Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Adrotator

Adrotator

Aussie Rules

Hi,
I have a adrotator control on a page, and want to program the connection of
the control via SQL.

I have the following code which doesn't seem to do much, and not sure what
else to do?

Dim SQLServerConnection As SqlConnection
Dim SqlConnectionCls As New clsSQL
SQLServerConnection = SqlConnectionCls.Connect

Dim SqlCommand As New SqlCommand

With SqlCommand
.CommandType = Data.CommandType.StoredProcedure
.Connection = SQLServerConnection
.CommandTimeout = 15
.CommandText = "sproc_GetAddDetails"
End With

Me.AdRotator1.DataSource = SqlCommand

AdRotator1.ImageUrlField = "advert_image"
AdRotator1.NavigateUrlField = "advert_URLlink"

Alexey Smirnov

On Jun 4, 9:31 pm, "Aussie Rules" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a adrotator control on a page, and want to program the connection of
> the control via SQL.
>
> I have the following code which doesn't seem to do much, and not sure what
> else to do?
>
> Dim SQLServerConnection As SqlConnection
> Dim SqlConnectionCls As New clsSQL
> SQLServerConnection = SqlConnectionCls.Connect
>
> Dim SqlCommand As New SqlCommand
>
> With SqlCommand
> .CommandType = Data.CommandType.StoredProcedure
> .Connection = SQLServerConnection
> .CommandTimeout = 15
> .CommandText = "sproc_GetAddDetails"
> End With
>
> Me.AdRotator1.DataSource = SqlCommand
>
> AdRotator1.ImageUrlField = "advert_image"
> AdRotator1.NavigateUrlField = "advert_URLlink"

I think you forgot to get the data

AdRotator1.DataSource = SqlCommand.ExecuteReader

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Aussie,

As Alexey has suggested, for SqlCommand object, after you initialize it,
you can call the "ExecuteReader" method (for select ) to return a
SqlDataReadere object. You can loop all the records in the resultset
through DataReader

#Retrieving Data Using a C# .NET DataReader
http://www.akadia.com/services/dotnet_data_reader.html

and for ASP.NET complex databound control, you can directly assign the
DataReader object to their "DataSource" property and call "DataBind" method
to perform databinding. e.g.

==============
SqlCommand comm;

SqlDataReader reader = comm.ExecuteReader();
AdRotator1.DataSource = reader;
AdRotator1.DataBind();
===================

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

Aussie Rules

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I am still not able to get this to work. My code is as follows. When I view
source of the HTML page, there are no values for the adrotator at all.
The Stored Proc works fine.

I can't see whats wrong......

Try

Dim SQLServerConnection As SqlConnection
Dim SqlConnectionCls As New clsSQL
SQLServerConnection = SqlConnectionCls.Connect
Dim SqlCommand As New SqlCommand

With SqlCommand

.CommandType = Data.CommandType.StoredProcedure
.Connection = SQLServerConnection
.CommandTimeout = 15
.CommandText = "sproc_GetBannerAdvertDetails"

End With

' I have swapped these arround and tried, but not working. I have put the
image/navurl after the databind.

AdRotator1.ImageUrlField = "advert_image"
AdRotator1.NavigateUrlField = "advert_URLlink"
AdRotator1.DataSource = SqlCommand.ExecuteReader
AdRotator1.DataBind()

Catch ex As Exception

End Try

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Aussie,
>
> Regarding on this issue, I have also seen your another one in the
> following
> newsgroup:
>
> Subject: Adrotator
> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
>
> Community member Alexey and I have posted some suggestion there. Please
> have a look and feel free to followup in that thread if you have any
> further questions.
>
> Thanks for your posting!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Steven Cheng
>
> Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

> rights.

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...

On Jun 5, 7:26 pm, "Aussie Rules" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> I am still not able to get this to work. My code is as follows. When I view
> source of the HTML page, there are no values for the adrotator at all.
> The Stored Proc works fine.
>
> I can't see whats wrong......

Aussie,

get rid of the try..catch block, I think you will see what is wrong.

Hope it helps

Aussie Rules

Hi,
Sorry I actually removed the catch code to save space. There was no error
created(catch never got fired)

Thanks

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> On Jun 5, 7:26 pm, "Aussie Rules" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for your reply.
>>
>> I am still not able to get this to work. My code is as follows. When I
>> view
>> source of the HTML page, there are no values for the adrotator at all.
>> The Stored Proc works fine.
>>
>> I can't see whats wrong......
>>

> Aussie,
>
> get rid of the try..catch block, I think you will see what is wrong.
>
> Hope it helps

Alexey Smirnov

On Jun 6, 8:40 am, "Aussie Rules" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
> Sorry I actually removed the catch code to save space. There was no error
> created(catch never got fired)
>
> Thanks
>
> "Alexey Smirnov" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>

> > On Jun 5, 7:26 pm, "Aussie Rules" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> Thanks for your reply.

> >> I am still not able to get this to work. My code is as follows. When I
> >> view
> >> source of the HTML page, there are no values for the adrotator at all.
> >> The Stored Proc works fine.

> >> I can't see whats wrong......

> > Aussie,

> > get rid of the try..catch block, I think you will see what is wrong.

> > Hope it helps- Hide quoted text -

Well, are you sure that sproc_GetBannerAdvertDetails is working? Try
to execute it in the Query Analizer (or any other tool to check the db
output)

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Aussie,

I'm not sure about your backend datasource. I suggest you perform the
following checK

1. Direclty bind the DataReader(get from SqlCommand) to a GridView (with
AutoGenerateColumns="true") to verify whether the reader has returned the
correctly & expected resultset

2. For databinding code logic, here is the code in my local test page for
your reference:

=================================
System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load

BindRotator()

End Sub

Private Sub BindRotator()

Dim conn As SqlConnection
Dim comm As SqlCommand
Dim sql As String = "SELECT [id], [name], [description] FROM
[RVTable]"
Dim rdr As SqlDataReader

conn = New
SqlConnection(WebConfigurationManager.ConnectionSt rings("ASPNETTestDBConnect
ionString").ConnectionString)
conn.Open()
comm = New SqlCommand(sql, conn)

rdr = comm.ExecuteReader()

AdRotator1.DataSource = rdr
AdRotator1.ImageUrlField = "name"
AdRotator1.NavigateUrlField = "description"

AdRotator1.DataBind()

rdr.Close()

conn.Close()

End Sub
================================

If you have any further finding or question, please feel free to post here.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Adrotator and flash banner? DDK ASP .Net 1 10-25-2007 09:31 PM
AdRotator Miguel Dias Moura ASP .Net 1 10-14-2004 03:47 PM
Similar to adrotator, but to generate text? John Buchmann ASP .Net 3 09-25-2004 09:43 AM
how to use adrotator Britney ASP .Net 2 09-08-2004 08:15 PM
AdRotator C Downey ASP .Net 1 06-17-2004 06:26 AM

Advertisments