Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Python 3000: Standard API for archives?

Python 3000: Standard API for archives?

samwyse

I'm a relative newbie to Python, so please bear with me. There are
currently two standard modules used to access archived data: zipfile
and tarfile. The interfaces are completely different. In particular,
script wanting to analyze different types of archives must duplicate
substantial pieces of logic. The problem is not limited to method
names; it includes how stat-like information is accessed.

I think it would be a good thing if a standardized interface existed,
similar to PEP 247. This would make it easier for one script to access
multiple types of archives, such as RAR, 7-Zip, ISO, etc. In
particular, a single factory class could produce PEP 302 import hooks
for future as well as current archive formats.

I think that an archive module adhering to the standard should adopt a
least-common-denominator approach, initially supporting read-only access
without seek, i.e. tar files on actual tape. For applications that
require a seek method (such as importers) a standard wrapper class could
transparently cache archive members in temp files; this would fit in
well with Python 3000's rewrite of the I/O interface to support
stackable interfaces. To this end, we'd need is_seekable and
is_writable attributes for both the module and instances (moduel level
would declare if something is possible, not if it is always true).

Most importantly, all archive modules should provide a standard API for
accessing their individual files via a single archive_content class that
provides a standard 'read' method. Less importantly but nice to have
would be a way for archives to be auto-magically scanned during walks of
directories.

Feedback?

Chuck Rhode

samwyse wrote this on Mon, 04 Jun 2007 12:02:03 +0000. My reply is
below.

> I think it would be a good thing if a standardized interface
> existed, similar to PEP 247. This would make it easier for one
> script to access multiple types of archives, such as RAR, 7-Zip,
> ISO, etc.

Gee, it would be great to be able to open an archive member for update
I/O. This is kind of hard to do now. If it were possible, though, it
would obscure the difference between file directories and archives,
which would be kind of neat. Furthermore, you could navigate archives
of archives (zips of tars and other abominations).

--
... Chuck Rhode, Sheboygan, WI, USA
... Weather: http://LacusVeris.com/WX

Tim Golden

Chuck Rhode wrote:
> samwyse wrote this on Mon, 04 Jun 2007 12:02:03 +0000. My reply is
> below.
>
>> I think it would be a good thing if a standardized interface
>> existed, similar to PEP 247. This would make it easier for one
>> script to access multiple types of archives, such as RAR, 7-Zip,
>> ISO, etc.

> Gee, it would be great to be able to open an archive member for update
> I/O. This is kind of hard to do now. If it were possible, though, it
> would obscure the difference between file directories and archives,
> which would be kind of neat. Furthermore, you could navigate archives
> of archives (zips of tars and other abominations).

FWIW, there's no need to get hung on Python-3000 or
any other release. Just put something together a module
called "archive" or whatever, which exposes the kind of
API you're thinking of, offering support across zip, bz2
and whatever else you want. Put it up on the Cheeseshop,
announce it on c.l.py.ann and anywhere else which seems
apt. See if it gains traction. Take it from there.

NB This has the advantage that you can start small, say
with zip and bz2 support and maybe see if you get
contributions for less common formats, even via 3rd
party libs. If you were to try to get it into the stdlib
it would need to be much more fully specified up front,
I suspect.

TJG

Chuck Rhode

Tim Golden wrote this on Mon, 04 Jun 2007 15:55:30 +0100. My reply is
below.

> Chuck Rhode wrote:

>> samwyse wrote this on Mon, 04 Jun 2007 12:02:03 +0000. My reply is
>> below.

>>> I think it would be a good thing if a standardized interface
>>> existed, similar to PEP 247. This would make it easier for one
>>> script to access multiple types of archives, such as RAR, 7-Zip,
>>> ISO, etc.

>> Gee, it would be great to be able to open an archive member for
>> update I/O. This is kind of hard to do now. If it were possible,
>> though, it would obscure the difference between file directories
>> and archives, which would be kind of neat. Furthermore, you could
>> navigate archives of archives (zips of tars and other
>> abominations).

> Just put something together a module called "archive" or whatever,
> which exposes the kind of API you're thinking of, offering support
> across zip, bz2 and whatever else you want. Put it up on the
> Cheeseshop, announce it on c.l.py.ann and anywhere else which seems
> apt. See if it gains traction. Take it from there.

> NB This has the advantage that you can start small, say with zip and
> bz2 support and maybe see if you get contributions for less common
> formats, even via 3rd party libs. If you were to try to get it into
> the stdlib it would need to be much more fully specified up front, I
> suspect.

Yeah, this is in the daydreaming stages. I'd like to maintain
not-just-read-only libraries of geographic shapefiles, which are
available free from governmental agencies and which are riddled with
obvious errors. Typically these are published in compressed archives
within which every subdirectory is likewise compressed (apparently for
no other purpose than a rather vain attempt at flattening the
directory structure, which must be reconstituted on the User's end
anyway). Building a comprehensive index to what member name(s) the
different map layers (roads, political boundaries, watercourses) have
in various political districts of varying geographic resolutions is
much more than merely frustrating. I've given it up. However, I
believe that once I've located something usable, the thing to do is
save a grand unified reference locator (GURL) for it. The GURL would
specify a directory path to the highest level archive followed by a
(potential cascade of) archive member name(s for enclosed archives) of
the data file(s) to be operated on. Unpacking and repacking would be
behind the scenes. Updates (via FTP) of non-local resources would be
transparent, too. I think, though, that notes about the publication
date, publisher, resolution, area covered, and format of the map or
map layer ought to be kept out of the GURL.

My whole appetite for this sort of thing would vanish if access to the
shapefiles were more tractable to begin with.

--
... Chuck Rhode, Sheboygan, WI, USA
... 1979 Honda Goldwing GL1000 (Geraldine)