Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Vista x64/GeForce 7900 GT Random Crash...

Reply
Thread Tools

Vista x64/GeForce 7900 GT Random Crash...

 
 
=?Utf-8?B?TnBHcmVnMDQ=?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-03-2007
I am running Windows Vista Home Premium x64, an Nvidia GeForce 7900 GT and I
have an Asus A8N32-SLI motherboard. I have been having some major issues
with all of these 3 (Vista/Nvidia/A8N32).

When I install the Nvidia drivers for Windows Vista x64, I get random
lock-ups. I will be either playing a game, listening to music or surfing the
net when my computer will just freeze. This is totally random. My computer
might freeze within 5 minutes of start up or might freeze within 5 hours of
start up. I had days where my computer will not freeze at all and other days
where it would freeze several times a day. It is totally random. I have
been running all the latest nvidia drivers that have been released every
month.

If I use the Microsoft Nvidia Drivers (the driver that is auto installed
when Vista is installed), my computer does not freeze randomly. However,
when my computer does to sleep and wakes up, I get all these strange lines on
my screen and I am forced to reboot. Also whenever I play a game and turn on
Anti-Analzing mode, I also get strange lines on my screen. But if I do not
go to sleep or turn on Anti-Analzing, my computer works fine and does not
freeze at all.

I am not overclocking or anything of that nature. So I dunno what to do. I
don’t know what else to try. Any suggestions? I am tired of playing around
and I am considering getting a GeForce 8800 series card but I am worried I
might experience the same effect that I am going through right now.

My Comp Specs:

-AMD Athlon X2 4200
-2 x 1024 Dual Channel PC-3200 DDR Ram (Corsair)
-HT Omega Claro Sound Card

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-03-2007
Hi:
Until last night I had been able to use NVidia drivers (those from
www.nvidia.com) with absolutely no problem.
Last ones were the 158.18's
I bought a brand new 8600GTS, manufacturer MSI.
As I had uninstalled the previous card (Biostar 7600GT) as well as the
drivers, Vista x64 booted in VGA because it had no driver for the 8600.
I installed then the 158.18's that I had downloaded from MSI because I saw
they included some kind of control panel.
Rebooted and everything went fine.
This morning I saw that NVidia (not MSI) had released the 158.24's with
several improvements.
It was then that I got MY FIRST BSOD in Vista.
The 158.24's had detected the previous driver (158.18 from MSI), kindly
offered to uninstall them, and with the same kindness I received the BSOD.
Restart, uninstall the MSI 158.18's, restart, VGA screen.
Install the NVidia 158.24's, restart. BSOD after the appearance of the
desktop.
Restart in safe mode, restore to the state where I had removed the 7600GT.
Restart, VGA, no BSOD.
Install MSI 158.18's again.
Bottom line: I will only use the drivers supplied by the manufacturer
(tapping my fingers on the desktop while waiting for MSI to come up with the
158.24's)
You made no mention about your NVidia board manufacturer, check whether they
have a custom driver (like me) or the use the "regulars" from NVidia.
Carlos

"NpGreg04" wrote:

> I am running Windows Vista Home Premium x64, an Nvidia GeForce 7900 GT and I
> have an Asus A8N32-SLI motherboard. I have been having some major issues
> with all of these 3 (Vista/Nvidia/A8N32).
>
> When I install the Nvidia drivers for Windows Vista x64, I get random
> lock-ups. I will be either playing a game, listening to music or surfing the
> net when my computer will just freeze. This is totally random. My computer
> might freeze within 5 minutes of start up or might freeze within 5 hours of
> start up. I had days where my computer will not freeze at all and other days
> where it would freeze several times a day. It is totally random. I have
> been running all the latest nvidia drivers that have been released every
> month.
>
> If I use the Microsoft Nvidia Drivers (the driver that is auto installed
> when Vista is installed), my computer does not freeze randomly. However,
> when my computer does to sleep and wakes up, I get all these strange lines on
> my screen and I am forced to reboot. Also whenever I play a game and turn on
> Anti-Analzing mode, I also get strange lines on my screen. But if I do not
> go to sleep or turn on Anti-Analzing, my computer works fine and does not
> freeze at all.
>
> I am not overclocking or anything of that nature. So I dunno what to do. I
> don’t know what else to try. Any suggestions? I am tired of playing around
> and I am considering getting a GeForce 8800 series card but I am worried I
> might experience the same effect that I am going through right now.
>
> My Comp Specs:
>
> -AMD Athlon X2 4200
> -2 x 1024 Dual Channel PC-3200 DDR Ram (Corsair)
> -HT Omega Claro Sound Card
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tony Sperling
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-03-2007
Depending on the age of the board, you should go to the Asus site and check
for a BIOS update. While there, check the date of the chipset drivers
against those on the system CD that came with the board.

