Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > How to install Xp Pro x64 using MSDN DVD packs.

How to install Xp Pro x64 using MSDN DVD packs.

=?Utf-8?B?R2F1cmF2?=

Hi!

I just bought a new Campaq Presario V3149 AU with XP Media Center 2005
Installed. It has an AMD Turion 64 X2 processor. I need to use it for my
development and also have MSDN subscription DVDs available with me.

My question is i need to install Win XP pro x64 version on the laptop. How
do I go about it?

The MSDN DVD available with me (EN_OS_XP_2428. contains dump of 64Bit-x64
XP Pro software. But when i try to install it through the MSDN DVD available
it does not take the x64 key during installation but instead is taking the
32-bit version's key.

As I read through various articles, it seems that installing the x64 version
is not the same as for 32 bit versions.

Can someone help me out as to how to install the x64 bit version?

Thanks in advance!
Best Regards!
Gaurav.

Theo

Are you booting from the DVD or are you starting the Setup
while in Windows?

You must have a disc with a bootable image on it to boot
from to run the setup for x64. The setup initialization
puts the CPU in the x64 mode instead of the x86 mode.

I'm not a MSDN subscriber, but I thought XP 32-bit and XP
x64 were 2 entirely different packages. Win XP Pro x64 is
based on Win 2003 Server, but is only published in the
64-bit configuration.

Gaurav wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I just bought a new Campaq Presario V3149 AU with XP Media Center 2005
> Installed. It has an AMD Turion 64 X2 processor. I need to use it for my
> development and also have MSDN subscription DVDs available with me.
>
> My question is i need to install Win XP pro x64 version on the laptop. How
> do I go about it?
>
> The MSDN DVD available with me (EN_OS_XP_2428. contains dump of 64Bit-x64
> XP Pro software. But when i try to install it through the MSDN DVD available
> it does not take the x64 key during installation but instead is taking the
> 32-bit version's key.
>
> As I read through various articles, it seems that installing the x64 version
> is not the same as for 32 bit versions.
>
> Can someone help me out as to how to install the x64 bit version?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Best Regards!
> Gaurav.

Charlie Russel - MVP

There's a known bug with the MSDN DVDs and x64 - they don't work. You need
to use the ISO DVD to burn an ISO image of the OS to a CD. MSDN includes
both an ISO images DVD and the multi-boot DVD version. Locate the ISO image
DVD that has XP x64 on it, and burn a CD from the ISO image.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"Gaurav" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi!
>
> I just bought a new Campaq Presario V3149 AU with XP Media Center 2005
> Installed. It has an AMD Turion 64 X2 processor. I need to use it for my
> development and also have MSDN subscription DVDs available with me.
>
> My question is i need to install Win XP pro x64 version on the laptop. How
> do I go about it?
>
> The MSDN DVD available with me (EN_OS_XP_2428. contains dump of
> 64Bit-x64
> XP Pro software. But when i try to install it through the MSDN DVD
> available
> it does not take the x64 key during installation but instead is taking the
> 32-bit version's key.
>
> As I read through various articles, it seems that installing the x64
> version
> is not the same as for 32 bit versions.
>
> Can someone help me out as to how to install the x64 bit version?
>
> Thanks in advance!
> Best Regards!
> Gaurav.

=?Utf-8?B?R2F1cmF2?=

Hi Theo!

I'm booting from the DVD which has a dump (not an ISO image) of WinXP x64
version. The DVD on startup asks me to choose from Win XP Home, Windows XP
Media Center, Windows XP Professional editions.

Doesn't ask for any x64 bit config. As pointed out by Charlie there seems to
be a bug in MSN DVDs.

Need to look for ISO images, which from the Labels of the DVDs are not
present in the kit. Will deep dive into contents of all & get back.

Best Regards!
Gaurav.

"Theo" wrote:

> Are you booting from the DVD or are you starting the Setup
> while in Windows?
>
> You must have a disc with a bootable image on it to boot
> from to run the setup for x64. The setup initialization
> puts the CPU in the x64 mode instead of the x86 mode.
>
> I'm not a MSDN subscriber, but I thought XP 32-bit and XP
> x64 were 2 entirely different packages. Win XP Pro x64 is
> based on Win 2003 Server, but is only published in the
> 64-bit configuration.
>
> Gaurav wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I just bought a new Campaq Presario V3149 AU with XP Media Center 2005
> > Installed. It has an AMD Turion 64 X2 processor. I need to use it for my
> > development and also have MSDN subscription DVDs available with me.
> >
> > My question is i need to install Win XP pro x64 version on the laptop. How
> > do I go about it?
> >
> > The MSDN DVD available with me (EN_OS_XP_2428. contains dump of 64Bit-x64
> > XP Pro software. But when i try to install it through the MSDN DVD available
> > it does not take the x64 key during installation but instead is taking the
> > 32-bit version's key.
> >
> > As I read through various articles, it seems that installing the x64 version
> > is not the same as for 32 bit versions.
> >
> > Can someone help me out as to how to install the x64 bit version?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> > Best Regards!
> > Gaurav.

Theo

I think the complication comes in because of the 32-bit and
64-bit differences. I am not a programmer and don't know
what it would take, if practical, to switch between 32-bit
and 64-bit mode in the setup, but I know you cannot install
x64 while in the 32-bit mode..

