Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > Microsoft Certification > Do I have to take 292 & 296 can I take the 4 cores instead?

Do I have to take 292 & 296 can I take the 4 cores instead?

=?Utf-8?B?SmltIEhvbGxvd2F5?=

I see I can take the 70-292 and 70-296 to upgrade my MCSE 2000 to MCSE 2003,
but I wanted to know if I could take the 70-290, 70-291, 70-293 & 70-294
instead of taking the other two condensed courses (292 & 296)?

Jim

Michael Dragone

As far as I know, to upgrade you have to take the specific *upgrade* exams.

I'm sure you can certainly follow the entire 2003 track if you wish.

"Jim Holloway" <Jim http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I see I can take the 70-292 and 70-296 to upgrade my MCSE 2000 to MCSE
>2003,
> but I wanted to know if I could take the 70-290, 70-291, 70-293 & 70-294
> instead of taking the other two condensed courses (292 & 296)?
>
> Jim

John R

"Jim Holloway" <Jim (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I see I can take the 70-292 and 70-296 to upgrade my MCSE 2000 to MCSE
>2003,
> but I wanted to know if I could take the 70-290, 70-291, 70-293 & 70-294
> instead of taking the other two condensed courses (292 & 296)?
>
> Jim

You can take 290, 291, 293, and 294
You can take 290, 291, and 296
You can take 292, 293, and 294
You can take 292 and 296

Take you choice, all of those will get you there.

Beware, 292 and 296 will retire in March/2008. So if you want to use either
of those, get them in before that.

John R

Montreal MCT

Jim, I am afraid John is wrong. You are not eligible to take 70-292 unless
you are an MCSA on Windows 2000, and you are not eligible to take 70-296
unless you are an MCSE on Windows 2000. These exams are not in lieu of
anything unless you have the certifications that you are upgrading from.

And for the record, I have taken 70-292... I do not understand why you would
possibly actually OPT to take an upgrade exam if you didn't have to... they
are TOUGH!

Good luck though!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jim Holloway" <Jim (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I see I can take the 70-292 and 70-296 to upgrade my MCSE 2000 to MCSE
>>2003,
>> but I wanted to know if I could take the 70-290, 70-291, 70-293 & 70-294
>> instead of taking the other two condensed courses (292 & 296)?
>>
>> Jim

> You can take 290, 291, 293, and 294
> You can take 290, 291, and 296
> You can take 292, 293, and 294
> You can take 292 and 296
>
> Take you choice, all of those will get you there.
>
> Beware, 292 and 296 will retire in March/2008. So if you want to use
> either of those, get them in before that.
>
> John R

John R

"Montreal MCT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jim, I am afraid John is wrong. You are not eligible to take 70-292
> unless you are an MCSA on Windows 2000, and you are not eligible to take
> 70-296 unless you are an MCSE on Windows 2000. These exams are not in
> lieu of anything unless you have the certifications that you are upgrading
> from.
>
> And for the record, I have taken 70-292... I do not understand why you
> would possibly actually OPT to take an upgrade exam if you didn't have
> to... they are TOUGH!
>
> Good luck though!

I have a tremendous amount of respect for Montreal MCT and I would trust him
implicitly, but with all due respect, I believe I am correct. At least, I
am as correct as my certification planner which shows it that way. It shows
that you can take 70-292 if you are MCSA 2000 or MCSE 2000 to satisfy
'Upgrade 1' requirements. I checked that before I posted, and I just
checked it again. I can post a pic if you like. Of course, you do have to
have MCSE 2000 to take 70-296. Jim stated that he did have MCSE 2000.

Further, this is from the MCSE 2003 requirements page...
"Networking: An MCSE on Windows 2000 has the option to take only Exams
70-292 and 70-296 instead of all four core network exams; however, an MCSE
on Windows 2000 can elect to take all four core network exams."

However, since there is now a question about it, maybe Jim should actually
contact Microsoft mcphelp. Montreal may certainly know something that I
don't.

I would appreciate a follow-up Jim if you do because the last thing I want
to do is give out incorrect information.

Thanks

John R

Montreal MCT

Ok I completely misread Jim's post. I have reread it, and here is the
answer:

In order to do the non-upgrade path you will have to make sure that your
electives meet the complete criteria for the 2003 credentials. That is:
Your electives for MCSA qualify as electives for MCSA 2003, and your design
& electives for MCSE fulfill the requirements for MCSE 2003.

Sorry John, I completely misread Jim's original post (it was none too clear)
so yours couldn't have made sense to me. My understanding was that he was
starting from ZERO and wanted to take each of those upgrade exams in place
of the full out ones.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Montreal MCT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Jim, I am afraid John is wrong. You are not eligible to take 70-292
>> unless you are an MCSA on Windows 2000, and you are not eligible to take
>> 70-296 unless you are an MCSE on Windows 2000. These exams are not in
>> lieu of anything unless you have the certifications that you are
>> upgrading from.
>>
>> And for the record, I have taken 70-292... I do not understand why you
>> would possibly actually OPT to take an upgrade exam if you didn't have
>> to... they are TOUGH!
>>
>> Good luck though!

> I have a tremendous amount of respect for Montreal MCT and I would trust
> him implicitly, but with all due respect, I believe I am correct. At
> least, I am as correct as my certification planner which shows it that
> way. It shows that you can take 70-292 if you are MCSA 2000 or MCSE 2000
> to satisfy 'Upgrade 1' requirements. I checked that before I posted, and
> I just checked it again. I can post a pic if you like. Of course, you do
> have to have MCSE 2000 to take 70-296. Jim stated that he did have MCSE
> 2000.
>
> Further, this is from the MCSE 2003 requirements page...
> "Networking: An MCSE on Windows 2000 has the option to take only Exams
> 70-292 and 70-296 instead of all four core network exams; however, an MCSE
> on Windows 2000 can elect to take all four core network exams."
>
> However, since there is now a question about it, maybe Jim should actually
> contact Microsoft mcphelp. Montreal may certainly know something that I
> don't.
>
> I would appreciate a follow-up Jim if you do because the last thing I want
> to do is give out incorrect information.
>
> Thanks
>
> John R

John R

"Montreal MCT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok I completely misread Jim's post. I have reread it, and here is the
> answer:
>
> In order to do the non-upgrade path you will have to make sure that your
> electives meet the complete criteria for the 2003 credentials. That is:
> Your electives for MCSA qualify as electives for MCSA 2003, and your
> design & electives for MCSE fulfill the requirements for MCSE 2003.
>
> Sorry John, I completely misread Jim's original post (it was none too
> clear) so yours couldn't have made sense to me. My understanding was that
> he was starting from ZERO and wanted to take each of those upgrade exams
> in place of the full out ones.

No Problem Montreal, just glad to hear that I wasn't crazy. You had me
worried there for a while

Yes, if he was in fact starting from zero, then I would have been totally
incorrect.

And as to the electives, the MCSE 2000 credential itself satisfies the
elective requirement for both MCSA 2003 and MCSE 2003. The only thing that
is required to get from MCSE 2000 to MCSE 2003 is the upgrades to the core
elements, that is (290+291 or 292), and (293+294 or 296).

John R

Passing 70-292 and 70-296 Mudit Microsoft Certification 11 06-01-2005 01:09 PM
70-292 70-296 e MCSD 0 12-16-2003 10:31 AM
70-292 70-296 e Microsoft Certification 0 12-16-2003 10:30 AM
70-292 & 70-296 Jayce Evans Microsoft Certification 1 07-25-2003 11:18 PM
70-292 70-296 Sebke MCSE 1 07-05-2003 10:22 AM

Advertisments