Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Some newbie questions (Dreamweaver)

Some newbie questions (Dreamweaver)

grubas8@gazeta.pl

Hi!

I am taking my first unsure steps creating a website, using
Dreamweaver 6.1. Perhaps somebody here can help me with the following
questions:

1) Is it possible to put a visible border around a layer? Layers seem
to be a great way doing layout, since you can put them anywhere on a
page. However, sometimes I'd like to have a border around a layer. Can
it be done? How?

2) Is there a good tutorial for Dreamweaver somebody could
recommmend?

3) I'd like to limit access to parts of my site with a password. How
do I do that?

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) writing in
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com:

> Hi!
>
> I am taking my first unsure steps creating a website, using
> Dreamweaver 6.1. Perhaps somebody here can help me with the following
> questions:

You would do better getting to know the actual markup language. That
way, if Dreamweaver weaves you a nightmare, you'll be able to fix it.

> 1) Is it possible to put a visible border around a layer? Layers seem
> to be a great way doing layout, since you can put them anywhere on a
> page. However, sometimes I'd like to have a border around a layer. Can
> it be done? How?

What layers? There are no layers in HTML (except for a proprietary
element from Netscape years ago that is not used).

> 2) Is there a good tutorial for Dreamweaver somebody could
> recommmend?

I am sure there are, but you would do much better for yourself, and the
Internet, if you would learn the language itself. It's not very
difficult.

> 3) I'd like to limit access to parts of my site with a password. How
> do I do that?

You could try javascript and be insecure, or you can do it server side.
It depends on what you have available.

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Ed Seedhouse

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 07:55:22 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi!
>
>I am taking my first unsure steps creating a website, using
>Dreamweaver 6.1. Perhaps somebody here can help me with the following
>questions:
>
>1) Is it possible to put a visible border around a layer?

There is no such thing as a "layer" in either html or CSS. This is an
"invention" of Dreamweaver that should be avoided like the plague.What
Dreamweaver actually does in this mode is position your page elements
with the CSS absolute positioning rules, a well known way to produce a
brittle page that does not work correctly under different viewpoint
sizes and font enlargements, all of which you have no control over.

Can the Dreamweaver "layers" and learn to write valid and semantic html,
and then style it with CSS.

"WYSIWYG" editors on the web are a snare and a delusion because, unlike
paper, there is no "WYG" available. "What you get" will vary from
browser to browser and system to system and there is nothing whatsoever
you can do about that, except design with that fact in mind. The web is
not paper!

Neredbojias

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 14:55:22 GMT scribed:

> 1) Is it possible to put a visible border around a layer? Layers seem
> to be a great way doing layout, since you can put them anywhere on a
> page. However, sometimes I'd like to have a border around a layer. Can
> it be done? How?

Yes, but...
In general, "layers" are outside the document flow and thus are not a good
way to do layout. Bordering can be done with css, for instance in the head
section:

div {
border:2px solid yellow;
}

> 2) Is there a good tutorial for Dreamweaver somebody could
> recommmend?

Google for "Dreamweaver tutorial".

> 3) I'd like to limit access to parts of my site with a password. How
> do I do that?

Again, research it via tech info sites. It's quite possible though not
simple.

--
Neredbojias

Timothy Ace Holleran

As the gang says, forget the "layers" crap.

Try <div style="border: 2px red solid;>[Put text and pictures in this
container]</div> To pisition div's on a page, learn all about tables from
any good html help site, such as http://htmlgoodies.com/tutorials/tables/ .
Use empty table cells to place other cells roughly where you want them. You
can lear this in a couple of days.

Ace in CT

"Neredbojias" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns99436B453196Dnanopandaneredbojias@208.49.8 0.251...
> On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 14:55:22 GMT scribed:
>
>> 1) Is it possible to put a visible border around a layer? Layers seem
>> to be a great way doing layout, since you can put them anywhere on a
>> page. However, sometimes I'd like to have a border around a layer. Can
>> it be done? How?

> Yes, but...
> In general, "layers" are outside the document flow and thus are not a good
> way to do layout. Bordering can be done with css, for instance in the
> head
> section:

> div {
> border:2px solid yellow;
> }
>
>> 2) Is there a good tutorial for Dreamweaver somebody could
>> recommmend?

> Google for "Dreamweaver tutorial".
>
>> 3) I'd like to limit access to parts of my site with a password. How
>> do I do that?

> Again, research it via tech info sites. It's quite possible though not
> simple.
>
> --
> Neredbojias
> He who laughs last sounds like an idiot.

Jonathan N. Little

Timothy Ace Holleran wrote:
> As the gang says, forget the "layers" crap.

About the only useful bit in your message, to reiterate what others have
already said. Now the top-posting and lack of trimming....

> Try <div style="border: 2px red solid;>[Put text and pictures in this
> container]</div>

Inline style may be useful for a short demo example in Usenet, but in
application on your page better to add styling in a stylesheet rather
than pepper your markup with style attributes

..framed { border: 2px solid red; }

> To pisition div's on a page, learn all about tables from
> any good html help site, such as http://htmlgoodies.com/tutorials/tables/ .
> Use empty table cells to place other cells roughly where you want them. You
> can lear this in a couple of days.

Ah, yes reference a tutorial that is circa 1995 to a newbie!

To OP this not a good way to start out. In most cases one does *not*
need each element to be precisely position on the page because you do
not know what the page size is! Better to make you page flexible and
adjust the layout to fit whatever your visitor's window is at the time.
Only use positioning when it is critical to the design and even then
many times there are ways to still make the design flexible.

Try the tutorials at www.htmldog.com. They are a bit more contemporary.

> Ace in CT

Signatures prefaced with two hyphens a space followed by a carriage
return are preferred as decent newsreaders will remove the signature in