Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference

Assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference

Monty

I'm sure I'm missing something very obvious here, but... I have an ASP.Net
web application project (VS2005) that is compiled into a single DLL. I
created a setup and deployment package and set it up on a test machine. It
installed fine, but as soon as I started it I saw something I wanted to
change, so I made the change in my project, re-compiled it and then just
overwrote the original DLL on the test machine with the new one. When I
tried it out I got the error "Assembly's manifest definition does not match
the assembly reference". I have manually set the AssemblyVersion and
AssemblyFileVersion in the AssemblyInfo.vb file (ie. it is not
auto-incremented), so I had been thinking I could just rebuild my app and be
on my way. I don't want to have to use the Setup and Deployment package for
each iteration because it includes the massively bloated Crystal Reports
merge module and takes forever to FTP. Can anyone point me in the right
direction? TIA.

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Monty,

Is the assembly strong named?

Please use fusion log viewer to find out the detailed causes of why the
assembly failed to load:

#Suzanne Cook's .NET CLR Notes : Debugging Assembly Loading Failures
http://blogs.msdn.com/suzcook/archiv.../29/57120.aspx

#Junfeng Zhang's Windows Programming Notes : Fusion binding log and
fuslogvw.exe
http://blogs.msdn.com/junfeng/archiv.../14/72912.aspx

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Monty,

Let me know if there's anything else I can help. Thanks.