Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Streaming Audio

Streaming Audio

Tony K

Is streaming audio capable in asp.net 2.0 / AJAX? What I mean by streaming
audio is: ability to play one or more songs back to back...or maybe even let
the user select several songs to play and it will play them back to back.

Thanks,
Tony K

Scott M.

I wouldn't call that streaming audio, I'd call that file download selection.

Can you be more specific as to what, exactly, you are trying to?

"Tony K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is streaming audio capable in asp.net 2.0 / AJAX? What I mean by streaming
> audio is: ability to play one or more songs back to back...or maybe even
> let the user select several songs to play and it will play them back to
> back.
>
> Thanks,
> Tony K

Mark Fitzpatrick

Tony,
True streaming audio is done with a streaming audio server, such as
the windows media server for windows. I think what you're looking for is a
playlist generator for an appropriate player. For example, you may be able
to create a windows media player playlist file, asx, dynamically from an
asp.net application. This would tell the windows media client on the user's
comptuer what files to grab and information about them.

--
Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick

"Tony K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is streaming audio capable in asp.net 2.0 / AJAX? What I mean by streaming
> audio is: ability to play one or more songs back to back...or maybe even
> let the user select several songs to play and it will play them back to
> back.
>
> Thanks,
> Tony K

You can implement streaming media with this free control:
http://SteveOrr.net/articles/StreamingMedia.aspx
With a little code I'm sure you can get it to play some songs back to back.

--
I hope this helps,
Steve C. Orr,

"Tony K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is streaming audio capable in asp.net 2.0 / AJAX? What I mean by streaming
> audio is: ability to play one or more songs back to back...or maybe even
> let the user select several songs to play and it will play them back to
> back.
>
> Thanks,
> Tony K

Tony K

Mark,
Windows Media Server. I have Windows Server 2003 up and running, but
will that support other OS's that visit my site? I am just reading this
now, so I haven't even looked into Windows Media Server. Is it available
for downlaod?

Thanks,
Tony

"Mark Fitzpatrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tony,
> True streaming audio is done with a streaming audio server, such as
> the windows media server for windows. I think what you're looking for is a
> playlist generator for an appropriate player. For example, you may be able
> to create a windows media player playlist file, asx, dynamically from an
> asp.net application. This would tell the windows media client on the
> user's comptuer what files to grab and information about them.
>

> --
> Hope this helps,
> Mark Fitzpatrick
> Former Microsoft FrontPage MVP 199?-2006
>
> "Tony K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is streaming audio capable in asp.net 2.0 / AJAX? What I mean by
>> streaming audio is: ability to play one or more songs back to back...or
>> maybe even let the user select several songs to play and it will play
>> them back to back.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tony K

Tony K

Steve,
Thanks a lot for the info. I'll get started on this right away!

Thanks again,
Tony K

"Steve C. Orr [MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASP Insider]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news(E-Mail Removed)...
> You can implement streaming media with this free control:
> http://SteveOrr.net/articles/StreamingMedia.aspx
> With a little code I'm sure you can get it to play some songs back to
> back.
>
> --
> I hope this helps,
> Steve C. Orr,
> MCSD, MVP, CSM, ASPInsider
> http://SteveOrr.net
>

> "Tony K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is streaming audio capable in asp.net 2.0 / AJAX? What I mean by
>> streaming audio is: ability to play one or more songs back to back...or
>> maybe even let the user select several songs to play and it will play
>> them back to back.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Tony K

Tony K

Nevermind on the "available for download" part. I just logged onto my
server and saw it is included. If I have other questions or problems, I'll
come back or...find the newsgroup for Media Server.

Thanks again,

Tony K

"Tony K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mark,
> Windows Media Server. I have Windows Server 2003 up and running, but
> will that support other OS's that visit my site? I am just reading this
> now, so I haven't even looked into Windows Media Server. Is it available
> for downlaod?
>
> Thanks,
> Tony
>
> "Mark Fitzpatrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Tony,
>> True streaming audio is done with a streaming audio server, such
>> as the windows media server for windows. I think what you're looking for
>> is a playlist generator for an appropriate player. For example, you may
>> be able to create a windows media player playlist file, asx, dynamically
>> from an asp.net application. This would tell the windows media client on
>> the user's comptuer what files to grab and information about them.
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps,
>> Mark Fitzpatrick
>> Former Microsoft FrontPage MVP 199?-2006
>>
>> "Tony K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Is streaming audio capable in asp.net 2.0 / AJAX? What I mean by
>>> streaming audio is: ability to play one or more songs back to back...or
>>> maybe even let the user select several songs to play and it will play
>>> them back to back.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Tony K

Scott M.

Other OS's don't visit your site. Client browsers contact your server, not
their operating systems.

"Tony K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mark,
> Windows Media Server. I have Windows Server 2003 up and running, but
> will that support other OS's that visit my site? I am just reading this
> now, so I haven't even looked into Windows Media Server. Is it available
> for downlaod?
>
> Thanks,
> Tony
>
> "Mark Fitzpatrick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Tony,
>> True streaming audio is done with a streaming audio server, such
>> as the windows media server for windows. I think what you're looking for
>> is a playlist generator for an appropriate player. For example, you may
>> be able to create a windows media player playlist file, asx, dynamically
>> from an asp.net application. This would tell the windows media client on
>> the user's comptuer what files to grab and information about them.
>>

>> --
>> Hope this helps,
>> Mark Fitzpatrick
>> Former Microsoft FrontPage MVP 199?-2006
>>
>> "Tony K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Is streaming audio capable in asp.net 2.0 / AJAX? What I mean by
>>> streaming audio is: ability to play one or more songs back to back...or
>>> maybe even let the user select several songs to play and it will play
>>> them back to back.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Tony K

Tony K

Thanks again. Sorry... first time attempting something like this.

Tony K

news:(E-Mail Removed)...