Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Blue screen crash data (how do you interpret it?)

Blue screen crash data (how do you interpret it?)

genericaudioperson@hotmail.com

I copied down the information on the blue screen when the system
crashed. It seems to happen often when I try to click on a YouTube
video.

This is the data:

Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal

Stop: 0x000000D1 (0X0000075C, 0X00000002, 0X00000001, 0XA9BF9c34)

WPN111.sys - Address A9BF9C34 base at A9BBC000 Date stamp 4537ab28

any idea what this data means?

I know the WPN111 is my wireless USB component attached to the
computer. I saw some things called "registry cleaners" on the
internet. But the computer is brand new, so I'm not sure if that's
the solution.

Mr. Arnold

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I copied down the information on the blue screen when the system
> crashed. It seems to happen often when I try to click on a YouTube
> video.
>
> This is the data:
>
> Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal
>
> Stop: 0x000000D1 (0X0000075C, 0X00000002, 0X00000001, 0XA9BF9c34)
>
> WPN111.sys - Address A9BF9C34 base at A9BBC000 Date stamp 4537ab28
>

> any idea what this data means?
>
> I know the WPN111 is my wireless USB component attached to the
> computer. I saw some things called "registry cleaners" on the
> internet. But the computer is brand new, so I'm not sure if that's
> the solution.

Your friend is Google.

Paul

> I copied down the information on the blue screen when the system
> crashed. It seems to happen often when I try to click on a YouTube
> video.
>
> This is the data:
>
> Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal
>
> Stop: 0x000000D1 (0X0000075C, 0X00000002, 0X00000001, 0XA9BF9c34)
>
> WPN111.sys - Address A9BF9C34 base at A9BBC000 Date stamp 4537ab28
>

> any idea what this data means?
>
> I know the WPN111 is my wireless USB component attached to the
> computer. I saw some things called "registry cleaners" on the
> internet. But the computer is brand new, so I'm not sure if that's
> the solution.

http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

"0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process
IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver
(one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by
faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile."

Can you switch over to a wired network connection, and repeat the
Youtube experiment ? If you view videos that use a different codec
(or code path), do you still see the problem ?

I think it is a bit early to be applying bandaids, because
you don't know exactly what is broken.

Looking at the Netgear site, they don't offer any release notes
for their software package, so I cannot tell if their current
package fixes anything or not.

If you want memory test programs to play with, there is memtest86+
from memtest.org . There is also a similar memory tester provided
by Microsoft. The memtest86+ program will run forever, until you
tell it to quit, at which point the computer will reboot.

http://www.memtest.org/ (program is called memtest86+)
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp (mtinst.exe)

Paul

Neil Green

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I copied down the information on the blue screen when
>the system
> crashed. It seems to happen often when I try to
> click on a YouTube
> video.
>
> This is the data:
>
> Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal
>
> Stop: 0x000000D1 (0X0000075C, 0X00000002,
> 0X00000001, 0XA9BF9c34)
>
> WPN111.sys - Address A9BF9C34 base at A9BBC000 Date
> stamp 4537ab28
>

> any idea what this data means?
>
> I know the WPN111 is my wireless USB component
> attached to the
> computer. I saw some things called "registry
> cleaners" on the
> internet. But the computer is brand new, so I'm not
> sure if that's
> the solution.

First the monitor, now the USB?
It's most probably RAM, but it pays to be sure.
If you have two sticks in the PC interchange them and
see if the problem disappears.
If you only have one run Memtest.
Some of the cheap generic RAM is rubbish.

Wizard

A kernal-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location
without authorization... Typically caused by a faulty or incompatible
hardware or software ...

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I copied down the information on the blue screen when the system
> crashed. It seems to happen often when I try to click on a YouTube
> video.
>
> This is the data:
>
> Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal
>
> Stop: 0x000000D1 (0X0000075C, 0X00000002, 0X00000001, 0XA9BF9c34)
>
> WPN111.sys - Address A9BF9C34 base at A9BBC000 Date stamp 4537ab28
>
> any idea what this data means?
>
> I know the WPN111 is my wireless USB component attached to the
> computer. I saw some things called "registry cleaners" on the
> internet. But the computer is brand new, so I'm not sure if that's
> the solution.

genericaudioperson@hotmail.com

I don't know if it's the monitor or the usb or neither or both. I
don't think it's the monitor at this point. As far as I know, a
simple VGA monitor has a data path of one direction. It goes from the
computer out to the monitor. I was simply trying to rule out the
monitor. It's kind of like a crime scene and the suspects are being
brought in for questioning. At this point I'm taking the monitor off
the suspect list.