Gaurav wrote:
> Hi Theo!
>
> I'm booting from the DVD which has a dump (not an ISO image) of WinXP x64
> version. The DVD on startup asks me to choose from Win XP Home, Windows XP
> Media Center, Windows XP Professional editions.
>
> Doesn't ask for any x64 bit config. As pointed out by Charlie there seems to
> be a bug in MSN DVDs.
>
> Need to look for ISO images, which from the Labels of the DVDs are not
> present in the kit. Will deep dive into contents of all & get back.
>
> Best Regards!
> Gaurav.
>
> "Theo" wrote:
>
>> Are you booting from the DVD or are you starting the Setup
>> while in Windows?
>>
>> You must have a disc with a bootable image on it to boot
>> from to run the setup for x64. The setup initialization
>> puts the CPU in the x64 mode instead of the x86 mode.
>>
>> I'm not a MSDN subscriber, but I thought XP 32-bit and XP
>> x64 were 2 entirely different packages. Win XP Pro x64 is
>> based on Win 2003 Server, but is only published in the
>> 64-bit configuration.
>>
>> Gaurav wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I just bought a new Campaq Presario V3149 AU with XP Media Center 2005
>>> Installed. It has an AMD Turion 64 X2 processor. I need to use it for my
>>> development and also have MSDN subscription DVDs available with me.
>>>
>>> My question is i need to install Win XP pro x64 version on the laptop. How
>>> do I go about it?
>>>
>>> The MSDN DVD available with me (EN_OS_XP_2428. contains dump of 64Bit-x64
>>> XP Pro software. But when i try to install it through the MSDN DVD available
>>> it does not take the x64 key during installation but instead is taking the
>>> 32-bit version's key.
>>>
>>> As I read through various articles, it seems that installing the x64 version
>>> is not the same as for 32 bit versions.
>>>
>>> Can someone help me out as to how to install the x64 bit version?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>> Best Regards!
>>> Gaurav.

=?Utf-8?B?R2F1cmF2?=

Hi Charlie!

I've scanned through my MSDN kit ans was unable to locate an ISO image of
the WinXP Pro x64 bit version. Tried talking to the MSDN support team, which
went into a long loop & chain of call transfers. Will try to get back to the
MS team for the ISO image.

In the meanwhile, I was able to locate an ISO image of Win 2003 Ent R2
version and instead loaded that OS.

Just wondering, now that I have a 64 bit footprint on my boot image, will I
be able to install XP 64 bit? surely can try it out also, but don't want to
avoid messing up the whole effort already spent on installing Win 2003
edition.

Thanks anywaz!
Gaurav.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> There's a known bug with the MSDN DVDs and x64 - they don't work. You need
> to use the ISO DVD to burn an ISO image of the OS to a CD. MSDN includes
> both an ISO images DVD and the multi-boot DVD version. Locate the ISO image
> DVD that has XP x64 on it, and burn a CD from the ISO image.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Gaurav" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi!
> >
> > I just bought a new Campaq Presario V3149 AU with XP Media Center 2005
> > Installed. It has an AMD Turion 64 X2 processor. I need to use it for my
> > development and also have MSDN subscription DVDs available with me.
> >
> > My question is i need to install Win XP pro x64 version on the laptop. How
> > do I go about it?
> >
> > The MSDN DVD available with me (EN_OS_XP_2428. contains dump of
> > 64Bit-x64
> > XP Pro software. But when i try to install it through the MSDN DVD
> > available
> > it does not take the x64 key during installation but instead is taking the
> > 32-bit version's key.
> >
> > As I read through various articles, it seems that installing the x64
> > version
> > is not the same as for 32 bit versions.
> >
> > Can someone help me out as to how to install the x64 bit version?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> > Best Regards!
> > Gaurav.

=?Utf-8?B?R2F1cmF2?=

Hi There!

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> There's a known bug with the MSDN DVDs and x64 - they don't work. You need
> to use the ISO DVD to burn an ISO image of the OS to a CD. MSDN includes
> both an ISO images DVD and the multi-boot DVD version. Locate the ISO image
> DVD that has XP x64 on it, and burn a CD from the ISO image.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>

> "Gaurav" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi!
> >
> > I just bought a new Campaq Presario V3149 AU with XP Media Center 2005
> > Installed. It has an AMD Turion 64 X2 processor. I need to use it for my
> > development and also have MSDN subscription DVDs available with me.
> >
> > My question is i need to install Win XP pro x64 version on the laptop. How
> > do I go about it?
> >
> > The MSDN DVD available with me (EN_OS_XP_2428. contains dump of
> > 64Bit-x64
> > XP Pro software. But when i try to install it through the MSDN DVD
> > available
> > it does not take the x64 key during installation but instead is taking the
> > 32-bit version's key.
> >
> > As I read through various articles, it seems that installing the x64
> > version
> > is not the same as for 32 bit versions.
> >
> > Can someone help me out as to how to install the x64 bit version?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> > Best Regards!
> > Gaurav.

Charlie Russel - MVP

You should have it in there - I know I do. And if you can't find it, you can
download it from the MSDN site.

This will not change your ability to boot off of a DVD and run load the x64
versions from it.