Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > CISCO CATALYST 3560 Slow file opening

CISCO CATALYST 3560 Slow file opening

Igor Pinchevskiy

Hello,

I have installed a new Cisco Catalyst 3560 Switch at the main office,
we have 5 more remote branches that connect via full point to point T1
Lines, after the new swtich was installed it takes probably 2 or 3
minutes to open an excel file with a size of 900Kb at a remote
location. QOS was enabled but not configured on the router and at that
time it would take 5 minutes to open or save an excel file with a size
of 900kb. Is there another setting that could be changed, currently
the two routers that connect the remote offices are connected directly
to the switch and trunking is enabled on those ports. I am new to
swtiches but not routers and just don't know what else I can do to
speed things up at the remote offices. Any help or advice is greatly
appreciated!

Thank you in advance!
Igor Pinchevskiy

Trendkill

On Jun 1, 10:26 pm, Igor Pinchevskiy <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have installed a new Cisco Catalyst 3560 Switch at the main office,
> we have 5 more remote branches that connect via full point to point T1
> Lines, after the new swtich was installed it takes probably 2 or 3
> minutes to open an excel file with a size of 900Kb at a remote
> location. QOS was enabled but not configured on the router and at that
> time it would take 5 minutes to open or save an excel file with a size
> of 900kb. Is there another setting that could be changed, currently
> the two routers that connect the remote offices are connected directly
> to the switch and trunking is enabled on those ports. I am new to
> swtiches but not routers and just don't know what else I can do to
> speed things up at the remote offices. Any help or advice is greatly
> appreciated!
>
> Thank you in advance!
> Igor Pinchevskiy

I have a really hard time believing this is the router/switch and not
the application you are using. Is this simply a windows share where
you are opening, updating, and saving a file? If so, the times you
are talking about are completely related to the application layer and
not the network. While you wont get a full 192 kilobytes on a t1, you
should at least get 180, and downloading a 900 kb file should take
5-10 seconds. Try a ftp and see what kind of speeds you get to
verify. If this ends up showing you getting 150-190k, then your
problem is your application, not a WAN link.

Lastly, this is definitely not a switch problem. 3560s have gig, and
the problem you describe is wan based, or application based...period.

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
Igor Pinchevskiy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have installed a new Cisco Catalyst 3560 Switch at the main office,
>we have 5 more remote branches that connect via full point to point T1
>Lines, after the new swtich was installed it takes probably 2 or 3
>minutes to open an excel file with a size of 900Kb at a remote
>location. QOS was enabled but not configured on the router and at that
>time it would take 5 minutes to open or save an excel file with a size
>of 900kb.

Check for duplex mismatches.

Trendkill

On Jun 2, 2:31 am, (E-Mail Removed) (Walter Roberson) wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> Igor Pinchevskiy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I have installed a new Cisco Catalyst 3560 Switch at the main office,
> >we have 5 more remote branches that connect via full point to point T1
> >Lines, after the new swtich was installed it takes probably 2 or 3
> >minutes to open an excel file with a size of 900Kb at a remote
> >location. QOS was enabled but not configured on the router and at that
> >time it would take 5 minutes to open or save an excel file with a size
> >of 900kb.

> Check for duplex mismatches.

Ahh forgive my assumption. If this is slow for LAN clients, then
Walter is of course on the right track. I made a probably bad
assumption that this was your 5 remote sites.

Igor Pinchevskiy

Thank you guys for all of your inputs!!!

Trendkill, you were right it was an application issue. Symantec AV,
once I excluded the xls and doc extensions everything started working
like it was. I didn't realize that we switch to symantec and that this
could cause this issue. Once again thank you all!!!