Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Getting back deleted email

Getting back deleted email

meerkat

"don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f413kt$oiv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a anyway to get back my deleted email messages from my Outlook
> Express inbox? They are not in my deleted items box either - this is winXP

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

and search for *.dbx* files, BUT, if you install PCI on the
drive where the files are, you stand the chance of over-writing
them, so you should install it on your 2nd (?) drive.

Vanguard

"don" wrote in message news:f413kt$oiv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a anyway to get back my deleted email messages from my
> Outlook
> Express inbox? They are not in my deleted items box either - this is
> winXP

If OE (or you) has not yet compacted the "folders" (i.e., performed a
purge on the database files), items that have been delete-marked have
not been physically purged. You could use DBxtract or DBxpress to yank
out all items, delete-marked or otherwise, from your .dbx files. If the
folders have been compacted, you'll have to resort to your backups. If
you don't do backups then you have deemed your data as temporary.

don

Is there a anyway to get back my deleted email messages from my Outlook
Express inbox? They are not in my deleted items box either - this is winXP

meerkat

> "Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> "don" wrote in message news:f413kt$oiv$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Is there a anyway to get back my deleted email messages from my
>> > Outlook
>> > Express inbox? They are not in my deleted items box either - this is
>> > winXP

>> If OE (or you) has not yet compacted the "folders" (i.e., performed a
>> purge on the database files), items that have been delete-marked have
>> not been physically purged. You could use DBxtract or DBxpress to yank
>> out all items, delete-marked or otherwise, from your .dbx files. If the
>> folders have been compacted, you'll have to resort to your backups. If
>> you don't do backups then you have deemed your data as temporary.

"don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f41a5j$p8o$(E-Mail Removed)...
> SO where are these .dbx files located?

Start/Search and type in .dbx

don

SO where are these .dbx files located?

"Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed). ..
> "don" wrote in message news:f413kt$oiv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Is there a anyway to get back my deleted email messages from my
> > Outlook
> > Express inbox? They are not in my deleted items box either - this is
> > winXP

> If OE (or you) has not yet compacted the "folders" (i.e., performed a
> purge on the database files), items that have been delete-marked have
> not been physically purged. You could use DBxtract or DBxpress to yank
> out all items, delete-marked or otherwise, from your .dbx files. If the
> folders have been compacted, you'll have to resort to your backups. If
> you don't do backups then you have deemed your data as temporary.

Bucky Breeder

"don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:f413kt$oiv$(E-Mail Removed):

> Is there a anyway to get back my deleted email messages
> from my Outlook Express inbox? They are not in my deleted
> items box either - this is winXP

There's a bunch of software (if you Google for it) but
most is very conditional with a lot of contengencies...

Best bet is to access the servers via the web access, &
pull them up from the deleted box as soon as possible,
*before* they are deleted from the server(s) and then
you can put them back in the inbox, and then pull
them up again via OE.

Alas, it might be too late for that. Without further
explanation, it's difficult to recommend a particular
course of action targeted to your specific situation.

http://www.google.com/search?
hl=en&q=OE+recover+deleted+mail&btnG=Google+Search

Or, Google for "OE recover deleted mail".

--

My newest company is developing computer chips which
store and play music for implantation into women's boobs.

This may resolve complaints from women about men always
staring at their breasts - but never listening to them!

Mike Easter

don wrote:
> Is there a anyway to get back my deleted email messages from my
> Outlook Express inbox?

Probably not, depending on your configuration.

Look at your config in OE/ Tools/ Options/ Maintenance tab - see if
Empty messages from the deleted items folder on exit is checked and see
if Compact messages in the background is checked, along with when to
compact.

If a person did not empty messages from the deleted items folder on
exit, then they would still be in the deleted items and you would just
enable reading/seeing the items in the deleted folder.

Naturally most people are going to be configured to empty messages from
the deleted folder on exit.

The business of compacting determines whether or not messages which have
been 'deleted' or emptied are actually *gone* or not. If a folder has
not been compacted, the deleted/emptied message is still there, it has
just been rendered invisible and can be recovered by accessing the .dbx
file's uncompacted contents.