The ram idea is interesting. The computer is from a quality name-
brand company. I'm guessing the RAM is of mid-grade quality. Not the
best stuff, but not terrible stuff either. I will call tech support
later today, ask them about the RAM and these error messages.

Paul

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I don't know if it's the monitor or the usb or neither or both. I
> don't think it's the monitor at this point. As far as I know, a
> simple VGA monitor has a data path of one direction. It goes from the
> computer out to the monitor. I was simply trying to rule out the
> monitor. It's kind of like a crime scene and the suspects are being
> brought in for questioning. At this point I'm taking the monitor off
> the suspect list.
>
> The ram idea is interesting. The computer is from a quality name-
> brand company. I'm guessing the RAM is of mid-grade quality. Not the
> best stuff, but not terrible stuff either. I will call tech support
> later today, ask them about the RAM and these error messages.

The VGA consists of a couple parts. The RGBHV analog signals flow
from the computer to the display. Not really a source of problems.
The H and V are sync, determining when flyback of the CRT beam should
occur. RGB are for the colors.

There is a second component, a serial bus. The computer queries the monitor
when the driver starts. The info is stored in an EDID serial EEPROM inside
the monitor. The EDID contains resolution info, like 1280x1024 at 75Hz,
that kind of thing. It is possible the info has a checksum, so if it is
corrupted, the driver could simply ignore it. Again, not something I
would consider as a prime candidate for crashing.

Video cards plug into a system bus, and yes, there are more potential
ways for something like that to crash a computer. Similarly,
corrupted memory is good at giving a variety of symptoms. The
reason I recommend tests to you, is I know you have a "Tech Support"
alternative, but when the computer comes back from them, I'd want
some tests that can verify they did their jobs well. Either they
should be running the tests (and tell you which tests they ran and
for how long). Or you can run the tests yourself, to prove whatever
they fixed or replaced, really is fixed.

Tools like memtest86+, Prime95, and 3DMark are a start at testing
the computer. For hard drives, you can go to the hard drive makers
site, and download a test program, to see if the drive is a good
one or not.

I don't buy a lot of machines, but when I bought one as a gift for
someone else, I was shocked to find that the company providing them,
didn't know you could test memory. I actually gave them a floppy with
memtest86+ on it! I guess if enough customers visit them, they'll
get a complete test suite It took me a couple visits to the
store, until they gave me some working RAM. And the stuff they
did give me, I consider to be "floor sweepings" quality. I ended
up replacing it, before the gift was delivered to its final destination.

Paul

genericaudioperson@hotmail.com

Thanks, Paul.

The computer has some diagnostics you can run upon power-up. One of
them is called a memory test. Maybe I should run that one (that's a
new idea for me; I've never tested memory before).

genericaudioperson@hotmail.com

I ran the computer's memory diagnostics tests. The system passed all
the tests. But I'm not sure how rigorous the tests are since it took
only about 10 minutes to perform all the tests.

Paul

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I ran the computer's memory diagnostics tests. The system passed all
> the tests. But I'm not sure how rigorous the tests are since it took
> only about 10 minutes to perform all the tests.

Memtest86+ and the Microsoft tester, are different compared to other
memory test programs, in that they don't use an OS, and you boot the
computer with the test program. Memtest86+ tests every byte of the memory
(the program actually lifts itself out of the way, and tests where the
code used to sit). These testers are not a "final authority" on memory
testing, and in fact experience has shown that no memory tester dedicated
to the task, catches everything. The purpose of this first level of testing,
is to give the memory a quick check for "stuck bytes". Two complete passes
of memtest86+ is generally enough, and then you can move on.

There are some test programs which run on top of the Windows OS, and
their job is to be a more "stressful" test. They have been known to find
errors which are memory related, or errors which are processor or Northbridge
related. Prime95 and Orthos are two examples of programs like that. If
there is a computing error, the programs detect it, and the test stops.
A good computer can run those tests for hours. (But the memory segment
that gets tested, cannot be the portion occupied by the OS, so the percentage
of coverage is not as good.)

So both kinds of tests are recommended.

If both kinds of tests run without a problem, then you can try some video
related ones, like running 3DMark or even using a 3D game. Such programs
do computing, just like Prime95, but you've already proved that stressful
computing works with the Prime95 test. Which, in theory, leaves the video
card behavior as the added test coverage.

I would say right now, that since you've used some kind of memory
tester, your next test should be Prime95 (downloadable from mersenne.org).

Paul