Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > MOBO for new system

MOBO for new system

John

Its about that time when I am thinking of building a new system my
current one is about three and a half years old. Next one will be my
third build. I am just wondering what Motherboards you rate at the
moment?

I've not decided whether I am going for an AMD or Intel chip, it will
probably be AMD again (a dual core one) as I think they are still
better value and offer good OC potential.

As far as MOBOs go though I think I will probably need something with
4 SATA connections and a good number of USB2 connections as well, at
least six of them and at least two firewire sockets as well.

Apart from that, any recommendation for MOBOs that offer good value,
stability and compatibility would be appreciated as well as any tips
on what to look for.

Cheers

John

Current System:

Abit NF7-S
Sapphire Ati 9600
AMD Barton 2500
1024 pc3200 memory
Windows XP Pro (sp2) 32 bit.

nsag

I am a long term AMD fan.
I have almost all AMD desktops. My AMD dual core ubermachine blazes through
large Photoshop files fast enough for now.
If I were building a new system for personal use right now I would not even
consider AMD.
Intel clearly leapfrogged AMD with the Core Dual CPU: these clearly
outperform AMD chips at comparable price points.
MOBOs for general, as opposed to high end 3d gaming, use all perform about
the same. If you are not a gamer mobos with the current intel chipset are
fine. If you want the best performance NVidia based SLI boards are better
performers if you are considering dual video cards. Brand is not as big an
issue as it is made out to be as long as you avoid the lowest price no name
mobo.
Before buying/building a new computer I am waiting to see if mobos will soon
be vended that have enough flash memory to hold the entire OS. This will
raise performance to previously unseen levels.

tony sayer

In article <_bI7i.9735$(E-Mail Removed)>, nsag
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I am a long term AMD fan.
>I have almost all AMD desktops. My AMD dual core ubermachine blazes through
>large Photoshop files fast enough for now.
>If I were building a new system for personal use right now I would not even
>consider AMD.
>Intel clearly leapfrogged AMD with the Core Dual CPU: these clearly
>outperform AMD chips at comparable price points.
>MOBOs for general, as opposed to high end 3d gaming, use all perform about
>the same. If you are not a gamer mobos with the current intel chipset are
>fine. If you want the best performance NVidia based SLI boards are better
>performers if you are considering dual video cards. Brand is not as big an
>issue as it is made out to be as long as you avoid the lowest price no name
>mobo.

>Before buying/building a new computer I am waiting to see if mobos will soon
>be vended that have enough flash memory to hold the entire OS. This will
>raise performance to previously unseen levels.

Now that would be an excellent idea!, As would lower power consumption
and heat
--
Tony Sayer

Wizard

I use AMD processors and Abit boards. I have for many years now and have
never had either fail while always having a super fast and reliable
machine to work with.

John wrote:

> Its about that time when I am thinking of building a new system my
> current one is about three and a half years old. Next one will be my
> third build. I am just wondering what Motherboards you rate at the
> moment?
>
> I've not decided whether I am going for an AMD or Intel chip, it will
> probably be AMD again (a dual core one) as I think they are still
> better value and offer good OC potential.
>
> As far as MOBOs go though I think I will probably need something with
> 4 SATA connections and a good number of USB2 connections as well, at
> least six of them and at least two firewire sockets as well.
>
> Apart from that, any recommendation for MOBOs that offer good value,
> stability and compatibility would be appreciated as well as any tips
> on what to look for.
>
> Cheers
>
> John
>
> Current System:
>
> Abit NF7-S
> Sapphire Ati 9600
> AMD Barton 2500
> 1024 pc3200 memory
> Windows XP Pro (sp2) 32 bit.

John

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 10:24:17 +0100, tony sayer <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <_bI7i.9735$(E-Mail Removed)>, nsag
><(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>I am a long term AMD fan.
>>I have almost all AMD desktops. My AMD dual core ubermachine blazes through
>>large Photoshop files fast enough for now.
>>If I were building a new system for personal use right now I would not even
>>consider AMD.
>>Intel clearly leapfrogged AMD with the Core Dual CPU: these clearly
>>outperform AMD chips at comparable price points.
>>MOBOs for general, as opposed to high end 3d gaming, use all perform about
>>the same. If you are not a gamer mobos with the current intel chipset are
>>fine. If you want the best performance NVidia based SLI boards are better
>>performers if you are considering dual video cards. Brand is not as big an
>>issue as it is made out to be as long as you avoid the lowest price no name
>>mobo.

>>Before buying/building a new computer I am waiting to see if mobos will soon
>>be vended that have enough flash memory to hold the entire OS. This will
>>raise performance to previously unseen levels.
>>

>Now that would be an excellent idea!, As would lower power consumption
>and heat

Fraid I'm not as much of a big gamer anymore. Mainly use for internet,
music software like Cubase, office applications, a bit of Flight Sim,
DV Capture and editing and photo storage.

I wouldn't need the absolute best cpu or mobo that money can buy. What
I'm mainly looking for is something decent with good value and
compatibility. I'd probably only spend around 100 ($200 in USD) + or
- 20% for a CPU and maybe 80 ($160 in USD) + or - 25% on a Mobo.

John

tony sayer

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, John
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 10:24:17 +0100, tony sayer <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>In article <_bI7i.9735$(E-Mail Removed)>, nsag
>><(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>>I am a long term AMD fan.
>>>I have almost all AMD desktops. My AMD dual core ubermachine blazes through
>>>large Photoshop files fast enough for now.
>>>If I were building a new system for personal use right now I would not even
>>>consider AMD.
>>>Intel clearly leapfrogged AMD with the Core Dual CPU: these clearly
>>>outperform AMD chips at comparable price points.
>>>MOBOs for general, as opposed to high end 3d gaming, use all perform about
>>>the same. If you are not a gamer mobos with the current intel chipset are
>>>fine. If you want the best performance NVidia based SLI boards are better
>>>performers if you are considering dual video cards. Brand is not as big an
>>>issue as it is made out to be as long as you avoid the lowest price no name
>>>mobo.

>>>Before buying/building a new computer I am waiting to see if mobos will soon
>>>be vended that have enough flash memory to hold the entire OS. This will
>>>raise performance to previously unseen levels.
>>>

>>Now that would be an excellent idea!, As would lower power consumption
>>and heat

>Fraid I'm not as much of a big gamer anymore. Mainly use for internet,
>music software like Cubase, office applications, a bit of Flight Sim,
>DV Capture and editing and photo storage.
>
>I wouldn't need the absolute best cpu or mobo that money can buy. What
>I'm mainly looking for is something decent with good value and
>compatibility. I'd probably only spend around 100 ($200 in USD) + or
>- 20% for a CPU and maybe 80 ($160 in USD) + or - 25% on a Mobo.
>
>John

Used several makes in the past FWIW but Aesus for MOBO's AMD chips and
Seagate hard drives have served us well

Don't skimp on the Power supply .. a more expensive one will last longer
and run quieter which is rather pleasant as is a low noise cooling fan
--
Tony Sayer