Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Cannot create new folder on desktop

Cannot create new folder on desktop

Cindy Stuart

i cannot create a folder directly on the DESKTOP the normal way. i get the
dialog box,
"Unable to create the folder 'New Folder' There are no files."

i am able to use a dos cmd window to create a folder on the Desktop, or i
can create a folder anywhere else -using the normal left click then right
click, then draging folder or cutting and pasting it to the desktop.
However, if a folder exists on my desktop, i'm able to create a new folder
inside of
that one (using the mouse).

i've already checked permissions. i'm wondering what it means when it says,
'there are no files'.
i'm using xp pro and my system seems stable.

i have firewall zonealarm pro and anti virus kaspersky 6.0.2.621 running and
i do periodic checks with ad-aware..

anyone have any ideas!?

tia

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Cindy Stuart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>i cannot create a folder directly on the DESKTOP the normal way. i get the
>dialog box,
>"Unable to create the folder 'New Folder' There are no files."
>
>i am able to use a dos cmd window to create a folder on the Desktop, or i
>can create a folder anywhere else -using the normal left click then right
> click, then draging folder or cutting and pasting it to the desktop.
> However, if a folder exists on my desktop, i'm able to create a new folder
> inside of
>that one (using the mouse).

You can use Process Monitor to find out why,
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...ssmonitor.mspx

Use the filters, This sounds like an Explorer problem so filter
everything but explorer from listing - keeps output slow.

--

http://www.rav.efbnet.com/humour/ohshit-cat.jpg

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

>slow

Not slow, but to a manageable level

--

http://www.rav.efbnet.com/humour/ohshit-cat.jpg

Evan Platt

On Mon, 04 Jun 2007 01:27:31 GMT, "Cindy Stuart"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>i cannot create a folder directly on the DESKTOP the normal way. i get the
>dialog box,
>"Unable to create the folder 'New Folder' There are no files."

How many times do you intend to ask this?

Keep it in one thread.

Subject: unable to create the folder "new folder: no new files
From: "Cindy Stuart" <(E-Mail Removed)>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2007 14:38:45 GMT