Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Data Management

Data Management

John

I just wondered how people in this group manage the data on their
system?

How many Hard Drives and partitions on drives do you have etc? And do
you have separate drives for different things e.g. multimedia like
photos and DV?

I am also interested to know what backup methods/software people use
for their important documents and photos?

Cheers

John

Wizard

John; I use an 80 GB drive for windows XP,
80 GB drive for backup of XP drive
160 GB drive for dual booting of Vista.
The extra backup drive has served me very well over the years.

John wrote:

> I just wondered how people in this group manage the data on their
> system?
>
> How many Hard Drives and partitions on drives do you have etc? And do
> you have separate drives for different things e.g. multimedia like
> photos and DV?
>
> I am also interested to know what backup methods/software people use
> for their important documents and photos?
>
> Cheers
>
> John

Jimbo

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I just wondered how people in this group manage the data on their
> system?
>
> How many Hard Drives and partitions on drives do you have etc? And do
> you have separate drives for different things e.g. multimedia like
> photos and DV?
>
> I am also interested to know what backup methods/software people use
> for their important documents and photos?
>
> Cheers
>
> John

At my store I use a Promise IDE RAID 0/1 controller with 40 gig drives. I
simply swap out the removable drive about every other week. If my main drive
crashes then I can be back up and running in minutes with the mirror drive.
Later I can restore from the other mirrored drive that I swaped out less
then two weeks ago.
As far as backups of files I save to a drive on another computer.

At home I have one system that is used ONLY for email, newsgroups and WWW.
If I need a download for another system then I download to the first system
run a virus/spyware checker (the only one of all my systems that has
virus/spyware software) and xfer via a USB 1gig thumb drive to the other
system. My other systems are only on the internet when I need to do software
updates. That is with the exception of the "money management system" that I
only use for my personal accounting and paypal transactions and one of my
other Linux systems, which is not as at risk to virus/spyware as my Windoz
systems.

Personal photos and other things I burn to a DVD about once a month and
destroy the last months DVD.

This can be a very low dollar way of doing things. Old systems can be had
very cheap. A web surfing system can run on an old 1ghz system with 256 meg.
memory and a small hard drive. The "money management system" is also an
older system that someone gave me and cost less then $100 to get fully
functional. You can use Linux OS and Linux programs for this system.

For my main Windoz XP system I only have the main partition. Backups are to
DVD and/or the thumb drive to another system. I see no need for many
partitions using this ideology.

My way of thinking is you are better off having a few systems and you use
each system only for their designated purpose. You can customize and
optimize each system for what you use it for. You can keep costs low by
using Linux for as much as will work for you. You can use older, slower,
lesser cost systems hardware/software for much of your computer needs this
way and reach performance levels about equal to an all in one system that
NEEDS to be the latest and greatest to handle everything.

Not to mention that you can have them all running at the same time with
overall performance levels that rival the fastest newest system if it is
trying to operate as an all in one system.

Plus, if one system gets hacked or crashes then you are only out what was on
that system. Once you restore that system then you simply restore the
software and files for that "niche" system from the backups you have stored
on the other systems or on DVD's.

I still have an old dual 933mhz cpu system with 1.5 gig ram and two dual
(2x2) 80 gig. hd's ( mirror RAID ) running Linux for a file/print server/DVD
burner and with dual ethernet cards it also acts like a firewall/router to
my "money management system".

With all this I have spent less then $2,000 over the past few years on my
computer systems/network.

tony sayer

>This can be a very low dollar way of doing things. Old systems can be had
>very cheap. A web surfing system can run on an old 1ghz system with 256 meg.
>memory and a small hard drive. The "money management system" is also an
>older system that someone gave me and cost less then $100 to get fully
>functional. You can use Linux OS and Linux programs for this system.

Too right!, a friend of mine who is a systems analyst for a large
corporation does most all of his day to day work on an old 400 MHz
machine running Linux and Open office, thunderbird, and Firefox, and he
says that it suits him fine and can't see the need to change!..

Obviously he's not on Bill Gates's Christmas card list;!....
--
Tony Sayer