Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP only sees 2.87 GB Ram

XP only sees 2.87 GB Ram

Bosco836

Hi. I have a computer (self built) with 3GB of ram in it. I just
added, 2 512MB sticks, (had 2 * 1GB sticks before), and the system
properties in Windows XP Pro, only reports 2.87 GB of ram installed
(the motherboard supports 4).

No ram is being used for video, as I have a dedicated video card.
However, the task manger, reports and sees the full 3GB.

I have searched around on various newsgroups for people with similar
problems, however, none of the answers really seemed to be
conclusive.

I'd appreciate any suggestions.

In case anyones wondering, the motherboard is an Intel 915 with a
3.00Ghz P4 HT

ian field

"Bosco836" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi. I have a computer (self built) with 3GB of ram in it. I just
> added, 2 512MB sticks, (had 2 * 1GB sticks before), and the system
> properties in Windows XP Pro, only reports 2.87 GB of ram installed
> (the motherboard supports 4).
>
> No ram is being used for video, as I have a dedicated video card.
> However, the task manger, reports and sees the full 3GB.
>
> I have searched around on various newsgroups for people with similar
> problems, however, none of the answers really seemed to be
> conclusive.
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions.
>
> In case anyones wondering, the motherboard is an Intel 915 with a
> 3.00Ghz P4 HT

Most boards I've seen have (at most) 2x SD slots & 2x DDR slots, and every
one I've seen its stated in the user manual - you can't use both types of
RAM simultaneously.

Bosco836

On May 31, 5:36 pm, "ian field" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Bosco836" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>

> > Hi. I have a computer (self built) with 3GB of ram in it. I just
> > added, 2 512MB sticks, (had 2 * 1GB sticks before), and the system
> > properties in Windows XP Pro, only reports 2.87 GB of ram installed
> > (the motherboard supports 4).

> > No ram is being used for video, as I have a dedicated video card.
> > However, the task manger, reports and sees the full 3GB.

> > I have searched around on various newsgroups for people with similar
> > problems, however, none of the answers really seemed to be
> > conclusive.

> > I'd appreciate any suggestions.

> > In case anyones wondering, the motherboard is an Intel 915 with a
> > 3.00Ghz P4 HT

> Most boards I've seen have (at most) 2x SD slots & 2x DDR slots, and every
> one I've seen its stated in the user manual - you can't use both types of
> RAM simultaneously.

I dont think there are 2 SD slots, as SD slots have little grooves cut
out for the ram to fit into, where as DDR(2) only has 1. ALso, DDR2
ram won't fit in an SD slot.

DrakeAL@gmail.com

On May 31, 5:29 pm, Bosco836 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi. I have a computer (self built) with 3GB of ram in it. I just
> added, 2 512MB sticks, (had 2 * 1GB sticks before), and the system
> properties in Windows XP Pro, only reports 2.87 GB of ram installed
> (the motherboard supports 4).
>
> No ram is being used for video, as I have a dedicated video card.
> However, the task manger, reports and sees the full 3GB.
>
> I have searched around on various newsgroups for people with similar
> problems, however, none of the answers really seemed to be
> conclusive.
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions.
>
> In case anyones wondering, the motherboard is an Intel 915 with a
> 3.00Ghz P4 HT

When you had the 2 GB did it report that correctly, or is this another
case of windows using base 2 math instead of base 10? Meaning windows
calls 1024 MB 1 GB and manufacturers call 1000 MB 1 GB?

Bosco836

On May 31, 6:03 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> On May 31, 5:29 pm, Bosco836 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Hi. I have a computer (self built) with 3GB of ram in it. I just
> > added, 2 512MB sticks, (had 2 * 1GB sticks before), and the system
> > properties in Windows XP Pro, only reports 2.87 GB of ram installed
> > (the motherboard supports 4).

> > No ram is being used for video, as I have a dedicated video card.
> > However, the task manger, reports and sees the full 3GB.

> > I have searched around on various newsgroups for people with similar
> > problems, however, none of the answers really seemed to be
> > conclusive.

> > I'd appreciate any suggestions.

> > In case anyones wondering, the motherboard is an Intel 915 with a
> > 3.00Ghz P4 HT

> When you had the 2 GB did it report that correctly, or is this another
> case of windows using base 2 math instead of base 10? Meaning windows
> calls 1024 MB 1 GB and manufacturers call 1000 MB 1 GB?

It reported the 2GB correctly before I added the ram it. I should
also state that the 2 new 512 sticks of ram ram - was replaced by
Kingston. They were previously installed by themselves and showed up
as 1GB. However, as the RMA took several days to process, I added the
2GB (2*1GB sticks) in. These showed up as 2GB even. However, when
the new ram arrived from Kingston this afternoon, after adding it in,
I now only see 2.87.

PeeCee

"Bosco836" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi. I have a computer (self built) with 3GB of ram in it. I just
> added, 2 512MB sticks, (had 2 * 1GB sticks before), and the system
> properties in Windows XP Pro, only reports 2.87 GB of ram installed
> (the motherboard supports 4).
>
> No ram is being used for video, as I have a dedicated video card.
> However, the task manger, reports and sees the full 3GB.
>
> I have searched around on various newsgroups for people with similar
> problems, however, none of the answers really seemed to be
> conclusive.
>
> I'd appreciate any suggestions.
>
> In case anyones wondering, the motherboard is an Intel 915 with a
> 3.00Ghz P4 HT

As I understand it it is a limitation of XP Pro.

