Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Downloaded software which to open?

Downloaded software which to open?

JWBH

I'm trying to download an 'incoming email remover' program (in case someone
sends me a massive file i dont want and it jams up my pc).

When I do a download of this email remover program and save to a folder,
when i then click on it; it doesn't run the program, but just gives me a
list of its contents. There are three EXE files amongst twelve or so other
files in the list. To get it going do I try to open these? I've no idea
which ones to chose. Thanks for any advice.

DL

There are simpler methods of removing / not downloading an email, and since
your ISP has a web interface you have one obvious solution, without
resorting to whatever crap you are trying to install, which may well infest
your PC

"JWBH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:G0d8i.7429$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to download an 'incoming email remover' program (in case

someone
> sends me a massive file i dont want and it jams up my pc).
>
> When I do a download of this email remover program and save to a folder,
> when i then click on it; it doesn't run the program, but just gives me a
> list of its contents. There are three EXE files amongst twelve or so

other
> files in the list. To get it going do I try to open these? I've no idea
> which ones to chose. Thanks for any advice.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

JWBH wrote:
> I'm trying to download an 'incoming email remover' program (in case someone
> sends me a massive file i dont want and it jams up my pc).
>
> When I do a download of this email remover program and save to a folder,
> when i then click on it; it doesn't run the program, but just gives me a
> list of its contents. There are three EXE files amongst twelve or so other
> files in the list. To get it going do I try to open these? I've no idea
> which ones to chose. Thanks for any advice.

Would it be an inconvenience to mention which program it is?

why?

x-post to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,24hoursupport.h elpdesk
trimmed to 24hoursupport.helpdesk

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 12:03:50 GMT, JWBH wrote:

Why post to windowsxp.general? Perhaps is't Win XP you are running, one
can only guess.

>I'm trying to download an 'incoming email remover' program (in case someone
>sends me a massive file i dont want and it jams up my pc).

The same guessing applies to the program name you are tyring to
download.

So use AvirMail, Poppy for Windows or 1 of the many other pop3 monitor
utls.

>When I do a download of this email remover program and save to a folder,
>when i then click on it; it doesn't run the program, but just gives me a

So it's a zip (or generic compressed) file and it's opeened up the zip,
to show you the contents and you haven't read any of the notes on what
to do next.

>list of its contents. There are three EXE files amongst twelve or so other
>files in the list. To get it going do I try to open these? I've no idea
>which ones to chose. Thanks for any advice.

Generally extract the files into a temp folder, run the setup.

Me

Vanguard

"JWBH" wrote in message news:G0d8i.7429$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm trying to download an 'incoming email remover' program (in case
> someone sends me a massive file i dont want and it jams up my pc).
>
> When I do a download of this email remover program and save to a
> folder, when i then click on it; it doesn't run the program, but just
> gives me a list of its contents. There are three EXE files amongst
> twelve or so other files in the list. To get it going do I try to
> open these? I've no idea which ones to chose. Thanks for any
> advice.

So why are you hiding which e-mail program that you use? Why not
configure it, if it has the option, to NOT download items over N bytes
in size? You will still get the headers to determine who sent you that
huge mail and can then decide to mark that message to get it downloaded.