^" character inside the brackets "[ ]" means "not these
characters". So the expression would read "match any character that is *not*
any upper or lower case letter or quotation mark.

Example 3: Many times spam mail is not directly addressed to you, that is, it
does not have your actual address as the value in the "To:" field. Here's an
expression you can use in a kill filter that will match any message that does
NOT contain your actual address, either at your work email address or home
email address. The example below shows the address for Jane Doe at work
and at home. The "any-recipient" qualifier tells Agent to search for the
addresses in the To, Apparently-To, Cc, and Bcc fields.

not any-recipient: ((E-Mail Removed) or (E-Mail Removed))

This will work for most spam. However, you may find that your own mail system
inserts an Apparently-To field to messages that are missing a To: or Cc:
field. The "any-recipient" filter matches the Apparently-To field. If you'd
prefer to have a filter that does not match that either, try using the
following expression:

not any-recipient: ((E-Mail Removed) or (E-Mail Removed))

and not cc: ((E-Mail Removed) or (E-Mail Removed))

To filter on a particular word:

Example 1: To match anything ending in "MMF", followed by a space or the end
of the field, you can use the following expression:

{MMF( |$)}

This will match sevenMMF, or canMMF, or just MMF, but not MMFposter.
(that was teen I changed it)

<snip>
>Agent probably support yEnc. Doesn't it save the attachment
>under a filename specified in the parameter in the Subject header?
>Perhaps the source that provided the post didn't pick very intelligent
>naming for their attachment. Maybe Agent can use more of the Subject
>header to name the file for the saved attachment.

The OP needs to set Agent to save attachments automatically and "remove
attachments from the message body" after saving. These are manual settings
not out of the 'box'. Encoding is transparent, he doesn't need to do anything
(unless depending on the version) "detect yenc automatically" needs to be
selected.

>Doesn't Agent let you save messages externally from its local message
>store? Even if it does, I don't know Agent well enough to know if its
>auto-extraction of any attachments means the original message gets pared
>down to just retain the rest of the message (including headers) or if
>the extraction creates a separate file and the message is left with its
>original content (which means it still contains the attachment so, for
>example, you could extract from it again later).

No headers only - messages with bodies. Select all (or Shift + Arrow
down or up) hit File > SAVE AS - select options, file name, extention,
location, save. Import in reverse, grep as needed.

Agent keeps this after deleting a messages body that was retreived.

Subject: Re: Can you save just Headers
From: "Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 08:27:59 -0500

[Press ENTER to retrieve this message now.]
[Press M to mark this message for later retrieval.]

nntp://news.shared-secrets.com/24hoursupport.helpdesk/1057226
nntp://news.readfreenews.net/24hoursupport.helpdesk/1425109

--
Robb

Robb

>No headers only - messages with bodies. Select all (or Shift + Arrow
>down or up) hit File > SAVE AS - select options, file name, extention,
>location, save. Import in reverse, grep as needed.

Fricking Agent is futzy. Export and Import one header, the article
contained an attachment that was auto-saved then deleted. The
only useful items are the subject, xref index number and MID.

From: deleted
Sender: deleted
Newsgroups: alt...........
Subject: Some File (*/
Date: yes

[Deleted]

--
Robb

deet@sorry.me

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 08:27:59 -0500, "Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I only trialed FreeAgent (which used to be the full Agent but degraded
>to FreeAgent after something like 30 days when the trial period
>expired).

(snip}

Thanks for the info. I will try the "lurking" you suggest. I didn't
know there any other Agent newsgroups.

I don't use Agent 4 for email--I am using Eudora, but they are semi
going out-of -business for a while. You can't update the paid
version anymore, and their support is closing shop.

The reason I want to just save headers, which I know are virtually
useless, is to make copies of them for a friend. I burn audio CD's
for her, and a flood of her favorite "Bobby Darin" has just been
posted. I'll gladly download enough songs to fit a CD, but darned if
I can (or could) download over 70 songs.

I know my original post was odd, but I really had a sensible reason,
(I think) for wanting to just download headers.

Thanks for your answers.

--
deet

Mike Easter

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> The reason I want to just save headers, which I know are virtually
> useless, is to make copies of them for a friend. I burn audio CD's
> for her, and a flood of her favorite "Bobby Darin" has just been
> posted. I'll gladly download enough songs to fit a CD, but darned if
> I can (or could) download over 70 songs.
>
> I know my original post was odd, but I really had a sensible reason,
> (I think) for wanting to just download headers.

If you just wanted her to 'see' what you see on your screen when you are
looking at the headers for the Darin tunes, you could get it all
organized for appearance and print screen and send her a .gif displaying
the music subjects/titles.

If she has an .mp3 CD player, you could put all 70 songs on a single CD,
which is a very handy way to be portable with a lot of songs without
having to pack a lot of CD wallets.

--
Mike Easter