Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Understanding TCP/IP

Understanding TCP/IP

=?Utf-8?B?U01D?=

On page 2-52 in the Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure book the
question is asking what the configuration error is? The answer is that the
subnet mask should be /28. Why?

SC

no, well maybe, to be honest im a troll and have no idea

Its been a while since I've done this but here goes.

With a 27 bit mask you're borrowing 3 bits from the last
8 bit octet. That means your rough IP range size is in
chunks of 32 (as per instruction on page 2-32 Estimating
Subnet Address Ranges). Giving you the following subnets

192.168.2.0 - 192.168.2.31
192.168.2.32 - 192.168.2.63
192.168.2.160 - 192.168.2.191

Given this, the computers Client A and B and C and D
would all be in the same subnet (since all of their IP's
fall in the same range now) this wouldnt work as you need
to access a router to get to each network segment (in
todays networks it might work, though that would be due
to the router using smart features to fix your subnetting
mistake ..good luck creating overlapping DHCP ranges on
an MS server).

Anyway, with a 28 bit mask, you're borrowing 4 bits for
your subnets (more nets less hosts) so smaller host
ranges and it would turn out as follows. (4 bits turns
out to 16 hosts).

192.168.2.0 - 192.168.2.15
192.168.2.16 - 192.168.2.31
192.168.2.160 - 192.168.2.175
192.168.2.176 - 192.168.2.191

With this scenario your A and B computers (which are in
the same network, (as the hub is not a routed device) and
the C and D devices are also on their own network range.
This allows your communication to happen as it should,
using the gateway and router to find hosts other side.

Just my guess though

-J