Most people have some kind of automation which compacts their folders
periodically. That automation makes the folders subject to corruption
as described at Tom Koch's site
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/why.htm#compact OE has a long and troubled
history with compacting folders.

Koch also describes how OE doesn't actually delete messages when it
'deletes' them here http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact
Like most database programs, OE does not actually remove an item from a
*.dbx file when you delete a message. Instead it merely tags the item
for removal at a later time,

Most likely as a result of emptying deleted and compacting in the
background, your deleted items are not accessible from the .dbx.

On this page Koch gives a list of tools for extracting files from .dbx
files http://www.insideoe.com/resources/tools.htm Macallan Outlook
Express Extraction - DBXtract

--
Mike Easter

BMcA

Try here and see if you see the deleted dbx files

C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR NAME \Local Settings\Application
Data\Identities\{B2356F7F-1049-4990-8EE7-D46FC5D81B5F}\Microsoft\Outlook
Express

PeeCee

"don" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f413kt$oiv$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a anyway to get back my deleted email messages from my Outlook
> Express inbox? They are not in my deleted items box either - this is winXP

Don

First OE keeps email messages in .dbx files.
A others have pointed out you can find the location of the .dbx 'Store
Folder' by opening OE and going: Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store folder
button.

OE handles deleted emails like this:

When you delete it from the Inbox.dbx (or Sent or Draft etc .dbx) file it is
copied to the Deleted.dbx and then marked as deleted in the Inbox.dbx.

If you have OE set to auto empty the Deleted folder on exit, then OE will
mark the messages in the Deleted.dbx file as deleted when it exits.

At this point although you can not see the messages they are still there in
their .dbx files.
If OE has not 'Compacted' your .dbx files then DBXtract or DB Express will
read the .dbx file and Extract all the messages irrespective of their
'deleted' status into a folder as individual .eml files.

However if you have 'Compaction' turned on or manually do a Compaction, OE
will go through each .dbx file in turn and remove the messages that have
been marked as 'deleted'.
It does this by shuffling the next message up over the top of each deleted
message.
This process completely removes your message, gone, done, full stop, good
night nurse.

Depressing isn't it.
Fortunately there is one other possible way you 'might' rescue your
uncompacted .dbx files.
In the later updates that Microsoft issued for OE was the facility to backup
..dbx files to the Recycle bin 'before' doing the Compaction.
Have a look in your recycle bin for .dbx files.

If they are there:
Move your current .dbx files out of the way.
Restore the .dbx files from the Recycle bin.
Move the restored .dbx files to a temp folder and return your current .dbx
files.
Now get a copy of DBXtract or DBExpress and go into your temp folder and
extract the emails from your recovered .dbx files.

I have also noticed OE will 'undelete' messages when you import messages
from another OE .dbx folder using it's 'import' function.
I haven't seen any documentation on this, but when I've moved emails to new
PC's the owners often comment there are emails there that had been deleted
years ago.
I would think using Compaction ' on these old .dbx first would be a no no
though.

Best Luck
Paul.

Vanguard

"don" wrote in message news:f41a5j$p8o$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Vanguard" wrote ...
>
>> "don" wrote ...
>> > Is there a anyway to get back my deleted email messages from my
>> > Outlook
>> > Express inbox? They are not in my deleted items box either - this
>> > is
>> > winXP

>> If OE (or you) has not yet compacted the "folders" (i.e., performed a
>> purge on the database files), items that have been delete-marked have
>> not been physically purged. You could use DBxtract or DBxpress to
>> yank
>> out all items, delete-marked or otherwise, from your .dbx files. If
>> the
>> folders have been compacted, you'll have to resort to your backups.
>> If
>> you don't do backups then you have deemed your data as temporary.

> SO where are these .dbx files located?

Obviously you haven't bothered to try the mentioned utilities as
evidence by your question. You can't do anything by yourself to extract
the delete-marked items from them. Go try the software unless you found
some other solution you like better.

Also, Microsoft has a huge support knowledgebase at
http://support.microsoft.com where you can find lots of articles. If
you pick Outlook Express and search on "backup" then an article will
probably get found on how to migrate those files which means it will
tell you where they are which is different based on the version of
Windows that you are using but not mentioned.