Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Defrag

Defrag

Evan Platt

On Thu, 31 May 2007 16:32:12 -0500, Clancy Wiggum <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>CMD.exe
>
>Start a new CMD shell
>
>Syntax
> CMD [charset] [options] [My_Command]

> /C Carries out My_Command and then terminates
> /K Carries out My_Command but remains
>
>Use the /k switch - make sure you also type CMD just like pennywise
>said:
>
>cmd /k defrag /?

Yeah, I know how to get to a dos prompt, thanks.

Just wondering what the setting is to keep the dos window open so when
you do say start, run, defrag <enter>, it keeps the window open.

Stara Suka

Did you go into Control Panel?Add/Remove Programs, and uninstall the
crap program yet?

"Mr Pounder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0vG7i.28866$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
:
: "Evan Platt" <evan@*******************************> wrote in message
: news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: > On Thu, 31 May 2007 12:50:29 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
wrote:
: >
: >>Start | Run <type in>
: >>DEFRAG /?
: >><enter>
: >>
: >>should get you to the default defrag program
: >
: > It will.. For about half a second.
:
: Yes, for about 4 seconds
:
: Steve
: > --
: > To reply via e-mail, remove The Obvious from my e-mail address.
:
:

Clancy Wiggum

Evan Platt wrote:

>Yeah, I know how to get to a dos prompt, thanks.
>
>Just wondering what the setting is to keep the dos window open so when
>you do say start, run, defrag <enter>, it keeps the window open.

I don't understand. If you invoke defrag with the command "cmd" in
front of the program "defrag" and use the /k switch - it will stay
open. If you just type "defrag" in the 'run' dialog it won't work.

Vanguard

"Mr Pounder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:S5F7i.28798$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
> New to XP pro.
> Recently installed Diskeeper Lite which is freeware
> When I go to accessories & click on defrag I only get the option of
> Diskeeper Lite.
>
> Is this normal?

So if you really don't want to use Diskeeper Lite then uninstall it.
Could be lots of reasons why the original MS defrag doesn't work:
Diskeeper lite replaced it with its own version, the PATH environment
variable got changed so the original defrag.exe won't be found unless
you specify the entire path to it, they added a redirect in the
registry, they leave something continually running in memory that
interferes with the original version, and so on.

Use one or the other. Pick one. Using one and then using another means
they will continually think the disk is not defragmented to their own
standards. One defrags one way and the other defrags in another way so
each tries to undo part of what the other did. Just use ONE!

Did you even bother to read the article at the link you were given by
Pennywise? You didn't see the mention that MS defrag might get
disabled? Did you go to www.diskeeper.com and notice that they don't
even provide a download for their Lite version, anymore? What you get
from the download sites is an old version that isn't supported. Some
download sites, like download.com (Cnet) won't carry old unsupported
flaky versions, so be leery of someplace that simply archives
everything. If you go to
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1207, notice the date is
5-1/2 years ago (back when Diskeeper Corp was called Executive SoftwareŽ
International Inc). I also tried Diskeeper Lite but gave up on it years
ago (too long to remember why).

If old and unsupported software doesn't work, don't use it.

Mr Pounder

"Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> "Mr Pounder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:S5F7i.28798$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
>> New to XP pro.
>> Recently installed Diskeeper Lite which is freeware
>> When I go to accessories & click on defrag I only get the option of
>> Diskeeper Lite.
>>
>> Is this normal?

> So if you really don't want to use Diskeeper Lite then uninstall it. Could
> be lots of reasons why the original MS defrag doesn't work: Diskeeper lite
> replaced it with its own version, the PATH environment variable got
> changed so the original defrag.exe won't be found unless you specify the
> entire path to it, they added a redirect in the registry, they leave
> something continually running in memory that interferes with the original
> version, and so on.

I did not say that I did not want to use Diskeeper Lite.

> Use one or the other. Pick one. Using one and then using another means
> they will continually think the disk is not defragmented to their own
> standards. One defrags one way and the other defrags in another way so
> each tries to undo part of what the other did. Just use ONE!
>
> Did you even bother to read the article at the link you were given by
> Pennywise?

Yes, but it was too late.

You didn't see the mention that MS defrag might get
> disabled?

Too late.

Did you go to www.diskeeper.com and notice that they don't
> even provide a download for their Lite version, anymore? What you get
> from the download sites is an old version that isn't supported. Some
> download sites, like download.com (Cnet) won't carry old unsupported flaky
> versions, so be leery of someplace that simply archives everything. If
> you go to http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1207, notice the date
> is 5-1/2 years ago (back when Diskeeper Corp was called Executive
> SoftwareŽ International Inc). I also tried Diskeeper Lite but gave up on
> it years ago (too long to remember why).
>
> If old and unsupported software doesn't work, don't use it.

IObit seems to be okay.

Thanks

Steve

Vanguard

"Mr Pounder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JC_7i.29426$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...

> "Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> "Mr Pounder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:S5F7i.28798$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
>>> New to XP pro.
>>> Recently installed Diskeeper Lite which is freeware
>>> When I go to accessories & click on defrag I only get the option of
>>> Diskeeper Lite.
>>>
>>> Is this normal?

>> So if you really don't want to use Diskeeper Lite then uninstall it.
>> Could be lots of reasons why the original MS defrag doesn't work:
>> Diskeeper lite replaced it with its own version, the PATH environment
>> variable got changed so the original defrag.exe won't be found unless
>> you specify the entire path to it, they added a redirect in the
>> registry, they leave something continually running in memory that
>> interferes with the original version, and so on.

> I did not say that I did not want to use Diskeeper Lite.
>>
>> Use one or the other. Pick one. Using one and then using another
>> means they will continually think the disk is not defragmented to
>> their own standards. One defrags one way and the other defrags in
>> another way so each tries to undo part of what the other did. Just
>> use ONE!
>>
>> Did you even bother to read the article at the link you were given by
>> Pennywise?

> Yes, but it was too late.
>
> You didn't see the mention that MS defrag might get
>> disabled?

> Too late.
>
> Did you go to www.diskeeper.com and notice that they don't
>> even provide a download for their Lite version, anymore? What you
>> get from the download sites is an old version that isn't supported.
>> Some download sites, like download.com (Cnet) won't carry old
>> unsupported flaky versions, so be leery of someplace that simply
>> archives everything. If you go to
>> http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1207, notice the date is
>> 5-1/2 years ago (back when Diskeeper Corp was called Executive
>> SoftwareŽ International Inc). I also tried Diskeeper Lite but gave
>> up on it years ago (too long to remember why).
>>
>> If old and unsupported software doesn't work, don't use it.

> IObit seems to be okay.

Uninstalling Diskeeper didn't get MS defrag working again? Yikes.

How to see frag/defrag utilization of the router. AM Cisco 2 11-26-2005 03:06 AM
defrag sandy MCSE 1 10-16-2003 02:09 AM
defrag Keith MCSE 4 08-20-2003 08:27 PM
"Data that will not be moved" during defrag - why? Johnny Gyno Computer Support 9 07-08-2003 03:01 AM
Slow Defrag Bev Computer Support 17 07-05-2003 09:13 PM

Advertisments