Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Where can I find the help I need ? Can you help ?

Where can I find the help I need ? Can you help ?

penang@catholic.org

Hello, all !

I started a "computer recycling project" in my church. What we do is
to collect all the old computers that people donated, open them up,
remove all the dust and grimes inside, check the parts, and then try
our best to make "new" (aka reconditioned, restored, etc.) computers
out of the still-usable parts. Then we pass those working computers to
people/organizations that can put them to good use.

The project itself is fun and very fulfilling, but there's one thing
that bug me the most - many times we have computer parts (pci cards,
mobos, etc) that are totally usable but we can't find suitable drivers
for them !

There are times we have pci cards that don't have any label. By
reading the chips, and the ports, we can guess what type of cards they
are, but we are never sure.

Essentially what I am looking for is a utility that can "scan" all the
pci cards, be it soundcard, video card, or whatever, and give me their
make and/or model number. That way, at least I'd know which driver I
need.

Is there such a utility around that we can use?

Another thing is that the computers we got are all ANCIENT computers,
and sometimes so ancient that the manufacturers no longer exist. Where
can I find drivers for such devices ?

Please accept my sincerest thanks in advance, for any suggestions that
you can offer. Thanks again, and God Bless !

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

> Hello, all !
>
> I started a "computer recycling project" in my church. What we do is
> to collect all the old computers that people donated, open them up,
> remove all the dust and grimes inside, check the parts, and then try
> our best to make "new" (aka reconditioned, restored, etc.) computers
> out of the still-usable parts. Then we pass those working computers to
> people/organizations that can put them to good use.
>
> The project itself is fun and very fulfilling, but there's one thing
> that bug me the most - many times we have computer parts (pci cards,
> mobos, etc) that are totally usable but we can't find suitable drivers
> for them !
>
> There are times we have pci cards that don't have any label. By
> reading the chips, and the ports, we can guess what type of cards they
> are, but we are never sure.
>
> Essentially what I am looking for is a utility that can "scan" all the
> pci cards, be it soundcard, video card, or whatever, and give me their
> make and/or model number. That way, at least I'd know which driver I
> need.
>
> Is there such a utility around that we can use?
>
> Another thing is that the computers we got are all ANCIENT computers,
> and sometimes so ancient that the manufacturers no longer exist. Where
> can I find drivers for such devices ?
>
> Please accept my sincerest thanks in advance, for any suggestions that
> you can offer. Thanks again, and God Bless !

Crossposting snipped. Everest.
http://www.lavalys.com/

why?

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 00:19:40 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

x-posting to
Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.win98.apps,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundc ard.misc,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.w in98.gen_discussion,alt.computer.drivers.wanted
snipped to
Newsgroups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

>Hello, all !
>
>I started a "computer recycling project" in my church. What we do is
>to collect all the old computers that people donated, open them up,
>remove all the dust and grimes inside, check the parts, and then try
>our best to make "new" (aka reconditioned, restored, etc.) computers
>out of the still-usable parts. Then we pass those working computers to
>people/organizations that can put them to good use.
>
>The project itself is fun and very fulfilling, but there's one thing
>that bug me the most - many times we have computer parts (pci cards,
>mobos, etc) that are totally usable but we can't find suitable drivers
>for them !
>
>There are times we have pci cards that don't have any label. By
>reading the chips, and the ports, we can guess what type of cards they
>are, but we are never sure.
>
>Essentially what I am looking for is a utility that can "scan" all the
>pci cards, be it soundcard, video card, or whatever, and give me their
>make and/or model number. That way, at least I'd know which driver I
>need.

Mentioned several times in 24HSHD
www.pcitree.de , download and install and download the updated text
file.

Everest as mentioned.

Belarc

Looking up the FCC ID

Search 24HSHD
http://groups.google.com/group/24hou...elpdesk/topics

>Is there such a utility around that we can use?
>
>Another thing is that the computers we got are all ANCIENT computers,
>and sometimes so ancient that the manufacturers no longer exist. Where
>can I find drivers for such devices ?

Again search 24HSHD, www.driverguide.com

Without a search a guess would be to find other organisations even
commercial that recycle PCs and get together.

<snip>

Me

-Art-

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 00:19:40 -0700, penang wrote:

> Hello, all !
>
> I started a "computer recycling project" in my church. What we do is to
> collect all the old computers that people donated, open them up, remove
> all the dust and grimes inside, check the parts, and then try our best
> to make "new" (aka reconditioned, restored, etc.) computers out of the
> still-usable parts. Then we pass those working computers to
> people/organizations that can put them to good use.
>
> The project itself is fun and very fulfilling, but there's one thing
> that bug me the most - many times we have computer parts (pci cards,
> mobos, etc) that are totally usable but we can't find suitable drivers
> for them !
>
> There are times we have pci cards that don't have any label. By reading
> the chips, and the ports, we can guess what type of cards they are, but
> we are never sure.
>
> Essentially what I am looking for is a utility that can "scan" all the
> pci cards, be it soundcard, video card, or whatever, and give me their
> make and/or model number. That way, at least I'd know which driver I
> need.
>
> Is there such a utility around that we can use?
>
> Another thing is that the computers we got are all ANCIENT computers,
> and sometimes so ancient that the manufacturers no longer exist. Where
> can I find drivers for such devices ?
>
> Please accept my sincerest thanks in advance, for any suggestions that
> you can offer. Thanks again, and God Bless !

have you consider using a linux distro, generally has good hardware
support.....

