Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > X64Pro becomes unstable w open office

X64Pro becomes unstable w open office

Pesistent

I thought I would share this experience with you all since it took me
a while to discover the problem. I have been using Open Office for
months with no problem. Suddenly I could no longer open existing files
or create new ones. It would go into a file recovery mode, recover a
bogus file, send an error message to OO and start all over.

I un-installed OO and reinstalled it with no change. I did a complete
cleanup including removing directories, old files, registry entries,
etc. Then I discovered I could not print from other applications, such
as Firefox. I checked the printer icon and I could not access
properties.

I finally deleted the printer drivers, and reinstalled them. Then I
reinstalled OO and it all works again. OO and other word processors
need to know what printer is being used before it can format files to
match that printer. Unfortunately is intolerant of the printer driver
not being there and goes into this funky mode. I sent them a note.
They need to do some defensive programing so that the application
still runs without a printer and gives an appropriate error message
that makes sense.

The message of this post is that the cause of a trouble is not always
what it seems. Hope this helps someone avoid similar problems.
Vic

Theo

Win XP Pro x64 does not become unstable with Open Office. I
have been using Open Office in Win x64 for a long time, at
least 2 years, and I have never encountered any problem with
it. After reading your post below I opened several
different files, power point, word, and open office doc. I
did not experience any problem opening the files nor
printing the files.

So, you may have a problem with your computer, but it's not
necessarily Win x64 causing the problem. You may even have
a hardware problem; defective hard drives and/or memory can
give symptoms like you state.

Without a debugger to give you some feedback, it is pure
speculation on your part to assume that Open Office is
responsible for your problems.

Pesistent wrote:
> I thought I would share this experience with you all since it took me
> a while to discover the problem. I have been using Open Office for
> months with no problem. Suddenly I could no longer open existing files
> or create new ones. It would go into a file recovery mode, recover a
> bogus file, send an error message to OO and start all over.
>
> I un-installed OO and reinstalled it with no change. I did a complete
> cleanup including removing directories, old files, registry entries,
> etc. Then I discovered I could not print from other applications, such
> as Firefox. I checked the printer icon and I could not access
> properties.
>
> I finally deleted the printer drivers, and reinstalled them. Then I
> reinstalled OO and it all works again. OO and other word processors
> need to know what printer is being used before it can format files to
> match that printer. Unfortunately is intolerant of the printer driver
> not being there and goes into this funky mode. I sent them a note.
> They need to do some defensive programing so that the application
> still runs without a printer and gives an appropriate error message
> that makes sense.
>
> The message of this post is that the cause of a trouble is not always
> what it seems. Hope this helps someone avoid similar problems.
> Vic

Pesistent

On Jun 1, 10:07 am, Theo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Win XP Pro x64 does not become unstable with Open Office. I
> have been using Open Office in Win x64 for a long time, at
> least 2 years, and I have never encountered any problem with
> it. After reading your post below I opened several
> different files, power point, word, and open office doc. I
> did not experience any problem opening the files nor
> printing the files.
>
> So, you may have a problem with your computer, but it's not
> necessarily Win x64 causing the problem. You may even have
> a hardware problem; defective hard drives and/or memory can
> give symptoms like you state.
>
> Without a debugger to give you some feedback, it is pure
> speculation on your part to assume that Open Office is
> responsible for your problems.
>
> Pesistent wrote:
> > I thought I would share this experience with you all since it took me
> > a while to discover the problem. I have been using Open Office for
> > months with no problem. Suddenly I could no longer open existing files
> > or create new ones. It would go into a file recovery mode, recover a
> > bogus file, send an error message to OO and start all over.

> > I un-installed OO and reinstalled it with no change. I did a complete
> > cleanup including removing directories, old files, registry entries,
> > etc. Then I discovered I could not print from other applications, such
> > as Firefox. I checked the printer icon and I could not access
> > properties.

> > I finally deleted the printer drivers, and reinstalled them. Then I
> > reinstalled OO and it all works again. OO and other word processors
> > need to know what printer is being used before it can format files to
> > match that printer. Unfortunately is intolerant of the printer driver
> > not being there and goes into this funky mode. I sent them a note.
> > They need to do some defensive programing so that the application
> > still runs without a printer and gives an appropriate error message
> > that makes sense.

