Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > HTML > Largest site ever? The Encyclopedia of Life

Reply
Thread Tools

Largest site ever? The Encyclopedia of Life

 
 
cwdjrxyz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-02-2007
The Encyclopedia of Life is to be a web resource that will describe
all 1.8 known living things on earth and the many more likely to be
found in the future. This is a massive undertaking that involves many
universities etc. Information and a few demo pages are now up on at
http://www.eol.org/ . Go to the demo pages to see what it will look
like. The demo pages are not complete, and many links on them are
still to be added. It likely will be sometime in 2008 before a many
finished pages start to appear. Code could change a lot, but at this
early stage it appears this massive site will use flash for video
rather than a Microsoft or Real format. First Real lost many sites to
Microsoft. Now many huge sites have changed from Microsoft to flash.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
rf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-02-2007

"cwdjrxyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> The Encyclopedia of Life is to be a web resource that will describe
> all 1.8 known living things on earth


Wow. Only .2 more living things required and we will have a pair


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
cwdjrxyz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-02-2007
On Jun 2, 12:11 am, "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "cwdjrxyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
> > The Encyclopedia of Life is to be a web resource that will describe
> > all 1.8 known living things on earth

>
> Wow. Only .2 more living things required and we will have a pair


A few more - about 1.8 million. . Some think quite a few more will
be found, especially in the deep sea, fungus family members, etc.

 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-02-2007
In article
<(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
cwdjrxyz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Jun 2, 12:11 am, "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > "cwdjrxyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >
> > > The Encyclopedia of Life is to be a web resource that will describe
> > > all 1.8 known living things on earth

> >
> > Wow. Only .2 more living things required and we will have a pair

>
> A few more - about 1.8 million. . Some think quite a few more will
> be found, especially in the deep sea, fungus family members, etc.


Sounds good. Last time I looked at http://www.eol.org/ I wondered
yet again how the message that is so cogently given on this
neswgroup by many knowledgeable people is so muffled to the
outside world in respect to web authoring, lets start with the
doc type used! Or is there some plan being formed by the website
author that requires that particular one at this stage?

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
rf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-02-2007

"cwdjrxyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Jun 2, 12:11 am, "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "cwdjrxyz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>
>> > The Encyclopedia of Life is to be a web resource that will describe
>> > all 1.8 known living things on earth

>>
>> Wow. Only .2 more living things required and we will have a pair

>
> A few more - about 1.8 million. . Some think quite a few more will
> be found, especially in the deep sea, fungus family members, etc.
>


cwdjrxyz, look at your OP again. Nowhere in there is the word 'million'
mentioned. You mised the <tongue position="cheek"> bit of my post.

In any case IIRC 1.8M is rather conservative.

--
Richard.


 
Reply With Quote
 
rf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-02-2007

"dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:doraymeRidThis-851BFF.17022202062007@news-

> Sounds good. Last time I looked at http://www.eol.org/ I wondered
> yet again how the message that is so cogently given on this
> neswgroup by many knowledgeable people is so muffled to the
> outside world in respect to web authoring, lets start with the
> doc type used! Or is there some plan being formed by the website
> author that requires that particular one at this stage?


Horses, water, consumption thereof

--
Richard.


 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-02-2007
In article <ig98i.7688$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> cwdjrxyz, look at your OP again. Nowhere in there is the word 'million'
> mentioned. You mised the <tongue position="cheek"> bit of my post.


Why do you think he missed your point? He corrected the slight
omission.

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-02-2007
In article <Xg98i.7689$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:doraymeRidThis-851BFF.17022202062007@news-
>
> > Sounds good. Last time I looked at http://www.eol.org/ I wondered
> > yet again how the message that is so cogently given on this
> > neswgroup by many knowledgeable people is so muffled to the
> > outside world in respect to web authoring, lets start with the
> > doc type used! Or is there some plan being formed by the website
> > author that requires that particular one at this stage?

>
> Horses, water, consumption thereof


?

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
rf
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-02-2007

"dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <Xg98i.7689$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:doraymeRidThis-851BFF.17022202062007@news-
>>
>> > Sounds good. Last time I looked at http://www.eol.org/ I wondered
>> > yet again how the message that is so cogently given on this
>> > neswgroup by many knowledgeable people is so muffled to the
>> > outside world in respect to web authoring, lets start with the
>> > doc type used! Or is there some plan being formed by the website
>> > author that requires that particular one at this stage?

>>
>> Horses, water, consumption thereof

>
> ?


<sigh>

You can lead a horse to...


 
Reply With Quote
 
dorayme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-02-2007
In article <KF98i.7702$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In article <Xg98i.7689$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > "rf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >> "dorayme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:doraymeRidThis-851BFF.17022202062007@news-
> >>
> >> > Sounds good. Last time I looked at http://www.eol.org/ I wondered
> >> > yet again how the message that is so cogently given on this
> >> > neswgroup by many knowledgeable people is so muffled to the
> >> > outside world in respect to web authoring, lets start with the
> >> > doc type used! Or is there some plan being formed by the website
> >> > author that requires that particular one at this stage?
> >>
> >> Horses, water, consumption thereof

> >
> > ?

>
> <sigh>
>
> You can lead a horse to...


I will now be proceeding to my backyard, I don't care how cold
and dark it is, and thumping my head with a nice hefty bit of 4"
by 2" hardwood. It is late in the day. Don't give up on me rf -
just yet!

But, recovering, let me say, no I don't think you are right. I
don't think on this one, the horses are being _led_ at all. They
are just bolting all over the paddocks, the fences in disrepair
and they go just about anywhere they like.

--
dorayme
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Worlds Largest Photo and Worlds Largest Camera... Somebody Digital Photography 1 08-16-2007 02:51 AM
Voip Encyclopedia (February Edition) jonbonmike@gmail.com UK VOIP 0 02-01-2007 01:43 AM
Voip Encyclopedia (February Edition) jonbonmike@gmail.com Cisco 0 02-01-2007 01:41 AM
is there an encyclopedia of software concepts? Stephen Ferg Python 4 07-17-2004 07:46 PM



Advertisments