Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > text copying: email to word processor

text copying: email to word processor

Jim Beaver

I have frequent occasion to copy text from emails I receive and to paste
them into word processor documents (WordPerfect or MS Word). But I cannot
figure out a fast, simple way to eliminate the line breaks that were part of
the original email. As a result, my wp document takes up many more pages,
since lines break in the middle of the alotted space for a line. Example:

Material created in word processor:

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped
over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick
brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

Material copy/pasted from an email:

The quick brown fox jumped
over the lazy dog. The quick
brown fox jumped over the lazy
dog. The quick brown fox jumped
over the lazy dog. The quick
brown fox jumped over the lazy
dog.

(I artificially recreated the appearance, of course.)

I know I can go in and, one by one, delete line breaks. But it seems I must
be missing some faster, maybe even instant, means of losing the original
email's format and putting it into the word processor's format. What might
that means be?

Jim Beaver

WhzzKdd

"Jim Beaver" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsL%8i.10766$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>I have frequent occasion to copy text from emails I receive and to paste
>them into word processor documents (WordPerfect or MS Word). But I cannot
>figure out a fast, simple way to eliminate the line breaks that were part
>of the original email. As a result, my wp document takes up many more
>pages, since lines break in the middle of the alotted space for a line.
>Example:
>
> Material created in word processor:
>
> The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped
> over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The
> quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.
>
> Material copy/pasted from an email:
>
> The quick brown fox jumped
> over the lazy dog. The quick
> brown fox jumped over the lazy
> dog. The quick brown fox jumped
> over the lazy dog. The quick
> brown fox jumped over the lazy
> dog.
>
> (I artificially recreated the appearance, of course.)
>
> I know I can go in and, one by one, delete line breaks. But it seems I
> must be missing some faster, maybe even instant, means of losing the
> original email's format and putting it into the word processor's format.
> What might that means be?

Have a look here:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CleanWebText.htm

Or Google for "Remove line breaks from Word"

Blinky the Shark

WhzzKdd wrote:

>> The quick brown fox jumped
>> over the lazy dog. The quick
>> brown fox jumped over the lazy
>> dog. The quick brown fox jumped
>> over the lazy dog. The quick
>> brown fox jumped over the lazy
>> dog.

Jim, while I appreciate the effort, that may be the worst haiku I've
ever seen.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

WhzzKdd

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> WhzzKdd wrote:
>
>>> The quick brown fox jumped
>>> over the lazy dog. The quick
>>> brown fox jumped over the lazy
>>> dog. The quick brown fox jumped
>>> over the lazy dog. The quick
>>> brown fox jumped over the lazy
>>> dog.

> Jim, while I appreciate the effort, that may be the worst haiku I've
> ever seen.

Heh! Good point!

Speaking of points, you didn't jump into the discussion regarding Rgr's
man tits. Sharks don't have that problem?

Blinky the Shark

WhzzKdd wrote:
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>> Jim, while I appreciate the effort, that may be the worst haiku I've
>> ever seen.
>>

> Heh! Good point!
>
> Speaking of points, you didn't jump into the discussion regarding Rgr's
> man tits. Sharks don't have that problem?

Ever see a shark with tits? Natural ones, I mean.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

WhzzKdd

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> WhzzKdd wrote:
>> "Blinky the Shark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

>>> Jim, while I appreciate the effort, that may be the worst haiku I've
>>> ever seen.
>>>

>> Heh! Good point!
>>
>> Speaking of points, you didn't jump into the discussion regarding Rgr's
>> man tits. Sharks don't have that problem?

> Ever see a shark with tits? Natural ones, I mean.

Only if they have two legs as well...oh wait - wrong kind of shark <g>

Mitch

In article <PL%8i.10766$(E-Mail Removed) >, Jim
Beaver <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I have frequent occasion to copy text from emails I receive and to paste
> them into word processor documents (WordPerfect or MS Word). But I cannot
> figure out a fast, simple way to eliminate the line breaks that were part of
> the original email.

> I know I can go in and, one by one, delete line breaks. But it seems I must
> be missing some faster, maybe even instant, means of losing the original
> email's format and putting it into the word processor's format. What might
> that means be?

A basic logic problem.
one example of method --

find and replace all [linebreak,linebreak] with [%%]
replace all [linebreak] with [space]
replace all [%%] with linebreak