The Vista graphics drivers are quite new and issues have been reported -
Carlos, has just reported a new version two posts below that you may try
out. This sounds as a driver problem and buying another card may be a waste
if you have no specific use for DX10 enabled graphics.

Random freezing could also be indicating over-heating - so check your
temp's.

Also, when you are fiddling with changing drivers because of troubles,
remove the old driver and re-boot before re-installing.


Tony. . .



"NpGreg04" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am running Windows Vista Home Premium x64, an Nvidia GeForce 7900 GT and

I
> have an Asus A8N32-SLI motherboard. I have been having some major issues
> with all of these 3 (Vista/Nvidia/A8N32).
>
> When I install the Nvidia drivers for Windows Vista x64, I get random
> lock-ups. I will be either playing a game, listening to music or surfing

the
> net when my computer will just freeze. This is totally random. My

computer
> might freeze within 5 minutes of start up or might freeze within 5 hours

of
> start up. I had days where my computer will not freeze at all and other

days
> where it would freeze several times a day. It is totally random. I have
> been running all the latest nvidia drivers that have been released every
> month.
>
> If I use the Microsoft Nvidia Drivers (the driver that is auto installed
> when Vista is installed), my computer does not freeze randomly. However,
> when my computer does to sleep and wakes up, I get all these strange lines

on
> my screen and I am forced to reboot. Also whenever I play a game and turn

on
> Anti-Analzing mode, I also get strange lines on my screen. But if I do

not
> go to sleep or turn on Anti-Analzing, my computer works fine and does not
> freeze at all.
>
> I am not overclocking or anything of that nature. So I dunno what to do.

I
> don't know what else to try. Any suggestions? I am tired of playing

around
> and I am considering getting a GeForce 8800 series card but I am worried I
> might experience the same effect that I am going through right now.
>
> My Comp Specs:
>
> -AMD Athlon X2 4200
> -2 x 1024 Dual Channel PC-3200 DDR Ram (Corsair)
> -HT Omega Claro Sound Card
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-04-2007
Tony:
There is a beta BIOS dated March 3rd, 2007 in ASUS for that mobo.
No final release since then.
On the driver side, ASUS has no updates for this mobo since October 2005, so
Vista is out of the game.
I have a similar mobo (ASUS A8N-SLI) running with NVidia NForce4 chipset
drivers (Vista x64 and XP x64).
Carlos

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> Depending on the age of the board, you should go to the Asus site and check
> for a BIOS update. While there, check the date of the chipset drivers
> against those on the system CD that came with the board.
>
> The Vista graphics drivers are quite new and issues have been reported -
> Carlos, has just reported a new version two posts below that you may try
> out. This sounds as a driver problem and buying another card may be a waste
> if you have no specific use for DX10 enabled graphics.
>
> Random freezing could also be indicating over-heating - so check your
> temp's.
>
> Also, when you are fiddling with changing drivers because of troubles,
> remove the old driver and re-boot before re-installing.
>
>
> Tony. . .
>
>
>
> "NpGreg04" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I am running Windows Vista Home Premium x64, an Nvidia GeForce 7900 GT and

> I
> > have an Asus A8N32-SLI motherboard. I have been having some major issues
> > with all of these 3 (Vista/Nvidia/A8N32).
> >
> > When I install the Nvidia drivers for Windows Vista x64, I get random
> > lock-ups. I will be either playing a game, listening to music or surfing

> the
> > net when my computer will just freeze. This is totally random. My

> computer
> > might freeze within 5 minutes of start up or might freeze within 5 hours

> of
> > start up. I had days where my computer will not freeze at all and other

> days
> > where it would freeze several times a day. It is totally random. I have
> > been running all the latest nvidia drivers that have been released every
> > month.
> >
> > If I use the Microsoft Nvidia Drivers (the driver that is auto installed
> > when Vista is installed), my computer does not freeze randomly. However,
> > when my computer does to sleep and wakes up, I get all these strange lines

> on
> > my screen and I am forced to reboot. Also whenever I play a game and turn

> on
> > Anti-Analzing mode, I also get strange lines on my screen. But if I do

> not
> > go to sleep or turn on Anti-Analzing, my computer works fine and does not
> > freeze at all.
> >
> > I am not overclocking or anything of that nature. So I dunno what to do.

