Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows Explorer

Windows Explorer

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9zaA==?=

Can anyone help me to figure out why my Windows XP Professional all of a
sudden started to keep popping up the message "Windows Explorer has
encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
inconvenience." and even with reporting the report or not, the message keeps
reappearing and will not stop? Any help that people can provide would be very
appreciated. Thank you in advance if you can help me out.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Josh:
1.- Try system restore to a previous known good state. That should fix it.
2.- If you want to investigate then think what did you do or install
recently that might have caused the problem.
Carlos

"Josh" wrote:

> Can anyone help me to figure out why my Windows XP Professional all of a
> sudden started to keep popping up the message "Windows Explorer has
> encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
> inconvenience." and even with reporting the report or not, the message keeps
> reappearing and will not stop? Any help that people can provide would be very
> appreciated. Thank you in advance if you can help me out.

John Barnes

Is it just the message or does explorer stop or stop and restart? Which
version of Professional 64 or 86? What are you doing at the time i.e.
opening a file, drag and drop etc.? Please be as specific as possible.

"Josh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can anyone help me to figure out why my Windows XP Professional all of a
> sudden started to keep popping up the message "Windows Explorer has
> encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
> inconvenience." and even with reporting the report or not, the message
> keeps
> reappearing and will not stop? Any help that people can provide would be
> very
> appreciated. Thank you in advance if you can help me out.

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9zaA==?=

John,
When it pops up and I click on one of the buttons, my window goes blank for
a second only showing my wallpaper and then everything comes back up and my
programs in the quick bar try to load back up. I have noticed that something
tries to load and then the error message pops up and the program symbol
disappears so I can't catch it because it happens so fast. I haven't a clue
what version of professional is on this computer because I bought it from
someone who built it for me so I'm not sure how to find out. The system
window only says Windows XP Professional. Whatever causes this also causes my
programs like Excel and Word to crash when I attempt to access a directory
while saving or opening a file. Also, when I go to open "My Computer" it also
seems like it cannot find my drives and all I see is the searching symbol and
it never loads up to the drives menu. I really hope this helps to diagnose
it. I've used Ad-Aware to search for adware and spyware and anti-virus to
scan for viruses and nothing is found there and also System Restore seems to
not help with it either. I don't know what's going on.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Is it just the message or does explorer stop or stop and restart? Which
> version of Professional 64 or 86? What are you doing at the time i.e.
> opening a file, drag and drop etc.? Please be as specific as possible.
>
> "Josh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can anyone help me to figure out why my Windows XP Professional all of a
> > sudden started to keep popping up the message "Windows Explorer has
> > encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
> > inconvenience." and even with reporting the report or not, the message
> > keeps
> > reappearing and will not stop? Any help that people can provide would be
> > very
> > appreciated. Thank you in advance if you can help me out.

John Barnes

It does appear that you should post this in the
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general group. You should look thru your event
viewer to see what may be causing it, but it does appear from the symptoms
that explorer.exe is shutting down and restarting. You may need to do a
repair install, but you may not be able to do that as the version you have
on any install disk is probably not a match for the version you are running.
Let us know if you find anything besides the failure of explorer.exe in the
logs and I would post in the other group as the code base for that version
is different and there are more people familiar with the problems in that
code base (also more trolls, so be prepared). You can search that group for
the explorer.exe and see if you get any hits. Good luck.