Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Best free and clean time sync program?

Best free and clean time sync program?

hmmm@hmnm.org

I found EZ Time Sync on Tucow's

http://www.tucows.com/start_dl/219295_91946_8920

and I know Karenware has one which I've used and like:

http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptsync.asp

Is there anything better and smaller, or should I just start the Windows
Time Service. I closed it as I like as few services open as possible.

hummingbird

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 08:45:47 -0500 '(E-Mail Removed)'
posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:

>I found EZ Time Sync on Tucow's
>
>http://www.tucows.com/start_dl/219295_91946_8920
>

>and I know Karenware has one which I've used and like:
>
>http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptsync.asp
>

>Is there anything better and smaller, or should I just start the Windows
>Time Service. I closed it as I like as few services open as possible.

I can't really see the point of installing/running a program to synch
time when it exists natively in Windows. You can always change the
list of optional time-servers if you want to.

--
I don't like doing this but...here's a list of people now killfiled
or mostly ignored by me on a.c.f. with immediate effect:

Q escapes being in my Hall of Fame for now because his lies
don't usually involve abuse. That may change.

hmmm@hmmm.org

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed) :

> I found EZ Time Sync on Tucow's
>
> http://www.tucows.com/start_dl/219295_91946_8920
>

> and I know Karenware has one which I've used and like:
>
> http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptsync.asp
>

> Is there anything better and smaller, or should I just start the Windows
> Time Service. I closed it as I like as few services open as possible.

Gizmo recommends:

http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/

and he has this for tray clock replacement
which also has a time adjustment:

http://www.alfaclock.com/default.html

Paul B

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 09:06:09 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Gizmo recommends:
>

> http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/

I'll second that.

p.

Susan Bugher

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I found EZ Time Sync on Tucow's
> http://www.tucows.com/start_dl/219295_91946_8920
>
> and I know Karenware has one which I've used and like:
> http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptsync.asp
>
> Is there anything better and smaller, <SNIP>

Neutron (6 KB). It's Pricelessware
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/200...RS.php#0498-PW

more apps:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf...meSynchronizer
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf...mesynchronizer

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://www.google.com/advanced_group....comp.freeware

K3

hummingbird wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 08:45:47 -0500 '(E-Mail Removed)'
> posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:
>
>> I found EZ Time Sync on Tucow's
>>
>> http://www.tucows.com/start_dl/219295_91946_8920
>>

>> and I know Karenware has one which I've used and like:
>>
>> http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptsync.asp
>>

>> Is there anything better and smaller, or should I just start the
>> Windows Time Service. I closed it as I like as few services open as
>> possible.

> I can't really see the point of installing/running a program to synch
> time when it exists natively in Windows. You can always change the
> list of optional time-servers if you want to.

Why run W32Time as a Service when one can run a small, no-install,
non-resident utility to update the system time at Boot?

Time Synchronizer 1.4 - http://www.itsamples.com/software/time.html
TimeSync 1.6 - http://home.mnet-online.de/horst.muc/wrem.htm#timesync

--
Kendall F. Stratton III
Fort Fairfield, Maine USA

"Support Bacteria - It's the only culture some people have!"

hummingbird

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 11:04:18 -0400 '"K3"
<k3(86_the_Spam)@maine.rr.com>'
posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:

>hummingbird wrote:
>> On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 08:45:47 -0500 '(E-Mail Removed)'
>> posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:
>>
>>> I found EZ Time Sync on Tucow's
>>>
>>> http://www.tucows.com/start_dl/219295_91946_8920
>>>

>>> and I know Karenware has one which I've used and like:
>>>
>>> http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptsync.asp
>>>

>>> Is there anything better and smaller, or should I just start the
>>> Windows Time Service. I closed it as I like as few services open as
>>> possible.

>> I can't really see the point of installing/running a program to synch
>> time when it exists natively in Windows. You can always change the
>> list of optional time-servers if you want to.

>Why run W32Time as a Service when one can run a small, no-install,
>non-resident utility to update the system time at Boot?

Surely you have to be online for them to synch, so that's not exactly
at Boot. But anyway, they both look quite good but I'm not sure what
the gain is unless you can run them as non-resident, else you have to
shut them down manually after a couple of mins of going online.

Honestly, it looks like 6 of one and a half dozen of the other to me.