> > The message of this post is that the cause of a trouble is not always
> > what it seems. Hope this helps someone avoid similar problems.
> > Vic

Read the post again. OO became unstable because of a problem with the
printer software.

miso@sushi.com

On Jun 1, 10:07 am, Theo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Win XP Pro x64 does not become unstable with Open Office. I
> have been using Open Office in Win x64 for a long time, at
> least 2 years, and I have never encountered any problem with
> it. After reading your post below I opened several
> different files, power point, word, and open office doc. I
> did not experience any problem opening the files nor
> printing the files.
>
> So, you may have a problem with your computer, but it's not
> necessarily Win x64 causing the problem. You may even have
> a hardware problem; defective hard drives and/or memory can
> give symptoms like you state.
>
> Without a debugger to give you some feedback, it is pure
> speculation on your part to assume that Open Office is
> responsible for your problems.
>
> Pesistent wrote:
> > I thought I would share this experience with you all since it took me
> > a while to discover the problem. I have been using Open Office for
> > months with no problem. Suddenly I could no longer open existing files
> > or create new ones. It would go into a file recovery mode, recover a
> > bogus file, send an error message to OO and start all over.

> > I un-installed OO and reinstalled it with no change. I did a complete
> > cleanup including removing directories, old files, registry entries,
> > etc. Then I discovered I could not print from other applications, such
> > as Firefox. I checked the printer icon and I could not access
> > properties.

> > I finally deleted the printer drivers, and reinstalled them. Then I
> > reinstalled OO and it all works again. OO and other word processors
> > need to know what printer is being used before it can format files to
> > match that printer. Unfortunately is intolerant of the printer driver
> > not being there and goes into this funky mode. I sent them a note.
> > They need to do some defensive programing so that the application
> > still runs without a printer and gives an appropriate error message
> > that makes sense.

> > The message of this post is that the cause of a trouble is not always
> > what it seems. Hope this helps someone avoid similar problems.
> > Vic

I have posted many times that I have trouble with OO and X64. In fact,
it isn't working again at the moment. To be specific, calc is the
program that is a problem.

To be fair, I uninstalled it. I'll load it again and see what happens.

miso@sushi.com

On Jun 2, 11:44 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On Jun 1, 10:07 am, Theo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Win XP Pro x64 does not become unstable with Open Office. I
> > have been using Open Office in Win x64 for a long time, at
> > least 2 years, and I have never encountered any problem with
> > it. After reading your post below I opened several
> > different files, power point, word, and open office doc. I
> > did not experience any problem opening the files nor
> > printing the files.

> > So, you may have a problem with your computer, but it's not
> > necessarily Win x64 causing the problem. You may even have
> > a hardware problem; defective hard drives and/or memory can
> > give symptoms like you state.

> > Without a debugger to give you some feedback, it is pure
> > speculation on your part to assume that Open Office is
> > responsible for your problems.

> > Pesistent wrote:
> > > I thought I would share this experience with you all since it took me
> > > a while to discover the problem. I have been using Open Office for
> > > months with no problem. Suddenly I could no longer open existing files
> > > or create new ones. It would go into a file recovery mode, recover a
> > > bogus file, send an error message to OO and start all over.

> > > I un-installed OO and reinstalled it with no change. I did a complete
> > > cleanup including removing directories, old files, registry entries,
> > > etc. Then I discovered I could not print from other applications, such
> > > as Firefox. I checked the printer icon and I could not access
> > > properties.

> > > I finally deleted the printer drivers, and reinstalled them. Then I
> > > reinstalled OO and it all works again. OO and other word processors
> > > need to know what printer is being used before it can format files to
> > > match that printer. Unfortunately is intolerant of the printer driver
> > > not being there and goes into this funky mode. I sent them a note.
> > > They need to do some defensive programing so that the application
> > > still runs without a printer and gives an appropriate error message
> > > that makes sense.

> > > The message of this post is that the cause of a trouble is not always
> > > what it seems. Hope this helps someone avoid similar problems.
> > > Vic

> I have posted many times that I have trouble with OO and X64. In fact,
> it isn't working again at the moment. To be specific, calc is the
> program that is a problem.
>
> To be fair, I uninstalled it. I'll load it again and see what happens.