--
-Art- (not Art)-Art-

Alfred

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 00:19:40 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hello, all !
>
>I started a "computer recycling project" in my church. What we do is
>to collect all the old computers that people donated, open them up,
>remove all the dust and grimes inside, check the parts, and then try
>our best to make "new" (aka reconditioned, restored, etc.) computers
>out of the still-usable parts. Then we pass those working computers to
>people/organizations that can put them to good use.
>
>The project itself is fun and very fulfilling, but there's one thing
>that bug me the most - many times we have computer parts (pci cards,
>mobos, etc) that are totally usable but we can't find suitable drivers
>for them !
>
>There are times we have pci cards that don't have any label. By
>reading the chips, and the ports, we can guess what type of cards they
>are, but we are never sure.
>
>Essentially what I am looking for is a utility that can "scan" all the
>pci cards, be it soundcard, video card, or whatever, and give me their
>make and/or model number. That way, at least I'd know which driver I
>need.
>
>Is there such a utility around that we can use?
>
>Another thing is that the computers we got are all ANCIENT computers,
>and sometimes so ancient that the manufacturers no longer exist. Where
>can I find drivers for such devices ?
>
>Please accept my sincerest thanks in advance, for any suggestions that
>you can offer. Thanks again, and God Bless !

try putting a linux operating system on them.

mark

Or you can buy a volume licensing key from MS for i think about $150.
From the sounds of it, you are a non-profit organization? Use it for a
tax write-off. You might be able to get the church to back you on it
and get the funding through the church. Buy one single volume license
and run with it.

On Jun 2, 11:56 pm, Alfred <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 00:19:40 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> >Hello, all !

> >I started a "computer recycling project" in my church. What we do is
> >to collect all the old computers that people donated, open them up,
> >remove all the dust and grimes inside, check the parts, and then try
> >our best to make "new" (aka reconditioned, restored, etc.) computers
> >out of the still-usable parts. Then we pass those working computers to
> >people/organizations that can put them to good use.

> >The project itself is fun and very fulfilling, but there's one thing
> >that bug me the most - many times we have computer parts (pci cards,
> >mobos, etc) that are totally usable but we can't find suitable drivers
> >for them !

> >There are times we have pci cards that don't have any label. By
> >reading the chips, and the ports, we can guess what type of cards they
> >are, but we are never sure.

> >Essentially what I am looking for is a utility that can "scan" all the
> >pci cards, be it soundcard, video card, or whatever, and give me their
> >make and/or model number. That way, at least I'd know which driver I
> >need.

> >Is there such a utility around that we can use?

> >Another thing is that the computers we got are all ANCIENT computers,
> >and sometimes so ancient that the manufacturers no longer exist. Where
> >can I find drivers for such devices ?

> >Please accept my sincerest thanks in advance, for any suggestions that
> >you can offer. Thanks again, and God Bless !

> try putting a linux operating system on them.

I tried that, but the same old driver missing problem that I have on
Windows only worse on Linux side. That's why I switch back to Win98.

penang@catholic.org

On Jun 4, 12:09 am, mark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Or you can buy a volume licensing key from MS for i think about $150.
> From the sounds of it, you are a non-profit organization? Use it for a
> tax write-off. You might be able to get the church to back you on it
> and get the funding through the church. Buy one single volume license
> and run with it.

What I am doing does not even qualify as a "non-profit organization",
for it's a one-man show. Besides the OS, all other software that I
installed are open-sourced and/or freewares, such as Open Office,
Scribus, Photo Filtre and so on.

I've tried to install Linux on the machines, but the missing driver
problem got only worse. There are times I can find windows drivers for
the cards, but there's nothing on the LInux side (perhaps I just don't
know where to look).

Anyway, thanks to you and to all for your suggestions/ideas. Thanks
again and God Bless !

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > Hello, all !

> > I started a "computer recycling project" in my church. What we do is
> > to collect all the old computers that people donated, open them up,
> > remove all the dust and grimes inside, check the parts, and then try
> > our best to make "new" (aka reconditioned, restored, etc.) computers
> > out of the still-usable parts. Then we pass those working computers to
> > people/organizations that can put them to good use.

> > The project itself is fun and very fulfilling, but there's one thing
> > that bug me the most - many times we have computer parts (pci cards,
> > mobos, etc) that are totally usable but we can't find suitable drivers
> > for them !

> > There are times we have pci cards that don't have any label. By
> > reading the chips, and the ports, we can guess what type of cards they
> > are, but we are never sure.

> > Essentially what I am looking for is a utility that can "scan" all the
> > pci cards, be it soundcard, video card, or whatever, and give me their
> > make and/or model number. That way, at least I'd know which driver I
> > need.

> > Is there such a utility around that we can use?

> > Another thing is that the computers we got are all ANCIENT computers,
> > and sometimes so ancient that the manufacturers no longer exist. Where
> > can I find drivers for such devices ?

> > Please accept my sincerest thanks in advance, for any suggestions that
> > you can offer. Thanks again, and God Bless !

mark

i had one more idea. do a search on google for the make and model of
the system and see if you can find some information about what MIGHT be
on that system. It's a bit of a long shot and time consuming, which
stinks, but it might get you to the ultimate goal.