>Time Synchronizer 1.4 - http://www.itsamples.com/software/time.html
>TimeSync 1.6 - http://home.mnet-online.de/horst.muc/wrem.htm#timesync

--
I don't like doing this but...here's a list of people now killfiled
or mostly ignored by me on a.c.f. with immediate effect:
John Corliss: No.1 troll, bully, ignorant liar, troublemaker,
projection artist, a wannabe "do as I say, not as I do" jerk.
Franklin: No.1 dishonest quack quack quack stalker, blusterer,
patronising poop-stirrer and 'me too' troll.

K3 wrote:

> Why run W32Time as a Service when one can run a small, no-install,
> non-resident utility to update the system time at Boot?

The apps you posted ARE small. . .

> Time Synchronizer 1.4 - http://www.itsamples.com/software/time.html

Time Synchronizer 1.4 (~44 KB ZIP)

> TimeSync 1.6 - http://home.mnet-online.de/horst.muc/wrem.htm#timesync

Download (28Kb)

but Neutron is smaller. . .
http://keir.net/neutron.html
Neutron 1.03 ZIP: 6K

Susan (small is beautiful)
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

hummingbird wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 11:04:18 -0400 '"K3"
> <k3(86_the_Spam)@maine.rr.com>'
> posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:
>>hummingbird wrote:

>>>I can't really see the point of installing/running a program to synch
>>>time when it exists natively in Windows. You can always change the
>>>list of optional time-servers if you want to.

>>Why run W32Time as a Service when one can run a small, no-install,
>>non-resident utility to update the system time at Boot?

> Surely you have to be online for them to synch, so that's not exactly
> at Boot. But anyway, they both look quite good but I'm not sure what
> the gain is unless you can run them as non-resident, else you have to
> shut them down manually after a couple of mins of going online.

That ain't necessarily so. . . I didn't check those particular
apps but see for instance:
http://keir.net/neutron.html
"Options in the program enable you to automatically obtain the time from
the time server and set your clock appropriately at program startup. It
is also possible to have the program automatically exit after the time
has been set and so is ideal for placing a shortcut in your Startup
folder to sync your clock when your computer is started."

> Honestly, it looks like 6 of one and a half dozen of the other to me.

Disagree.

>>Time Synchronizer 1.4 - http://www.itsamples.com/software/time.html
>>TimeSync 1.6 - http://home.mnet-online.de/horst.muc/wrem.htm#timesync

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://www.google.com/advanced_group....comp.freeware

hummingbird

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 11:32:40 -0400 'Susan Bugher'
posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:

>hummingbird wrote:
>> On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 11:04:18 -0400 '"K3"
>> <k3(86_the_Spam)@maine.rr.com>'
>> posted this onto alt.comp.freeware:

>>>Why run W32Time as a Service when one can run a small, no-install,
>>>non-resident utility to update the system time at Boot?

>> Surely you have to be online for them to synch, so that's not exactly
>> at Boot. But anyway, they both look quite good but I'm not sure what
>> the gain is unless you can run them as non-resident, else you have to
>> shut them down manually after a couple of mins of going online.

>That ain't necessarily so. . . I didn't check those particular
>apps but see for instance:
>http://keir.net/neutron.html
>"Options in the program enable you to automatically obtain the time from
>the time server and set your clock appropriately at program startup. It
>is also possible to have the program automatically exit after the time
>has been set and so is ideal for placing a shortcut in your Startup
>folder to sync your clock when your computer is started."

What ain't necessarily so Susan?
That you don't have to be on-line to set the time?

I've already d/l and run the first of them and it's quite cute
but it has no settings at all, let alone one to auto quit after
setting the time. And it takes 4MB of memory!

Can't say about the other but one thing I'm always wary of with
apps with hardcoded time servers in them is that the darn servers
stop working occasionally or go AWOL forever, then you're screwed.

>> Honestly, it looks like 6 of one and a half dozen of the other to me.

>Disagree.

As you wish.

>>>Time Synchronizer 1.4 - http://www.itsamples.com/software/time.html
>>>TimeSync 1.6 - http://home.mnet-online.de/horst.muc/wrem.htm#timesync

--
I don't like to do this but..here's a list of people killfiled
or mostly ignored by me on a.c.f. with immediate effect:
John Corliss: No.1 troll, bully, ignorant liar, troublemaker,
projection artist, a wannabe "do as I say, not as I do" jerk.
Franklin: No.1 dishonest quack quack quack stalker, blusterer,
patronising poop-stirrer and 'me too' troll.

Q escapes being in my Hall of Fame for now because his lies and
distortions of truth don't usually involve abuse. That may change.