Essentially, of the 4GB maximum XP can normally address, 2GB is reserved for
Applications and 2GB is reserved for the system (MS calls it 'Windows
Executive')
By using the /3GB switch in boot.ini you can increase the application space
to 3GB and reduce the system space to 1GB (this may be why you can see
2.87GB which is sorta close to 3GB)

This page
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system...AE/PAEmem.mspx may
help to explain though in typical MS style it's somewhat difficult to
follow.

In practical terms it means the hardware has outrun the software again.
In a way it's like in the 286/386 days when you could equip a PC with (say)
16MB of RAM but DOS only used 0.64MB of the available RAM.

Further reading:
http://support.asus.com/faq/faq.aspx...l=A8N-SLI%20SE
http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/4GB_Rev1.pdf
http://download.intel.com/support/mo...sb/ta71902.pdf

Best
Paul.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

Bosco836 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi. I have a computer (self built) with 3GB of ram in it. I just
>added, 2 512MB sticks, (had 2 * 1GB sticks before), and the system
>properties in Windows XP Pro, only reports 2.87 GB of ram installed
>(the motherboard supports 4).
>
> No ram is being used for video, as I have a dedicated video card.
>However, the task manger, reports and sees the full 3GB.
>
>I have searched around on various newsgroups for people with similar
>problems, however, none of the answers really seemed to be
>conclusive.
>
>I'd appreciate any suggestions.
>
>In case anyones wondering, the motherboard is an Intel 915 with a
>3.00Ghz P4 HT

I've got the same mother board you need to use DDR ram.
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/av/av_mem.htm

--

HTML HEAD Sterling Silver Earrings
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=6045947

Bosco836

There are several different models in the 915 series of boards, some
of which, support DDR2, including the PBL, which I have. (ref:
http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...model=D915PBL).
Furthermore, DDR and DDR2 ram are backwards compatible (to my
understanding).

On May 31, 10:28 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Bosco836 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >Hi. I have a computer (self built) with 3GB of ram in it. I just
> >added, 2 512MB sticks, (had 2 * 1GB sticks before), and the system
> >properties in Windows XP Pro, only reports 2.87 GB of ram installed
> >(the motherboard supports 4).

> > No ram is being used for video, as I have a dedicated video card.
> >However, the task manger, reports and sees the full 3GB.

> >I have searched around on various newsgroups for people with similar
> >problems, however, none of the answers really seemed to be
> >conclusive.

> >I'd appreciate any suggestions.

> >In case anyones wondering, the motherboard is an Intel 915 with a
> >3.00Ghz P4 HT

> I've got the same mother board you need to use DDR ram.http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/av/av_mem.htm
>
> --
>
> HTML HEAD Sterling Silver Earringshttp://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=6045947- Hide quoted text -

Christopher Syn

"Bosco836" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> There are several different models in the 915 series of boards, some
> of which, support DDR2, including the PBL, which I have. (ref:
> http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...model=D915PBL).
> Furthermore, DDR and DDR2 ram are backwards compatible (to my
> understanding).

nope.....

> On May 31, 10:28 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Bosco836 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> >Hi. I have a computer (self built) with 3GB of ram in it. I just
>> >added, 2 512MB sticks, (had 2 * 1GB sticks before), and the system
>> >properties in Windows XP Pro, only reports 2.87 GB of ram installed
>> >(the motherboard supports 4).

>> > No ram is being used for video, as I have a dedicated video card.
>> >However, the task manger, reports and sees the full 3GB.

>> >I have searched around on various newsgroups for people with similar
>> >problems, however, none of the answers really seemed to be
>> >conclusive.

>> >I'd appreciate any suggestions.

>> >In case anyones wondering, the motherboard is an Intel 915 with a
>> >3.00Ghz P4 HT

>> I've got the same mother board you need to use DDR
>> ram.http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/av/av_mem.htm
>>
>> --
>>
>> HTML HEAD Sterling Silver
>> Earringshttp://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=6045947- Hide
>> quoted text -

Larry

DDR2 is.

Larry
Behold Beware Believe

"Christopher Syn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dXZ7i.27$(E-Mail Removed)...
:
: "Bosco836" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
: > There are several different models in the 915 series of boards, some
: > of which, support DDR2, including the PBL, which I have. (ref:
: > http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...model=D915PBL).
: > Furthermore, DDR and DDR2 ram are backwards compatible (to my
: > understanding).
:
: nope.....
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
: >
: > On May 31, 10:28 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
: >> Bosco836 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: >> >Hi. I have a computer (self built) with 3GB of ram in it. I just
: >> >added, 2 512MB sticks, (had 2 * 1GB sticks before), and the system
: >> >properties in Windows XP Pro, only reports 2.87 GB of ram installed
: >> >(the motherboard supports 4).
: >>
: >> > No ram is being used for video, as I have a dedicated video card.
: >> >However, the task manger, reports and sees the full 3GB.
: >>
: >> >I have searched around on various newsgroups for people with similar
: >> >problems, however, none of the answers really seemed to be
: >> >conclusive.
: >>
: >> >I'd appreciate any suggestions.
: >>
: >> >In case anyones wondering, the motherboard is an Intel 915 with a
: >> >3.00Ghz P4 HT
: >>
: >> I've got the same mother board you need to use DDR
: >> ram.http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/av/av_mem.htm
: >>
: >> --
: >>