> I
> > don't know what else to try. Any suggestions? I am tired of playing

> around
> > and I am considering getting a GeForce 8800 series card but I am worried I
> > might experience the same effect that I am going through right now.
> >
> > My Comp Specs:
> >
> > -AMD Athlon X2 4200
> > -2 x 1024 Dual Channel PC-3200 DDR Ram (Corsair)
> > -HT Omega Claro Sound Card
> >

>
>
>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Tony Sperling
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-04-2007
Yes, there is one for my board too, but there is no description to what it
is targeting so haven't tried it - I also have no current issues here.

I think Asus is fairly good with those updates, but like everybody else,
some products are being phased out this way.


Tony. . .


"Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tony:
> There is a beta BIOS dated March 3rd, 2007 in ASUS for that mobo.
> No final release since then.
> On the driver side, ASUS has no updates for this mobo since October 2005,

so
> Vista is out of the game.
> I have a similar mobo (ASUS A8N-SLI) running with NVidia NForce4 chipset
> drivers (Vista x64 and XP x64).
> Carlos
>
> "Tony Sperling" wrote:
>
> > Depending on the age of the board, you should go to the Asus site and

check
> > for a BIOS update. While there, check the date of the chipset drivers
> > against those on the system CD that came with the board.
> >
> > The Vista graphics drivers are quite new and issues have been reported -
> > Carlos, has just reported a new version two posts below that you may try
> > out. This sounds as a driver problem and buying another card may be a

waste
> > if you have no specific use for DX10 enabled graphics.
> >
> > Random freezing could also be indicating over-heating - so check your
> > temp's.
> >
> > Also, when you are fiddling with changing drivers because of troubles,
> > remove the old driver and re-boot before re-installing.
> >
> >
> > Tony. . .
> >
> >
> >
> > "NpGreg04" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I am running Windows Vista Home Premium x64, an Nvidia GeForce 7900 GT

and
> > I
> > > have an Asus A8N32-SLI motherboard. I have been having some major

issues
> > > with all of these 3 (Vista/Nvidia/A8N32).
> > >
> > > When I install the Nvidia drivers for Windows Vista x64, I get random
> > > lock-ups. I will be either playing a game, listening to music or

surfing
> > the
> > > net when my computer will just freeze. This is totally random. My

> > computer
> > > might freeze within 5 minutes of start up or might freeze within 5

hours
> > of
> > > start up. I had days where my computer will not freeze at all and

other
> > days
> > > where it would freeze several times a day. It is totally random. I

have
> > > been running all the latest nvidia drivers that have been released

every
> > > month.
> > >
> > > If I use the Microsoft Nvidia Drivers (the driver that is auto

installed
> > > when Vista is installed), my computer does not freeze randomly.

However,
> > > when my computer does to sleep and wakes up, I get all these strange

lines
> > on
> > > my screen and I am forced to reboot. Also whenever I play a game and

turn
> > on
> > > Anti-Analzing mode, I also get strange lines on my screen. But if I

do
> > not
> > > go to sleep or turn on Anti-Analzing, my computer works fine and does

not
> > > freeze at all.
> > >
> > > I am not overclocking or anything of that nature. So I dunno what to

do.
> > I
> > > don't know what else to try. Any suggestions? I am tired of playing

> > around
> > > and I am considering getting a GeForce 8800 series card but I am

worried I
> > > might experience the same effect that I am going through right now.
> > >
> > > My Comp Specs:
> > >
> > > -AMD Athlon X2 4200
> > > -2 x 1024 Dual Channel PC-3200 DDR Ram (Corsair)
> > > -HT Omega Claro Sound Card
> > >

> >
> >
> >



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Math.random() and Math.round(Math.random()) and Math.floor(Math.random()*2) VK Javascript 15 05-02-2010 03:43 PM
random.random(), random not defined!? globalrev Python 4 04-20-2008 08:12 AM
HEXUS.reviews :: BFG Tech GeForce 7900 GT, 7900 GTX and 7600 GT OC Silverstrand Front Page News 0 07-08-2006 02:43 PM
NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GX2 Quad SLI Preview Silverstrand Front Page News 0 04-17-2006 05:51 PM
News: 7900 GTX specification confirmed @ Pureoverclock Silverstrand Front Page News 0 02-26-2006 02:30 PM



Advertisments