Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Intel or AMD?

Intel or AMD?

John

Which is better out of the two processors below and why?

- -

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail

Dual Core Technology, 2.40GHz clock speed, 4MB L2 Cache, Intel
Speedstep Technology, EM64T 64-Bit Technology, Execute Disable Bit.
3yr Warranty.

- -

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ 3.00GHz (Socket AM2) - Retail

Dual Core Technology, 3.00GHz clock speed, 2x1MB L2 Cache, 64-Bit
Technology, HyperTransport Technology, 3yr Warranty.

- -

Cheers

John

babaloo

Core Duo faster on test bench, indisputable.
Intel has leapfrogged AMD with massive amounts of on board cache and
adaptation of the AMD model of fewer but more efficient pipelines.
However in the real world there is no appreciable difference between either
of these and CPUs from either manufacturer that are a few notches down on
the food chain.
If you want to play the latest and greatest 3d games then what matters more
is the chip set and video cards. Whether you prefer AMD or Intel CPUs the
clear leader here is the latest/greatest NVidia chipset with SLI for dual
video card support.Top of the line Nvidia cards are clearly faster than AMD
equivalents, but as soon as you drop below the Nvidia 8800 ($400-600) the
single card results are less clear.
Although XP and Vista (yecchhh) both suport multi-cores almost all programs
do not, or only partly (a la Photoshop). Productivity programs, e.g. Word or
Excel, benefit not a jot from CPUs faster than a Pentium II in the real
world.
Current dual core CPUs so outclass both operating systems and software, and
have since the intro of the AMD dual cores, that differences in CPU
horsepower are almost irrelevant to real world uses.
However we are all consumers habituated into wanting the latest, greatest,
fastest whether or not it will really make any difference in the real world
use of the product, as opposed to what you read in test bench results.

Paul

John wrote:
> Which is better out of the two processors below and why?
>
> - -
>
> Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.40GHz (1066FSB) - Retail
>
> Dual Core Technology, 2.40GHz clock speed, 4MB L2 Cache, Intel
> Speedstep Technology, EM64T 64-Bit Technology, Execute Disable Bit.
> 3yr Warranty.
>
> - -
>
> AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ 3.00GHz (Socket AM2) - Retail
>
> Dual Core Technology, 3.00GHz clock speed, 2x1MB L2 Cache, 64-Bit
> Technology, HyperTransport Technology, 3yr Warranty.
>
> - -
>
> Cheers
>
> John

Integer ALU looks the same.
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.ht...=694&chart=158

AMD looks slightly better - I think this is floating point
http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.ht...=694&chart=159

There aren't really enough gaming results on the website.
Ideally, you'd want your favorite game to be listed here,
to see whether one is better than the other.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.ht...=694&chart=165

Paul

vyaw2003@gmail.com

yes i to want to ask the same question about these processors.
I want to run Virtual Servers in Vmware GSX, (exchange 2007 64 bit
version)
Also to add to that,
What is the best motherboard for the job? need onboard nic, and
video, 4 ram slots would be a bonus but not neccessary. Also need 1
IDE connection for my burner.

Also what is the maximum speed ram to these CPU's take take. I have
been reading that ram speeds come down to the Front Side Bus speed.
My calculations say that 800ghz ram will only perform at the speed of
667 ghz ram. Is this true and does it make 800 ram wasted costs with
this processor??

Thanks