Calc still locks up.

Tony Sperling

Hi, Vic.

I think this is interesting - I don't believe you can blame OO for not
understanding printer drivers, this is not something a Windows program needs
to concern itself with. This rests solely with the OS and the GDI (Graphics
Device Interface?) This is the part that is responsible for the 'Device
Independency' that is at the heart of Windows. This doesn't have to mean
that OO isn't to blame, of course. They may have a 'bug' in the way they are
handling the GDI?

I think that instead of sending 'notes' that they may not understand, you
should file a bug report with OO - I'm sure that will be treated in a more
proper manner, since they do have an organisation to specifically deal with
that sort of thing.

Tony. . .

"Pesistent" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I thought I would share this experience with you all since it took me
> a while to discover the problem. I have been using Open Office for
> months with no problem. Suddenly I could no longer open existing files
> or create new ones. It would go into a file recovery mode, recover a
> bogus file, send an error message to OO and start all over.
>
> I un-installed OO and reinstalled it with no change. I did a complete
> cleanup including removing directories, old files, registry entries,
> etc. Then I discovered I could not print from other applications, such
> as Firefox. I checked the printer icon and I could not access
> properties.
>
> I finally deleted the printer drivers, and reinstalled them. Then I
> reinstalled OO and it all works again. OO and other word processors
> need to know what printer is being used before it can format files to
> match that printer. Unfortunately is intolerant of the printer driver
> not being there and goes into this funky mode. I sent them a note.
> They need to do some defensive programing so that the application
> still runs without a printer and gives an appropriate error message
> that makes sense.
>
> The message of this post is that the cause of a trouble is not always
> what it seems. Hope this helps someone avoid similar problems.
> Vic

Pesistent

On Jun 5, 8:03 am, "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hi, Vic.
>
> I think this is interesting - I don't believe you can blame OO for not
> understanding printer drivers, this is not something a Windows program needs
> to concern itself with. This rests solely with the OS and the GDI (Graphics
> Device Interface?) This is the part that is responsible for the 'Device
> Independency' that is at the heart of Windows. This doesn't have to mean
> that OO isn't to blame, of course. They may have a 'bug' in the way they are
> handling the GDI?
>
> I think that instead of sending 'notes' that they may not understand, you
> should file a bug report with OO - I'm sure that will be treated in a more
> proper manner, since they do have an organisation to specifically deal with
> that sort of thing.
>
> Tony. . .
>
> "Pesistent" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>
> > I thought I would share this experience with you all since it took me
> > a while to discover the problem. I have been using Open Office for
> > months with no problem. Suddenly I could no longer open existing files
> > or create new ones. It would go into a file recovery mode, recover a
> > bogus file, send an error message to OO and start all over.

> > I un-installed OO and reinstalled it with no change. I did a complete
> > cleanup including removing directories, old files, registry entries,
> > etc. Then I discovered I could not print from other applications, such
> > as Firefox. I checked the printer icon and I could not access
> > properties.

> > I finally deleted the printer drivers, and reinstalled them. Then I
> > reinstalled OO and it all works again. OO and other word processors
> > need to know what printer is being used before it can format files to
> > match that printer. Unfortunately is intolerant of the printer driver
> > not being there and goes into this funky mode. I sent them a note.
> > They need to do some defensive programing so that the application
> > still runs without a printer and gives an appropriate error message
> > that makes sense.

> > The message of this post is that the cause of a trouble is not always
> > what it seems. Hope this helps someone avoid similar problems.
> > Vic

Thanks for your input. My intent was not to blame OO or anyone else. I
love OO and use it all the time. My intent was to save others some
trouble shooting time if they encounter a similar problem.

I did generate a bug report with OO. My only point for them is that
when the printer driver is missing the OO software should handle the
situation more gracefully rather than just malfunction. You are
correct that it does need to know what the printer is to format the
files correctly. But one can design software so that when it
encounters a bad interface it does not just stop working.

I think you may be right that the OS should handle this kind of issue
better as well. I don't know who or how to report the problem to MS?
Vic