Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Linksys WAG54G Wireless Router & PCMCIA Wireless Card

Linksys WAG54G Wireless Router & PCMCIA Wireless Card

Clayton

I brought this router about 6 months ago and now and then the wired router
would stop working and no lights on the front indicating it being down, I
would power it off and on again and would start working again until the next
time it fails, that's one problem. My major issue is that the PCMCIA
wireless card in the notebook would lose it's connection many times a day,
it maybe an issue with SP-2 but not sure.

Malke

Clayton wrote:

> I brought this router about 6 months ago and now and then the wired
> router would stop working and no lights on the front indicating it
> being down, I would power it off and on again and would start working
> again until the next time it fails, that's one problem. My major issue
> is that the PCMCIA wireless card in the notebook would lose it's
> connection many times a day, it maybe an issue with SP-2 but not sure.

If the lights on the wired router are going off, then you either have a
problem with your ISP or the router is failing (hardware). Just because
the hardware is new doesn't mean it can't fail. If the router is
failing (I assume you have a combination wired/wireless router since
you didn't specify), that would explain the loss of connectivity.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

news.ntlworld.com

"My major issue is that the PCMCIA wireless card in the notebook would lose
it's connection many times a day, it maybe an issue with SP-2 but not sure."

For what it's worth - I had the issue where my PCMIA cards were dropping
the connection and would not re-establish unless I rebooted. I turned out to
be an issue with strong encryption - with encryption removed, they work
fine. It took about two weeks of calls to and from tech support at Belkin to
sort this out.
Odd.

Mick

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

"Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Clayton wrote:
>
>> I brought this router about 6 months ago and now and then the wired
>> router would stop working and no lights on the front indicating it
>> being down, I would power it off and on again and would start working
>> again until the next time it fails, that's one problem. My major issue
>> is that the PCMCIA wireless card in the notebook would lose it's
>> connection many times a day, it maybe an issue with SP-2 but not sure.

> If the lights on the wired router are going off, then you either have a
> problem with your ISP or the router is failing (hardware). Just because
> the hardware is new doesn't mean it can't fail. If the router is
> failing (I assume you have a combination wired/wireless router since
> you didn't specify), that would explain the loss of connectivity.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

Clayton

There is no encryption set, I would like to know if the problem is with the
router or PCMCIA card

"news.ntlworld.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XWYsd.33$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "My major issue is that the PCMCIA wireless card in the notebook would
> lose it's connection many times a day, it maybe an issue with SP-2 but not
> sure."
>
> For what it's worth - I had the issue where my PCMIA cards were dropping
> the connection and would not re-establish unless I rebooted. I turned out
> to be an issue with strong encryption - with encryption removed, they work
> fine. It took about two weeks of calls to and from tech support at Belkin
> to sort this out.
> Odd.
>
> Mick

> "Are you still wasting your time with spam?...
> There is a solution!"
>
> Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector
> The most powerful anti-spam software available.
> http://mail.spaminspector.com
>

> "Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Clayton wrote:
>>
>>> I brought this router about 6 months ago and now and then the wired
>>> router would stop working and no lights on the front indicating it
>>> being down, I would power it off and on again and would start working
>>> again until the next time it fails, that's one problem. My major issue
>>> is that the PCMCIA wireless card in the notebook would lose it's
>>> connection many times a day, it maybe an issue with SP-2 but not sure.

>> If the lights on the wired router are going off, then you either have a
>> problem with your ISP or the router is failing (hardware). Just because
>> the hardware is new doesn't mean it can't fail. If the router is
>> failing (I assume you have a combination wired/wireless router since
>> you didn't specify), that would explain the loss of connectivity.
>>
>> Malke
>> --
>> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Elephant Boy Computers
>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>> "Don't Panic!"

Peter Bui[MS]

The problem is most likely with the router. As a simple test, why don't you
try connecting to other wireless networks that you have access to, like
maybe a friend's, using the PCMCIA card.

"Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e$(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is no encryption set, I would like to know if the problem is with
> the router or PCMCIA card
>
> "news.ntlworld.com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:XWYsd.33$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "My major issue is that the PCMCIA wireless card in the notebook would
>> lose it's connection many times a day, it maybe an issue with SP-2 but
>> not sure."
>>
>> For what it's worth - I had the issue where my PCMIA cards were dropping
>> the connection and would not re-establish unless I rebooted. I turned out
>> to be an issue with strong encryption - with encryption removed, they
>> work fine. It took about two weeks of calls to and from tech support at
>> Belkin to sort this out.
>> Odd.
>>
>> Mick
>> --

>> "Are you still wasting your time with spam?...
>> There is a solution!"
>>
>> Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector
>> The most powerful anti-spam software available.
>> http://mail.spaminspector.com
>>

>> "Malke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> If the lights on the wired router are going off, then you either have a
>>> problem with your ISP or the router is failing (hardware). Just because
>>> the hardware is new doesn't mean it can't fail. If the router is
>>> failing (I assume you have a combination wired/wireless router since
>>> you didn't specify), that would explain the loss of connectivity.
>>>
>>> Malke
>>> --
>>> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
>>> Elephant Boy Computers
>>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
>>> "Don't Panic!"

Clayton

I have connected to the router using my Toshiba Tecra 8200 notebook with the
internal wireless built in and that has been very stable, I think this
notebook runs a or b and not the g

news:(E-Mail Removed)...